-   -   Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/106954-im-blog-email-service-best-debian-users.html)

Star Liu 06-15-2008 01:32 AM

Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to ask this silly question here. I'm now using the microsoft live messenger, live spaces and hotmail as my IM, blog and email service provider, because i'm a windows user for a so long time. Two weeks before, I installed debian etch and lenny, and i like it very much. I'd like to get your opinions about which IM, blog and email services which suits debian best. Thanks!

Ron Johnson 06-15-2008 02:47 AM

Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

Lee Glidewell 06-15-2008 03:52 AM

On Saturday 14 June 2008 06:32:59 pm Star Liu wrote:
> Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to ask this silly question here. I'm now using the
> microsoft live messenger, live spaces and hotmail as my IM, blog and email
> service provider, because i'm a windows user for a so long time. Two weeks
> before, I installed debian etch and lenny, and i like it very much. I'd
> like to get your opinions about which IM, blog and email services which
> suits debian best. Thanks!

There's no reason you can't use those services with Debian. Hotmail webmail
is, of course, OS-independent; Kopete and Pidgin have limited support for MSN
Messenger (as well as all the other popular IM protocols), and Emesene has
more full-featured support; I'm not sure about Live Spaces, as this is the
first I've heard of it, but if it's web-based and doesn't require ActiveX, it
will work fine with any OS.

If you're looking for things that are ideologically compatible with Debian's
mission statement, then Jabber would be your IM protocol (jabber.org and
GoogleTalk being the major providers here), Wordpress would be your blogging
engine, and any POP3/IMAP mail provider would work.

Lee

Ignacio Mondino 06-15-2008 04:19 AM

Star Liu wrote:
> Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to ask this silly question here. I'm now using the
> microsoft live messenger, live spaces and hotmail as my IM, blog and email
> service provider, because i'm a windows user for a so long time. Two weeks
> before, I installed debian etch and lenny, and i like it very much. I'd
> like to get your opinions about which IM, blog and email services which
> suits debian best. Thanks!
> __________________________________________________ _______________ News,
> entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Get it now!
> http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx

I think you are talking about an integrated environment, in that case you
should try gtalk (jabber-xmmp) blogspot and gmail (from Google)

All in a web interface or from the program of your choice, in my case
pidgin, firefox and thunderbird.

But you always can use those programs with msn, live spaces and hotmail...
Nah, be free, the change wort it :-D

http://stupidityandmalice.blogspot.com/ Ignacio Mondino
Don't Panic

Star Liu 06-15-2008 09:54 AM

Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

I use the default installation of etch and lenny, yes, in fact they work quite fine, so maybe i should keep them. :)

Ron Johnson 06-15-2008 10:06 AM

Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

Star Liu 06-15-2008 10:46 AM

Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

I have tried emesene, it's excellent! except that it refuses root to use it. :)
I'm also happy to know the jabber and wordpress. thanks!

**************Buddha Debian GNU/Linux MSN:StarLiu@live.com******************

Ron Johnson 06-15-2008 11:05 AM

Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

Star Liu 06-15-2008 11:43 AM

Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

I'm happy to know the gnome-blog and gtalk, but it seems by default gtalk doesn't with in lenny, after i installed, i found nothing in my internet menu, and the bash doesn't know "gtalk".

pascalv 06-15-2008 01:03 PM

On Jun 15, 3:40*am, Star Liu <star...@live.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to ask this silly question here. I'm now using the microsoft live messenger, live spaces and hotmail as my IM, blog and email service provider, because i'm a windows user for a so long time. Two weeks before, I installed debian etch and lenny, and i like it very much. I'd like to get your opinions about which IM, blog and email services which suits debian best. Thanks!

Hello,

To read your Microsoft e-mails with a normal e-mail client, you can
try GetLive http://sourceforge.net/projects/getlive

For Instant Messaging, you can try amsn http://packages.debian.org/amsn
or http://www.google.com/search?q=msn+site%3Apackages.debian.org