Old 06-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:18:06PM +1000, Rich Healey wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> >> I disagree. I agree that in 99% of cases running normal UL applications
> >> as root is a bad idea, but this isn't ubuntu. If I want to play with
> >> [whatever] as root, then it should damn well let me.
> >
> > A certain version of SuSE would set the desktop background to red if you
> > logged in as root.
> >
> > And looking at your signature, I noticed IRC wasn't really mentioned in
> > this thread. Not exactly instant-messaging, but a good place to get
> > support (errr... or to be labeled as n00b).
> >
> > I normally use xchat, which is probably also the client of choice for
> > the Gnomes. From what I understand, Konversation is the client of
> > choice for the Trolls (err... KDE folks). The ChatZilla extension to
> > Iceweael (or whatever) is also quite nice. Gaim/Pidgin and Kopete have
> > their own IRC plugins. And there's the irssi terminal-based client.
> >
> irssi + screen. it's where it's at

AOL that!

Old 06-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:24:49AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Ones that support open standards are best. My suggestions:
>
> * Any IM server supporting the XMPP instant messaging standard
> (such as Google Talk, LiveJournal Talk, jabber.org, etc.).
> There's really no reason or excuse to keeping Yahoo IM, MSN
> Messenger, AIM and ICQ around now that we have a open, standard
> IM protocol, regardless of what operating system you use.

Except when none of your friends use it. As far as I can tell Google
only communicates with AIM which I don't need. And even if Google has
proven more FLOSS friendly than Yahoo, competition is good!

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 06-21-2008, 08:54 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Andrei Popescu
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:24:49AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>> Ones that support open standards are best. My suggestions:
>>
>> * Any IM server supporting the XMPP instant messaging standard
>> (such as Google Talk, LiveJournal Talk, jabber.org, etc.).
>> There's really no reason or excuse to keeping Yahoo IM, MSN
>> Messenger, AIM and ICQ around now that we have a open, standard
>> IM protocol, regardless of what operating system you use.
>
> Except when none of your friends use it. As far as I can tell Google
> only communicates with AIM which I don't need. And even if Google has
> proven more FLOSS friendly than Yahoo, competition is good!

Google Talk can to connect to transports (for yahoo, msn, ect) on
other severs.

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-05-02-n79.html

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 06-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 01:54:26PM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> Google Talk can to connect to transports (for yahoo, msn, ect) on
> other severs.
>
> http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-05-02-n79.html

It still needs a third server, but apparently you don't need to
subscribe. Can anyone recommend a good Jabber/XMPP server with transport
for Yahoo?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)