Old 06-15-2008, 07:21 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

Default Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 4:43 AM, Star Liu <starliu@live.com> wrote:

> I'm happy to know the gnome-blog and gtalk, but it seems by default gtalk
> doesn't with in lenny, after i installed, i found nothing in my internet menu,
> and the bash doesn't know "gtalk".

Are you trying to use the gtalk client? The downloadable client (as opposed to
the gmail-integrated web client) is windows only. However, you can use any
other Jabber client to connect to the gtalk server. I recommend Psi.
Instructions for using Psi with gtalk are here:

http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24074

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 06-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Star Liu wrote:

> Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to ask this silly question here. I'm now using the
> microsoft live messenger, live spaces and hotmail as my IM, blog and email
> service provider, because i'm a windows user for a so long time. Two weeks
> before, I installed debian etch and lenny, and i like it very much. I'd
> like to get your opinions about which IM, blog and email services which
> suits debian best. Thanks!

I use gaim for IM. That way I chat with all my yahoo, hotmail, gmail friends
at the same time and using just one program. The only downside of gaim is
that there is no voice chat facility available as in yahoo, gtalk etc., For
voice chat etc., I use skype which works perfectly on both Windows, Linux.

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 06-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Rich Healey

Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 04:04:10PM +1000, Rich Healey wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 06/15/08 05:46, Star Liu wrote:
> >> <snip> except that it refuses root to use it.
> >
> > As well it should. Why are you running as root?
> >
> I disagree. I agree that in 99% of cases running normal UL applications
> as root is a bad idea, but this isn't ubuntu. If I want to play with
> [whatever] as root, then it should damn well let me.

A certain version of SuSE would set the desktop background to red if you
logged in as root.

And looking at your signature, I noticed IRC wasn't really mentioned in
this thread. Not exactly instant-messaging, but a good place to get
support (errr... or to be labeled as n00b).

I normally use xchat, which is probably also the client of choice for
the Gnomes. From what I understand, Konversation is the client of
choice for the Trolls (err... KDE folks). The ChatZilla extension to
Iceweael (or whatever) is also quite nice. Gaim/Pidgin and Kopete have
their own IRC plugins. And there's the irssi terminal-based client.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 06-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Rich Healey

Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Star Liu

Thanks for recommending the gaim, i finally found the right IM software which support chinese input on etch! I'd like to make a report on my thoughts
1. my favorite IM softwares: gaim,amsn on etch, pidgin,amsn,emesene on lenny, for I use MSN most
2. for blog, i decide to make my own machine a web server, for i myself is a web developer.
3. for email, gmail
and I'm happy to learn so many softwares from you, like skype,GetLive, blogspot,wordpress, IRC, xchat, fetion plugin for pidgin(chinese service),baidu hi blog,wine + ies4linux,psi, .....
thanks, debian has so rich software, i really like it.

**************Buddha Debian GNU/Linux MSN:StarLiu@live.com******************

Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Paul Johnson

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 09:32 +0800, Star Liu wrote:
> Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to ask this silly question here. I'm now using
> the microsoft live messenger, live spaces and hotmail as my IM, blog
> and email service provider, because i'm a windows user for a so long
> time. Two weeks before, I installed debian etch and lenny, and i like
> it very much. I'd like to get your opinions about which IM, blog and
> email services which suits debian best. Thanks!

Ones that support open standards are best. My suggestions:

* Any IM server supporting the XMPP instant messaging standard
(such as Google Talk, LiveJournal Talk, jabber.org, etc.).
There's really no reason or excuse to keeping Yahoo IM, MSN
Messenger, AIM and ICQ around now that we have a open, standard
IM protocol, regardless of what operating system you use.
* Any email provider capable of handling authenticated SMTP and
IMAP4 (or at least POP3, but IMAP4 is all around a better answer
than POP3). Gmail, most regional ISPs offer this.
* Blogger and LiveJournal are good options in the blog world.

Hope this helps.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Paul Johnson

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 20:52 -0700, Lee Glidewell wrote:
> On Saturday 14 June 2008 06:32:59 pm Star Liu wrote:
> > Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to ask this silly question here. I'm now using the
> > microsoft live messenger, live spaces and hotmail as my IM, blog and email
> > service provider, because i'm a windows user for a so long time. Two weeks
> > before, I installed debian etch and lenny, and i like it very much. I'd
> > like to get your opinions about which IM, blog and email services which
> > suits debian best. Thanks!
>
> There's no reason you can't use those services with Debian. Hotmail webmail
> is, of course, OS-independent;

Unless you want to easily use third-party tools to handle Hotmail.

> Kopete and Pidgin have limited support for MSN
> Messenger (as well as all the other popular IM protocols),

Though XMPP obsoleted the need for Kopete and Pidgin to support anything
other than XMPP and maybe IRC.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Paul Johnson

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 18:46 +0800, Star Liu wrote:
> I have tried emesene, it's excellent! except that it refuses root to use it.

This is a feature, not a bug. You should never, ever log in as root.
Just use your normal user account and only use root when root
permissions are actually needed. If you're logged in as root right now,
log out, and log in as your regular user, before doing anything else,
then read this web page:

http://www.newlinuxuser.com/explain-why-not-log-on-as-root/

--
Paul Johnson