Old 06-22-2008, 03:30 AM
"Sam Kuper"

Default Lenovo Thinkpad, HP, or Vostro/Latitude? was OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

2008/6/21 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:

As long as California limo liberals make sure there are no

offshore oil rigs, and Ted Kennedy prevents windmills off the coast

of Martha's Vineyard, they don't *really* give a rat's arse about China.

Ron, I can't speak for California limo liberals, since I've never owned or been inside a limo, but I can state categorically that a large number of people of many political persuasions are concerned about the environmental impact of manufacturing, regardless of where that manufacturing occurs.

Kenward, on that note: if you want to buy a laptop with a low environmental impact, you could do worse than to look at the Greenpeace guide to greener electronics, which rates all the major firms (Lenovo included) based upon the companies' environmental policies and upon, in at least some cases, a chemical analysis of their products.

I hope you are able to find an affordable laptop that lets you run the FOSS software you want to run, has the physical properties you need for the usage you intend, and is compatible with any political and environmental concerns you may have. With such a large global laptop market, it should be possible.

Best regards,

Sam

Old 06-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Ron Johnson