Old 06-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Andrew Reid

Default Iceweasel 3 and gopher?

On Saturday 14 June 2008 12:43, Peter Tynan wrote:

> Just to summarise the problems - Iceweasel (and FireFox) is the only
> "integrated" GUI gopher browser, most other gopher browsers just show
> the gopher menu tree and in some cases plain text documents with
> Iceweasel I can view images, html documents, flash files, sound files
> etc (assuming I have the appropriate plug-in) where as other gopher
> browsers would have to open another application, also other GUI gopher
> browsers have suffered from a lack of development in recent years
> (mainly (IMHO) because Iceweasel/FireFox did the job so well) which
> means they can look quite dated and lack a certain user friendliness
> (as far as I know the console gopher client -is the only dedicated
> gopher client still under active development).

I was looking for gopher sites to try out in response to this,
and ran into this, which may be of interest:

<http://www.tekeeze.com/fun-sites/7-fun-sites-you-can-only-find-on-the-gopher-internet>

Evidently the gopher-internet is not at all dead.

A little googling reveals that there's a kio tool for konqueror
that's supposed to do "gopher", it might be worthwhile to file
a feature-request on the KDE bug tracker for this.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 06-14-2008, 11:47 PM
John Hasler

Peter writes:
> I noted from a recent discussion on this list that iceweasel 3.0-rc2 has
> been made available in Sid and I was wondering what the plans are for
> support of the gopher protocol in Iceweasel 3? I ask this because support
> for the gopher protocol has been pulled from the core of FireFox 3 and I
> was hoping that Debian are not going to make the same (IMHO) mistake.

Iceweasel 3.0~rc2-1 still seems to support Gopher.
--
John Hasler

Old 06-15-2008, 12:02 AM
"Peter Tynan"

2008/6/14 Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net>:

> Evidently the gopher-internet is not at all dead.

It's alive a kicking with active development of several gopher servers
(including pygopherd in the Debian repositories), on the client side
there is the console client under active development and as previously
mentioned by Tzafrir Cohen there is the Overbite project which has
along term aim of providing a cross platform GUI gopher browser using
Adobe's AIR platform but which after the Mozilla people brought
forward the planned pulling of gopher support for FireFox from FireFox
4 to version 3 has been on a short term work frenzy to put together a
gopher plug-in for FireFox. I've not mentioned the Overbite project
before now as I promised Cameron Kaiser that I would keep quiet until
the official launch on June 18th and I'm still reluctant to talk about
it even though some else has already posted about it here, suffice to
say that it is a big improvement over the standard gopher rendering
engine in FireFox/Iceweasel 2 - in that it looks prettier and fixes
the bug which prevents FireFox/Iceweasel showing gopher sites that are
not on port 70 and that if if gopher support is to be retained in the
core of Iceweasel 3 the overbite engine is probably the one they
should use.

NB: There is a gopher search engine over at floodgap
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/ and for the gopher challenged
http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw

Old 06-15-2008, 12:06 AM
"Peter Tynan"

2008/6/14 Koh Choon Lin <singaporeundead@gmail.com>:

> Just curious, what advantage does Gopher offers over other protocols?

I'd suggest reading
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/gopher/relevance.txt for a full answer.

I think "advantage" is probably the wrong word it's an alternative, an
example of the type of feature that makes it distinct from other
protocols would be it's inherently structured menu driven hierarchical
nature, then there is the fact that it doesn't need much system power
to run - either from the server or from the client and it is I
believe somewhat less of a bandwidth hog than http.

Peter

Old 06-15-2008, 12:13 AM
"Peter Tynan"

2008/6/15 John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org>:

> Iceweasel 3.0~rc2-1 still seems to support Gopher.

It was in the early RC's of FireFox as well, as I understand it the
final decision to pull it from FF3 was taken quite late in the day.

Peter

Old 06-15-2008, 12:28 AM
John Hasler

Koh Choon Lin writes:
> Just curious, what advantage does Gopher offers over other protocols?

The very fact that almost no one uses it can be an advantage.
--
John Hasler

Old 06-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 AM
John Hasler

Ron Johnson writes:
> That's superficial logic. Practically, the fewer who use gopher, the
> fewer who create gopher "pages", thus the narrower the range of gopher's
> usefulness.

*Sigh". _For some purposes_ the fact that almost no one uses it can be an
advantage. A particular group of people may not care that few others
create pages.
--
John Hasler

Old 06-15-2008, 03:01 AM
"Mumia W.."

On 06/14/2008 08:32 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 06/14/08 19:28, John Hasler wrote:

Koh Choon Lin writes:

Just curious, what advantage does Gopher offers over other protocols?

The very fact that almost no one uses it can be an advantage.

That's superficial logic. Practically, the fewer who use gopher,
the fewer who create gopher "pages", thus the narrower the range of
gopher's usefulness.

Ah yes, but with so few people using Gopher, very few computer criminals
will write trojans against Gopher clients.

And as Paul Cartwright said, employers who want to block the web may
ignore Gopher.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:09 AM
Ron Johnson