Old 06-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Tero Mäntyvaara

Default POP3 server

I have used POP3 server now a few months, but I have forgot whitch one
it was. :-/ How can I find out whitch server I am using? :-D

Tero Mäntyvaara

Old 06-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 02:26:37PM +0300, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> I have used POP3 server now a few months, but I have forgot whitch one
> it was. :-/ How can I find out whitch server I am using? :-D

Start with:

netstat -lntp | grep 110

to check what process listens on port 110 .

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 06-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Tobias Nissen

Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> I have used POP3 server now a few months, but I have forgot whitch
> one it was. :-/ How can I find out whitch server I am using? :-D

Is the server still configured in any application you are using?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Forsaken

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 14:26:37 +0300
Tero Mäntyvaara <termant@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used POP3 server now a few months, but I have forgot whitch
> one it was. :-/ How can I find out whitch server I am using? :-D
>

> Tero Mäntyvaara

quick and dirty way is to to telnet to port 110 of the IP and see if
you get a banner.

For example, dovecot returns something like this:
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.

If you see:
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.

it's probably courier

More likely than not, you're using either courier, dovecot, or qmail,
and you should be able to grep your processlist to find out which

Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 AM
"David"

Hi folks
*
A POP3 client not configured to keep a copy of
messages on the server, as soon as retieve a message send a DELE commando with
the number of the just retrieved message. Then, at the end of the POP3 session,
the clent sends a QUIT command, wich order POP3 server to close the conection
and delete the messages marqued with DELE command.
*
So, I'm wondering if it's possible to tell Dovecot
to actually delete the message when receiving a DELE command instead of marking
it for deletion after the QUIT.
*
Or is any other POP3 server capable of doing this
other than Dovecot.* (running on*CentOS of course)
*
Thanks
*
David

Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Drew

> So, I'm wondering if it's possible to tell Dovecot to actually delete the
> message when receiving a DELE command instead of marking it for deletion
> after the QUIT.

Nope. RFC1939 specifically states that the DELE command only *marks*
the email for deletion. Once the server enters the 'update' state it
will perform the deletion. The only command that can enter that state
is the QUIT command.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1939.txt

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 10-21-2010, 04:10 PM
"David"

I was hoping Dovecot could be not so RFC compliant in this matter. Anyway if
gets the DELE command the message arrived safely to the client.

Any other POP3 server not so RFC compliant?

Thanks for the answer.

David

Old 10-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Ben McGinnes

On 22/10/10 3:10 AM, David wrote:
> I was hoping Dovecot could be not so RFC compliant in this matter. Anyway if
> gets the DELE command the message arrived safely to the client.
>
> Any other POP3 server not so RFC compliant?
>
> Thanks for the answer.

Breaking RFCs to get the functions you want is a *bad* idea. What
happens if you get hit by a bus and someone else has to deal with the
issue, sees that the config is "broken" and "fixes" it.

You're much better off using a protocol which supports an immediate
delete from the server, like IMAP. Unless, of course, the issue is with
a lack of disk space on the server.

Regards,
Ben

Old 10-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 01:32 +1100, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> On 22/10/10 3:10 AM, David wrote:
> > I was hoping Dovecot could be not so RFC compliant in this matter. Anyway if
> > gets the DELE command the message arrived safely to the client.

The feature you want would result in inconsistencies in some cases;
nothing is going to implement that behavior.

Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>

Old 10-23-2010, 12:08 AM
"David"