Old 06-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Frank McCormick

Default Strange directory in home

Old 06-13-2008, 09:13 PM
"Marcos José Sant'Anna Magalhães"

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Marcos José Sant'Anna Magalhães <mjsmagalhaes@gmail.com> wrote:

I am using Lenny and the same happens here.

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

Marcos José Sant'Anna Magalhães.
Engenharia Eletrônica e de Computação.
DEL/POLI/UFRJ.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 PM
"H.S."

<mjsmagalhaes@gmail.com <mailto:mjsmagalhaes@gmail.com>> wrote:

I am using Lenny and the same happens here.

Hi,

I am running Testing and I haven't seen this thing happen yet.

->HS

Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:48:59 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> Lately,I've been noticing a strange directory popping up in my home
> directory. It's called "file:" and has subdirectories of home ,
> home/frank , and Desktop with Desktop empty.
> I have deleted it several times but it keeps re-appearing.
>
> Can anyone explain this ?

The name "file:" reminds me of how file managers sometimes refer to
local files in their address/location bar. Some application might
misunderstand expressions such as "file:///home/frank/Desktop" and
therefore create spurious directories and files in your home directory.

You could try to catch processes that access these directories/files
with lsof or fuser, maybe in combination with inotify-wait (package
inotify-tools).

Florian |

Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 06-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sat June 14 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Can anyone explain this ?
>
> The name "file:" reminds me of how file managers sometimes refer to
> local files in their address/location bar. Some application might
> misunderstand expressions such as "file:///home/frank/Desktop" and
> therefore create spurious directories and files in your home directory.
>
> You could try to catch processes that access these directories/files
> with lsof or fuser, maybe in combination with inotify-wait (package
> inotify-tools).

and if there was nothing after the file, the filename might be hidden
characters or A SPACE.. you might try :
$ cd
$ls -la ?

like I did here. What I did was create a file called 1 . The wild card "?"
would find it,and any filename that was 1 character, including a space

# ls -la ?
ls: cannot access ?: No such file or directory
paulandcilla:/etc/udev/rules.d# >1
paulandcilla:/etc/udev/rules.d# ls -la ?
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-06-14 15:56 1
paulandcilla:/etc/udev/rules.d#

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459

Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Kevin Mark

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 08:49:22PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:48:59 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> > Lately,I've been noticing a strange directory popping up in my home
> > directory. It's called "file:" and has subdirectories of home ,
> > home/frank , and Desktop with Desktop empty.
> > I have deleted it several times but it keeps re-appearing.
> >
> > Can anyone explain this ?
>
> The name "file:" reminds me of how file managers sometimes refer to
> local files in their address/location bar. Some application might
> misunderstand expressions such as "file:///home/frank/Desktop" and
> therefore create spurious directories and files in your home directory.
>
> You could try to catch processes that access these directories/files
> with lsof or fuser, maybe in combination with inotify-wait (package
> inotify-tools).
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |

I was thinking a cron script that does 'ls $FILENAME' every 15 minutes
and appends the result in a log file. then maybe add a log of 'ps -A f'
when you figure what hour it appears to see what is running.
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|