Old 06-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Tobias Nissen

Default Debian on laptop

alfa beta wrote:
> After spending hours of reading about the Linux
> distributions and compatible hardware, I feel I get crazzy. I chose
> you because of your "Social Contract", though I'm not sure Debian is
> still updated, apologize, I couldn't find recent articles, I am a
> newbye.

No, don't worry. Debian is more alive than ever! :-)

> Question:
> Could you recommend me a laptop model, with all details, which works
> completely, or perfectly with Debian? Including audio-video hardware,
> and hardware for connection to Internet (I'm on cable modem, UPC is my
> provider).

I don't know about your cable modem-thingy, we Germans are more the
ADSL kind of guys, but the Linux/Debian-support for the IBM/Lenovo
Thinkpad series is outstanding. A minor drawback is the support for the
ATI graphics adapters, but newer models seem to use Intel and NVidia
anyway.

> I don't need an expensive one. Perhaps an anti-glare, anti-reflex
> screen is needed because I'll have to read a lot.

You won't get those terrible displays with Lenovo, but on the other
hand you'll have to pay for it. If you get lucky, you can find a cheap
notebook with great Linux support -- but with a Thinkpad you don't need
to search.

If I had to buy a new notebook right now, I'd check that there's much
Intel in it, because they actually pay people to develop (real) open
source drivers. First of all that's an ideological argument, but
despite that I find it that their drivers usually just work.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:58 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 05:54:54AM -0700, alfa beta wrote:
> After spending hours of reading about the Linux
> distributions and compatible hardware, I feel I get crazzy. I chose you
> because of your "Social Contract", though I'm not sure Debian is still
> updated, apologize, I couldn't find recent articles, I am a newbye.
>
> Question:
> Could you recommend me a laptop model, with all details, which works
> completely, or perfectly with Debian? Including audio-video hardware,
> and hardware for connection to Internet (I'm on cable modem, UPC is my
> provider).
>
> I don't need an expensive one. Perhaps an anti-glare, anti-reflex screen is needed because I'll have to read a lot.

Your cable modem should be giving you a ethernel port that provides dhcp
for ip-address and dns nameservers.

If you don't need the latest-greatest, go with an off-lease Thinkpad.

Doug.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Reeyarn

Hi E.S.

I'm using Dell Insiron 500m laptop, it works well with Debian. And I think any popular laptop could work well too.
Here is a short list of my hardwares:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device

Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM AC'97 Audio Controller
Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

For your mentioning cable modem, if you use PPPOE in MS win32, you could refer to

http://wiki.debian.org/PPPoE for using it in debian.

Regards,

Reeyarn

After spending hours of reading about the Linux
distributions and compatible hardware, I feel I get crazzy. I chose you
because of your "Social Contract", though I'm not sure Debian is still
updated, apologize, I couldn't find recent articles, I am a newbye.

Question:
Could you recommend me a laptop model, with all details, which works
completely, or perfectly with Debian? Including audio-video hardware,
and hardware for connection to Internet (I'm on cable modem, UPC is my
provider).

I don't need an expensive one. Perhaps an anti-glare, anti-reflex screen is needed because I'll have to read a lot.

Thanks,
E.S.

--
Reeyarn

Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Marloque

I would look into the Ubuntu laptops from Dell. If they run Ubuntu,
there's a chance they'll run Debian, since Ubuntu is based off of Debian.

Must my two pennies.

--Marloque

Dear Sirs,

Old 06-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sat June 14 2008, Marloque wrote:
> I would look into the Ubuntu laptops from Dell. If they run Ubuntu,
> there's a chance they'll run Debian, since Ubuntu is based off of Debian.
>
> Must my two pennies.

I have Debian running on my newer Dell XPS desktop, complete with NVIDIA
drivers. I have Kubuntu running on my older XPS laptop, never tried Debian on
it.

--
Paul Cartwright

Old 06-14-2008, 02:47 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 05:54 -0700, alfa beta wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>

> After spending hours of reading about the Linux distributions and
> compatible hardware, I feel I get crazzy. I chose you because of your
> "Social Contract", though I'm not sure Debian is still updated,
> apologize, I couldn't find recent articles, I am a newbye.
>
> Question: Could you recommend me a laptop model, with all details,
> which works completely, or perfectly with Debian? Including
> audio-video hardware, and hardware for connection to Internet (I'm on
> cable modem, UPC is my provider).
>
> I don't need an expensive one. Perhaps an anti-glare, anti-reflex
> screen is needed because I'll have to read a lot.
>
> Thanks,
> E.S.

Well, again I will say that a Dell Vostro runs Debian well. Don't know
about a webcam (some models come with one). About the only issue is the
sound is not very loud in Linux (but it is in Windows) but it does work.
One can be had for about $500 USD up to $1800?.

Battery life on my Dell Vostro 1500 (9 cell) is from 5 to 7 hours.

As for your cable modem, ANY recognized ethernet card will work, your
cable modem does not care about the OS. If the OS can work the ethernet
card, your cable modem will work. I do not remember the last time I
found an ethernet card that did not work. It has been years. I suppose
you can still find one, but the odds are if you grab a box off the
shelve, install Linux on it, at least the ethernet will work.

HTH
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 06-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Bernd Kloss

Am Samstag, 14. Juni 2008 15:41 schrieb Paul Cartwright:
> On Sat June 14 2008, Marloque wrote:
> > I would look into the Ubuntu laptops from Dell. If they run Ubuntu,
> > there's a chance they'll run Debian, since Ubuntu is based off of Debian.
> >
> > Must my two pennies.
>
> I have Debian running on my newer Dell XPS desktop, complete with NVIDIA
> drivers. I have Kubuntu running on my older XPS laptop, never tried Debian
> on it.
>
> --
> Paul Cartwright

I have Debian/Etch on a Dell Latitude D 520.
No Problems.
The only thing that is a bit tricky is getting a picture of a video on the
Beamer (clone-mode). For instance *.flv: You get the full picture on the lfp
and the program-frame of the player over beamer, but not the movie. This area
stays black.
Same with DVDs: Here you have to choose within Kaffeine/xine/video/xshm.
Don't ask me why

Bernd Kloss

Old 06-14-2008, 05:03 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 14/06/2008, Marloque <marloque@comcast.net> wrote:
> I would look into the Ubuntu laptops from Dell. If they run Ubuntu, there's
> a chance they'll run Debian, since Ubuntu is based off of Debian.

I wrote a review of a Dell Ubuntu Laptop here:

http://everything2.com/title/Dell+Ubuntu+Laptop

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:31 PM