Old 12-02-2007, 04:36 PM
"Tshepang Lekhonkhobe"

Default results: debian-user's favourite FLOSS

Hi debian-user,

Here is a summary of the mini-poll that I conducted recently on Debian-user:

Firefox/Iceweasel and GIMP reign supreme for the third year running
but are now joined by aptitude, each having 21 votes. I was surprised
by Quod Libet receiving one vote but more surprising was F-Spot which
also got just one and Tomboy receiving only 2 votes. The most
surprising category is "misc utilities" because none of the 2005 and
2006 winners, sudo and grep received enough votes (three) to appear
here. Nobody but me mentioned Tracker, while Beagle also got just a
single vote. There was no mention of Banshee and only two votes for
Tomboy. The most favourite non-free piece remains Adobe Acrobat, and
one wonders when Evince and other free equivalents will catch up.

I only show results which received at least 3 votes:

audio editor:
* Audacity (11) -> 2005 and 2006 winner

audio player:
* Amarok (7) -> 2005 winner
* XMMS (5) -> 2006 winner
* Audacious (3)
* VLC (3)

cd-ripper:
* Sound Juicer (4) -> 2005 winner
* Grip (3) -> 2006 tie winner
* cdparanoia (3)

DBMS:
* MySQL (8) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* PostgreSQL (3)

desktop environment OR window manager:
* KDE (8), GNOME (8) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* XFCE (7)
* Fluxbox (5)

development:
* GCC (6)
* Emacs (4)
* Vim (3)
* Bash (3)
* Make (3)

disc burner:
* K3b (13) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* cdrecord (4)

e-mail client:
* Mutt (8) -> 2006 winner
* Thunderbird (Icedove) (8) -> 2005 winner
* Evolution (3)

file manager:
* Konqueror (8)
* MC (7) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* Nautilus (5)
* CLI (6)

finance:
* GnuCash (5)

ftp client:
* gFTP (8) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* ftp (4)
* wget (3)
* MC (3)

image editor:
* GIMP (21) -> 2005 and 2006 winner

image viewer:
* gThumb (6) --> 2005 winner
* Kuickshow (4)
* GQView (3) -> 2006 winner

instant messenger:
* Gaim/Pidgin (12) -> 2005 and 2006 winner

mathematics:
* Octave (4) -> 2005 and 2006 tie winner
* bc (4) -> 2006 tie winner
* dc (3)

misc utilities:
* screen (5)
* ssh, svn (3)

* Pan, Slrn (4)

p2p:
* Azerus (4)

package manager:
* aptitude (21) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* apt-get (9)

pdf-reader:
* Xpdf (9) -> 2006 winner
* KPDF (6)
* Evince (6)

spreadsheet:
* OOo Calc (12) -> 2006 winner
* Gnumeric (6)

tag editor:
* Amarok (2)

terminal emulator:
* Konsole (6)
* GNOME Terminal (5) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* xfce4-terminal (4)
* xterm (3)
* rxvt (3)

text editor:
* Vim (14) -> 2006 winner
* Emacs (7)
* nano (3)

video player:
* MPlayer (15) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* VLC (6)
* gxine (5)
* Kaffeine (3)

web browser:
* Firefox (Iceweasel) (21) -> 2005 and 2006 winner
* Konqueror (5)
* lynx (4)
* links (3)
* w3m (3)

word-processor:
* OOo Write (11) -> 2006 winner
* AbiWord (4)
* Emacs + Latex (3)
* KWord (3)

anything deserving great honours:
* GCC (10)
* Debian (4)
* Linux (3)
* Vim (3)
* OpenSSH (3)

non-free:
* Acrobat Reader (9) -> 2006 winner
* GMail (5)

Thanks for participating...

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com

Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:36:08 +0200
"Tshepang Lekhonkhobe" <tshepang@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Tomboy. The most favourite non-free piece remains Adobe Acrobat, and
> one wonders when Evince and other free equivalents will catch up.

http://www.linux.com/feature/122195
http://gnupdf.org/

We can hope!

Celejar

Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 07:36:08PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi debian-user,
>
> Here is a summary of the mini-poll that I conducted recently on Debian-user:

Very interesting results, and thanks for doing this.

> Firefox/Iceweasel and GIMP reign supreme for the third year running
> but are now joined by aptitude, each having 21 votes.

thy are category killing apps. Intersting is the number of cli web
browsers populating the 3-5 positions. I would have thought we'd see
opera or something in there.

> I was surprised
> by Quod Libet receiving one vote but more surprising was F-Spot which
> also got just one and Tomboy receiving only 2 votes.

I'm not surprised. My kids use Tomboy sporadically, and all I can say
is, just like its icon, you can't really beat a post-it note.

> The most
> surprising category is "misc utilities" because none of the 2005 and
> 2006 winners, sudo and grep received enough votes (three) to appear
> here.

Interesting. I view it more like this: sudo and grep (find, sort, etc
etc etc) are ubiquitous. I'm surprised they made the list at all. I
consider it equivalent to asking woodworkers what their favorite tool
is and being surprised that you don't get "sandpaper" in the
list. They all use sandpaper, they couldn't imagine a shop without it,
but its just assumed. The discussion will center around things like
routers versus shapers versus custom profiled handplanes. Chisels and
saws versus dove-tail jigs and routers. Biscuit joiners vs
pocket-screw jigs versus mortise-and-tenon tools. etc. Of course
they're all going to use sandpaper at the end, its not a choice. Just
a thought on the psychology of these sorts of polls.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 09:59:52AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > Firefox/Iceweasel and GIMP reign supreme for the third year running
> > but are now joined by aptitude, each having 21 votes.
>
> thy are category killing apps. Intersting is the number of cli web
> browsers populating the 3-5 positions. I would have thought we'd see
> opera or something in there.

I gave one vote for non-free ...

> > The most
> > surprising category is "misc utilities" because none of the 2005 and
> > 2006 winners, sudo and grep received enough votes (three) to appear
> > here.
>
> Interesting. I view it more like this: sudo and grep (find, sort, etc
> etc etc) are ubiquitous. I'm surprised they made the list at all. I

You're right. I have a 'x-term-emu su -' called from a key combo in
xfce, I almost never type it in directly ...

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 PM
"Tshepang Lekhonkhobe"

On Dec 3, 2007 12:57 AM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:36:08 +0200
> "Tshepang Lekhonkhobe" <tshepang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Tomboy. The most favourite non-free piece remains Adobe Acrobat, and
> > one wonders when Evince and other free equivalents will catch up.
>
> http://www.linux.com/feature/122195
> http://gnupdf.org/

Thanks for the links...

--