Old 06-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Adam Hardy

Default popcon mail confusion

Hi

I'm trying to work out what popcon is doing when it tries to email.

Normally it submits the results via http, but I guess sometimes the internet is
down or something.

popcon has installed itself as a crontab.weekly job which is executed by user
root, I presume, but I get a 'mail delivery failed' turn up in my user account,
not in root. I checked the config for popcon and I can see how it is picking up
my user account. How can it be doing that?

Secondly I tried setting up an MTA to accept the email from popcon, when it
tries via email, and I picked msmtp-mta and configured it with my email provider
settings, but I can't see how anything can pick up msmtp without some more
config, but I can't see anything relevant in the man pages. Am I on the right
track, and what is the next step?

Thanks
Adam

Old 06-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Joey Hess

Adam Hardy wrote:
> popcon has installed itself as a crontab.weekly job which is executed by
> user root, I presume, but I get a 'mail delivery failed' turn up in my
> user account, not in root. I checked the config for popcon and I can see
> how it is picking up my user account. How can it be doing that?

You probably have a /etc/aliases containing
root: youraccount

popularity-contest does fall back to trying to send email if submission
by http fails.

> Secondly I tried setting up an MTA to accept the email from popcon, when
> it tries via email, and I picked msmtp-mta and configured it with my
> email provider settings, but I can't see how anything can pick up msmtp
> without some more config, but I can't see anything relevant in the man
> pages. Am I on the right track, and what is the next step?

popcon sends mails in the standard way, by running the sendmail command,
which should be provided by your MTA.

--
see shy jo