Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Brad Rogers

Default OT: Winmodems are soundcards Was: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:57:58 +0200
Misko <asdrtg-mlist@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Hello Misko,

> is if I can make my regular soundcard force to behave like modem?

Possibly, but why would you want to? When you're on-line using a
WinModem the CPU has to do all the work of (en|de)coding data that
would normally be done by the modem itself. This slows the computer
down. Maybe not much, but if you're doing something critical, time, and
timing, may be of the essence.

Using a proper modem is far and away the best approach. They're hardly
expensive these days. Not like when I started out; A 300/300 &
1200/75 baud modem cost 125. That was in the 1980s.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

You destroyed my confidence, you broke my nerve
Nervous Wreck - Radio Stars

Old 06-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Brad Rogers wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:57:58 +0200
is if I can make my regular soundcard force to behave like modem?

Possibly, but why would you want to? When you're on-line using a
WinModem the CPU has to do all the work of (en|de)coding data that
would normally be done by the modem itself. This slows the computer
down. Maybe not much, but if you're doing something critical, time, and
timing, may be of the essence.

Using a proper modem is far and away the best approach. They're hardly
expensive these days. Not like when I started out; A 300/300 &
1200/75 baud modem cost 125. That was in the 1980s.

But they're not cheap: we're talking about an analog modem that does V92
protocol. NewEgg has 2: one for $76.99 and one for $244.99 both U.S.
Robotics.

Hugo

Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Paul Johnson wrote:

is if I can make my regular soundcard force to behave like modem?

Possibly, but why would you want to? When you're on-line using a
WinModem the CPU has to do all the work of (en|de)coding data that
would normally be done by the modem itself. This slows the computer
down. Maybe not much, but if you're doing something critical, time, and
timing, may be of the essence.

Using a proper modem is far and away the best approach. They're hardly
expensive these days. Not like when I started out; A 300/300 &
1200/75 baud modem cost 125. That was in the 1980s.

But they're not cheap: we're talking about an analog modem that does V92
protocol. NewEgg has 2: one for $76.99 and one for $244.99 both U.S.
Robotics.

How necessary is a modem really? Especially on a laptop? Seems like
wifi support would be faster, easier and all around more accessible in
this day and age.

This day and age in the first world. Where I am there still telephone
wires hanging all over the place.

Hugo

Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:21:12 -0500
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

Hello Hugo,

> But they're not cheap: we're talking about an analog modem that does
> V92 protocol. NewEgg has 2: one for $76.99 and one for $244.99 both
> U.S. Robotics.

Ouch! That's more than I expected. Here (UK), it's still possible to
get stuff below 30 (approx $45). Admittedly, not a well-known make,
but since it's RS-232, fairly easy to get set up. That's for new kit,
if you go s/h, people seem to be throwing them away. So, free.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

You never listen to a word that I said
Public Image - Public Image Ltd

Old 06-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:49:00 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

Hello Andrew,

> this is surely do-able. The very first modems were essentially a
> speaker and a microphone that were connected to the telephone reciever
> by a couple of rubber cup-like things.

Acoustic Couplers, they were called. A real PITA to use, too; One
hard knock, and the line dropped, because the noise produced upset
everything.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Success defined by acquisition stinks
Money is Not Our God - Killing Joke

Old 06-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-06-12 17:47:50, schrieb Brad Rogers:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:21:12 -0500
> Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> > But they're not cheap: we're talking about an analog modem that does
> > V92 protocol. NewEgg has 2: one for $76.99 and one for $244.99 both
> > U.S. Robotics.
>
> Ouch! That's more than I expected. Here (UK), it's still possible to

Thats normal, because US-Robotics are realy High-Performance modems and
you can not get better stuff. I am using USR since over 20 years and
the are perfect. :-)

> get stuff below £30 (approx $45). Admittedly, not a well-known make,
> but since it's RS-232, fairly easy to get set up. That's for new kit,
> if you go s/h, people seem to be throwing them away. So, free.

You can get analog Modems for less the 10 Euro from eBay

Note: I am running four USR Sportster 14400Vi modems gotten from eBay
for 1-2 € (+shiping) as a Fax-Pool for my courier server.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 06-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-06-12 07:49:00, schrieb Andrew Sackville-West:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:57:58PM +0200, Misko wrote:
> > I was trying to find
> > some info but failed (perhaps I was looking at wrong places).
> > Is there a kernel module available that can turn soundcard into
> > modem?
>
> it wouldn't be a kernel module, but rather a simple program that would
> generate the right sounds over the sound card. In fact, in my old c-64
> days that was exactly how we generated touchtone dialing. You simply
> instructed the sound system to generate the DTMF frequencies and they
> were sent over the phone lines.

apt-get install dtmfdial

Old 06-13-2008, 01:48 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:21:12AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> But they're not cheap: we're talking about an analog modem that does V92
> protocol. NewEgg has 2: one for $76.99 and one for $244.99 both U.S.
> Robotics.

Ebay should have a USR/3Com Courier V-Everything for around $50.

Doug.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Brad Rogers wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:49:00 -0700
this is surely do-able. The very first modems were essentially a
speaker and a microphone that were connected to the telephone reciever
by a couple of rubber cup-like things.

Acoustic Couplers, they were called. A real PITA to use, too; One
hard knock, and the line dropped, because the noise produced upset
everything.

But it worked. Connected from IBM Chicago to IBM Kingston in 1972 using
TSO and an electric typewriter. It all took a while though.

Hugo