Old 06-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Brad Rogers

Default OT: Winmodems are soundcards Was: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:22:25 +0200
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

Hello Michelle,

> Thats normal, because US-Robotics are realy High-Performance modems
> and you can not get better stuff. I am using USR since over 20
> years and the are perfect. :-)

Yes, I used USRs myself. Their reputation suffered a few years back,
but I never had any trouble with their kit.

> > new kit, if you go s/h, people seem to be throwing them away. So,
> > free.
> You can get analog Modems for less the 10 Euro from eBay

I prefer free. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain
Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns 'N' Roses

Old 06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Brad Rogers

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:45:50 -0500
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

Hello Hugo,

> Brad Rogers wrote:
> > Acoustic Couplers, they were called. A real PITA to use, too; One
> > hard knock, and the line dropped, because the noise produced upset
> But it worked. Connected from IBM Chicago to IBM Kingston in 1972
> using TSO and an electric typewriter. It all took a while though.

Slow doesn't even *begin* to cover it. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

An old custom to sell your daughter
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie & The Banshees

Old 06-13-2008, 11:44 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 05:30:02PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:45:50 -0500
> Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Hugo,
>
> > Brad Rogers wrote:
> > > Acoustic Couplers, they were called. A real PITA to use, too; One
> > > hard knock, and the line dropped, because the noise produced upset
> > But it worked. Connected from IBM Chicago to IBM Kingston in 1972
> > using TSO and an electric typewriter. It all took a while though.
>
> Slow doesn't even *begin* to cover it. :-)

Wasn't vi written with a 300 baud connection in mind? I seem to recall
that from an interview with the author. My IT life started with 1200
baud. Downloading OS/2 updates on that was slow, but hey I need to
sleep at night anyway.

Doug.