Old 06-12-2008, 03:21 AM
Nate Bargmann

Default Linux doesn't like DVD+R disks?

I don't have a good answer except to say that on my sole DVD writer
DVD-R disks don't work and DVD+R do. I think the DVD+R disks that I
have are single layer only, perhaps?

- Nate >>

Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
"thveillon.debian"

Ron Johnson a écrit :

I can't give you a remedy, but I can confirm that having bought a bunch
of verbatim DVD+R DL none of them burned correctly. With some I get
errors and with others it's going well (growisofs) but the dvd can't be
read. My dvd burner is certified DVD+R and very new, I have no problem
with other disks including DVD-R.

The burning speed wasn't set correctly either with the DVD+R, I had to
set it manually, but it didn't make a difference in the end...

Tom

Old 06-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:11:15 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> I'm trying to burn an ISO to a dual-layer DVD+R disk, but these
> programs instantly error out. growisofs successfully burns the
> disk, but mplayer and vlc can't read them.
>
> Single-layer DVD-R disks work perfectly.
>
> Am I missing something simple?

I know it is of no direct help to you, but I have successfully burned
several DVD+R DL disks using K3b. It 'just worked' without any fiddling
or anything. I also successfully use DVD-R single layer and DVD+RW single layer
disks.

The drive is a Pioneer DVR-115D and the disks I have been using are
branded 'Zerodefex'. The disks are read fine by Kaffeine and Movie
Player as well as a domestic standalone DVD player.

To answer your question, it seems Linux really does like DVD+R disks
after all.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:02:38AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/12/08 07:20, Bob Cox wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:11:15 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to burn an ISO to a dual-layer DVD+R disk, but these
> >> programs instantly error out. growisofs successfully burns the
> >> disk, but mplayer and vlc can't read them.
> >>
> >> Single-layer DVD-R disks work perfectly.
> >>
> >> Am I missing something simple?
> >
> > I know it is of no direct help to you, but I have successfully burned
> > several DVD+R DL disks using K3b. It 'just worked' without any fiddling
> > or anything. I also successfully use DVD-R single layer and DVD+RW single layer
> > disks.
>
> k3b uses wodim, just like Brasero.
>
> When I insert a DVD-R SL, GNOME (really, whatever GNOME talks to)
> recognizes that a valid disk has been inserted, and takes the
> appropriate action. With DVD+R DL, nothing.
>
> > The drive is a Pioneer DVR-115D and the disks I have been using are
> > branded 'Zerodefex'. The disks are read fine by Kaffeine and Movie
> > Player as well as a domestic standalone DVD player.
>
> Mine is an ASUS DRW-1814BLT, and the disks (both DVD-R SL and DVD+R
> DL) are Memorex.

sorry, I've not read the thread, but this drive only supports up to 4x
burning for DL, in case that helps.

> > To answer your question, it seems Linux really does like DVD+R disks
> > after all.
>
> I'm using a hand-rolled kernel. Maybe I need some option? Maybe
> the burner's firmware need upgrading?

It's definitely worth booting into a stock kernel just in case.

My memory of trying to burn DL disks is that it was spotty on this
Sony drive. And everything I've read suggests that it can often be a
combination of media and drive... try different brands of media.

I know, that's not really helpful.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Bob Cox

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:17:06 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West (andrew@farwestbilliards.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:02:38AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > I know it is of no direct help to you, but I have successfully burned
> > > several DVD+R DL disks using K3b. It 'just worked' without any fiddling
> > > or anything. I also successfully use DVD-R single layer and DVD+RW single layer
> > > disks.
> >
> > k3b uses wodim, just like Brasero.

I must admit I have few problems with K3b, other than sometimes it tries
to write to old, cheap 4x or 8x DVDs at 16x resulting in some failures,
so I always manually set the speed.

> > When I insert a DVD-R SL, GNOME (really, whatever GNOME talks to)
> > recognizes that a valid disk has been inserted, and takes the
> > appropriate action. With DVD+R DL, nothing.
> >
> > > The drive is a Pioneer DVR-115D and the disks I have been using are
> > > branded 'Zerodefex'. The disks are read fine by Kaffeine and Movie
> > > Player as well as a domestic standalone DVD player.
> >
> > Mine is an ASUS DRW-1814BLT, and the disks (both DVD-R SL and DVD+R
> > DL) are Memorex.
>
> sorry, I've not read the thread, but this drive only supports up to 4x
> burning for DL, in case that helps.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1488&l1=6&l2=35&l3 =0&l4=0
says that it will do 8x with DL on both +R and -R disks.

In fact, it looks like quite an impressive drive.

> > > To answer your question, it seems Linux really does like DVD+R disks
> > > after all.
> >
> > I'm using a hand-rolled kernel. Maybe I need some option? Maybe
> > the burner's firmware need upgrading?
>
> It's definitely worth booting into a stock kernel just in case.
>
> My memory of trying to burn DL disks is that it was spotty on this
> Sony drive. And everything I've read suggests that it can often be a
> combination of media and drive... try different brands of media.
>
> I know, that's not really helpful.

Trying different media is probably a good idea, but expensive if you
need to experiment. Maybe just buy one or two of each before getting a
spindle of 25 or 50 ;-)

Old 06-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Kevin Monceaux