Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Joe

Default debian sid & gnome

Daniel Burrows wrote:

So, these are the dependencies it's trying to resolve. The big
problems for you are probably the broken gnome-system-tools (which is
required by gnome-desktop-environment) and the broken kdenetwork (which
is part of kde). In the case of kdenetwork, you can't upgrade it until
kde is rebuilt for your architecture -- according to
packages.debian.org, packages like dcoprss are only at 4:3.5.9-2 on
amd64, hppa, and ia64 so far.

gnome is broken because gnome-desktop-environment depends on
gnome-system-tools, which depends on both system-tools-backends and
liboobs-1-3; however, the new version of system-tools-backends conflicts
with liboobs-1-3. So the version of gnome in sid just can't be
installed at all, ever.

In other words, neither of these packages can be upgraded right now.

I'm currently updating sid with Synaptic for the first time in about
three days, so it's about a quarter of a gig. xorg has been troublesome
for some days, but is OK this time, kdenetwork cannot be sorted, even by
uninstalling things, so that's a matter of waiting. This is a recent
one, it wasn't there three days ago.

system-tools-backends has been troublesome for, I think, a couple of
weeks. Also, k3b-data wants to remove k3b, also a recent change.

Occasionally, installing what would go and then retrying the difficult
packages has worked, as the system was unable to try every possible
order of installation and at least one order did work. It's also worth
trying an apt-get dist-upgrade now and then, but definitely not at the
moment, as it agrees with Synaptic.

But the fact is that some of the time, the sid repositories are in an
inconsistent state, and a bit of patience is required. Looking at the
current rate of updates, about 70MB a day for my 2200 packages, this is
not entirely surprising.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:37 AM
Dietrich Bollmann

Hello,

Thanks for all the answers

I am trying to answer to all of them at once...

Here my initial posting:

> Since weeks I can't update debian sid as apt-get always wants to
> remove gnome:
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> [...]
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> epiphany-extensions fast-user-switch-applet gnome
> gnome-desktop-environment gnome-system-tools k3b libavcodeccvs51
> libavdevicecvs52 libavformatcvs52 libavutilcvs49 liboobs-1-3
> libpostproccvs51 libswscalecvs0 libuim5 scim-uim
> [...]
>
> As I couldn't find any mails from other users about this problem, I
> finally wonder if there is something wrong with my system.
>
> Should I continue to wait for some more weeks until finally gnome can
> be updated again or is there some better way to proceed?

The temporary solution seems to be, as Daniel, Magnus and HS proposed,
to use aptitude rather than apt-get or synaptic.

The following sequence updated most of my system:

aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade
aptitude -s full-upgrade
aptitude full-upgrade

Concerning the latter command, I followed the advice of HS:

Aptitude usually tells you what is broken and what is the suggested
resolution. If you do not accept the suggestion, it gives you
another different one and so on until you accept one or just quit
the upgrade.

and only accepted a partial solution.

Aptitude still doesn't know about any final solution and still wants to:

Remove the following packages:
fast-user-switch-applet
gnome
gnome-desktop-environment
gnome-system-tools

which I am rejecting.

This update / upgrade procedure removed the kde meta package which, as
Tom pointed out, didn't "hurt too much as it won't remove anything
except the meta package itself". Also I am currently mostly using
gnome anyway.

Even if my system is in a somehow inconsistent state now, I can live
with this situation until the problem is solved and a new version of
gnome and kde can be installed. The most important thing is that I
still can update the rest of my system. In Joe's words:

some of the time, the sid repositories are in an inconsistent state,
and a bit of patience is required. Looking at the current rate of
updates, about 70MB a day for my 2200 packages, this is not entirely
surprising.

and also:

so that's a matter of waiting

Concerning aptitude vs. apt-get / synaptic, Daniel said:

The algorithms used to solve dependencies are different, so
sometimes they'll produce different results. aptitude has more
facilities for showing why it's doing what it's doing, which is why
I suggested it.

As the problem seems to concern all people using gnome on debian sid
(Daniel: [...] broken gnome-system-tools [...] broken kdenetwork
[...]), but still I couldn't find other postings about the problem, I
suppose that most of the people using debian sid rather use aptitude
than apt-get or synaptic to update their system and do not mind
packages listed as broken too much

To cite Daniel again:

So, these are the dependencies it's trying to resolve. The big
problems for you are probably the broken gnome-system-tools (which
is required by gnome-desktop-environment) and the broken kdenetwork
(which is part of kde). In the case of kdenetwork, you can't
upgrade it until kde is rebuilt for your architecture -- according
to packages.debian.org, packages like dcoprss are only at 4:3.5.9-2
on amd64, hppa, and ia64 so far.

gnome is broken because gnome-desktop-environment depends on
gnome-system-tools, which depends on both system-tools-backends and
liboobs-1-3; however, the new version of system-tools-backends
conflicts with liboobs-1-3. So the version of gnome in sid just
can't be installed at all, ever.

In other words, neither of these packages can be upgraded right now.

I am happy to wait

Thank you all for your help,

Dietrich

PS:

Thanks to Ron for teaching me about: apt-show-versions -u | sort

Old 06-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Reeyarn

Hi,

I've come accoss a similar problem, that my apt-get or aptitude wanted to remove my gnome, gtk, etc. Almost ervery core module of gnome i think.(see attached for the result of apt-get autoremove -s)
I also guess sid's dependency may be broken recently.

Regards.

Reeyarn

> [...]

*(which is part of kde). *In the case of kdenetwork, you can't

*upgrade it until kde is rebuilt for your architecture -- according

*to packages.debian.org, packages like dcoprss are only at 4:3.5.9-2

*on amd64, hppa, and ia64 so far.

*gnome is broken because gnome-desktop-environment depends on

*gnome-system-tools, which depends on both system-tools-backends and

*liboobs-1-3; however, the new version of system-tools-backends

*conflicts with liboobs-1-3. *So the version of gnome in sid just

*can't be installed at all, ever.

*In other words, neither of these packages can be upgraded right now.

I am happy to wait

Thank you all for your help,

Dietrich

PS:

Thanks to Ron for teaching me about: * apt-show-versions -u | sort

debian:/home/reeyarn# apt-get autoremove -s
*?读??软件????表... ???
*?????软件???????系*?
*?读?????信?... ???
The following packages are not used?
libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil sg3-utils ekiga libgsf-gnome-1-114 python-opengl libmono2.0-cil python-gst0.10 libmtp7
libmono-security1.0-cil gcalctool gthumb sharutils cupsys-common libpth20 gnuchess-book gnome-nettool
gnome-games-extra-data libgtk-vnc-1.0-0 libgksu1.2-0 python-notify dia-libs libglade2.0-cil libglib2.0-cil
libmono-sharpzip0.84-cil ncompress libgnome-mag2 python-gnome2-extras gucharmap libgksuui1.0-1 gnome-games libmagick++10
libgconf2.0-cil dnsutils libmono-system-web1.0-cil gnome-cards-data gthumb-data lzop cli-common ggzcore-bin gnome-mag
rhythmbox w3c-dtd-xhtml libmono-corlib1.0-cil gimp-gnomevfs gtk2-engines-pixbuf system-config-printer libplot2c2
python-gtkglext1 libdns32 libart2.0-cil libpt-1.10.10-plugins-alsa gnome-themes seahorse libggzmod4 whois libsgutils1
vinagre gnumeric-common libpt-1.10.10 xulrunner-gnome-support libgpod3 libisccc30 festlex-cmu dasher guile-1.8-libs
libelfg0 libgnome2.0-cil python-gtkmozembed python-gtkhtml2 p7zip gnome-themes-extras libgoffice-0-6-common libbrlapi0.5
finger libmono-addins0.2-cil pstoedit gnome-orca liblwres30 gnome-volume-manager dia-gnome gtk2-engines
libmono-system1.0-cil eog python-4suite-doc dasher-data gnome-backgrounds python-eggtrayicon python-brlapi gok
libgtk2.0-cil mono-gac libggz2 python-ctypes festlex-poslex libmono1.0-cil vino libbind9-30 libmono-data-tds1.0-cil
libmono-i18n1.0-cil libwmf-bin gnome-games-data festvox-kallpc16k libmono-system-data1.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil
libgtkhtml2-0 libgoffice-0-6 libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libopal-2.2 libgpod-common gimp libgnome-speech7 libgimp2.0
mono-runtime libgmime-2.0-2a libisccfg30 python-cups gnome-core libc-ares1 dia-common dmz-cursor-theme python-4suite-xml
libcolorblind0 gnumeric python-pkg-resources festival libpt-1.10.10-plugins-v4l libgpgme11 libggzcore9 gconf-editor
libgc1c2 gnuchess libisc32 libgsl0ldbl totem gnome-accessibility-themes unace libxp6 gimp-data libgnome-vfs2.0-cil
perlmagick inkscape libavahi-ui0 libgtkglext1 libmono-cairo1.0-cil gstreamer0.10-tools freeglut3 libpstoedit0c2a
gimp-python file-roller serpentine libntfs-3g24 sound-juicer
The Following Packages would be [Removed]:
cli-common cupsys-common dasher dasher-data dia-common dia-gnome dia-libs dmz-cursor-theme dnsutils ekiga eog festival
festlex-cmu festlex-poslex festvox-kallpc16k file-roller finger freeglut3 gcalctool gconf-editor ggzcore-bin gimp
gimp-data gimp-gnomevfs gimp-python gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-backgrounds gnome-cards-data gnome-core gnome-games
gnome-games-data gnome-games-extra-data gnome-mag gnome-nettool gnome-orca gnome-themes gnome-themes-extras
gnome-volume-manager gnuchess gnuchess-book gnumeric gnumeric-common gok gstreamer0.10-tools gthumb gthumb-data
gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-pixbuf gucharmap guile-1.8-libs inkscape libart2.0-cil libavahi-ui0 libbind9-30 libbrlapi0.5
libc-ares1 libcolorblind0 libdns32 libelfg0 libgc1c2 libgconf2.0-cil libggz2 libggzcore9 libggzmod4 libgimp2.0
libgksu1.2-0 libgksuui1.0-1 libglade2.0-cil libglib2.0-cil libgmime-2.0-2a libgnome-mag2 libgnome-speech7
libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgnome2.0-cil libgoffice-0-6 libgoffice-0-6-common libgpgme11 libgpod-common libgpod3
libgsf-gnome-1-114 libgsl0ldbl libgtk-vnc-1.0-0 libgtk2.0-cil libgtkglext1 libgtkhtml2-0 libisc32 libisccc30 libisccfg30
liblwres30 libmagick++10 libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil libmono-addins0.2-cil libmono-cairo1.0-cil libmono-corlib1.0-cil
libmono-data-tds1.0-cil libmono-i18n1.0-cil libmono-security1.0-cil libmono-sharpzip0.84-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil
libmono-system-data1.0-cil libmono-system-web1.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-system1.0-cil libmono1.0-cil
libmono2.0-cil libmtp7 libntfs-3g24 libopal-2.2 libplot2c2 libpstoedit0c2a libpt-1.10.10 libpt-1.10.10-plugins-alsa
libpt-1.10.10-plugins-v4l libpth20 libsgutils1 libwmf-bin libxp6 lzop mono-gac mono-runtime ncompress p7zip perlmagick
pstoedit python-4suite-doc python-4suite-xml python-brlapi python-ctypes python-cups python-eggtrayicon
python-gnome2-extras python-gst0.10 python-gtkglext1 python-gtkhtml2 python-gtkmozembed python-notify python-opengl
python-pkg-resources rhythmbox seahorse serpentine sg3-utils sharutils sound-juicer system-config-printer totem unace
vinagre vino w3c-dtd-xhtml whois xulrunner-gnome-support
???级? 0 个软件??????? 0 个软件???removing 152 packages??? 2 个软件?被??级??
Remv libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil [0.3.1-5]
Remv libmono-addins0.2-cil [0.3.1-5]
Remv cli-common [0.5.7]
Remv cupsys-common [1.3.7-7]
Remv dasher [4.7.3-1]
Remv dasher-data [4.7.3-1]
Remv dia-gnome [0.96.1-6]
Remv dia-common [0.96.1-6]
Remv dia-libs [0.96.1-6]
Remv dmz-cursor-theme [0.4.1]
Remv gnome-nettool [2.22.0-1]
Remv dnsutils [1:9.5.0.dfsg-1]
Remv ekiga [2.0.11-2.1]
Remv gnome-core [1:2.20.2.4]
Remv eog [2.22.2-1]
Remv festvox-kallpc16k [1.4.0-5]
Remv festlex-poslex [1.4.0-5]
Remv festlex-cmu [1.4.0-6]
Remv festival [1.96~beta-7]
Remv file-roller [2.22.3-1]
Remv finger [0.17-12]
Remv python-opengl [3.0.0~b1-2]
Remv freeglut3 [2.4.0-6.1]
Remv gcalctool [5.22.2-1]
Remv gconf-editor [2.22.0-1]
Remv ggzcore-bin [0.0.14.1-1]
Remv gimp-python [2.4.6-1]
Remv gimp-gnomevfs [2.4.6-1]
Remv gimp [2.4.6-1]
Remv gimp-data [2.4.6-1]
Remv gnome-accessibility-themes [2.22.2-1]
Remv gnome-backgrounds [2.22.0-1]
Remv gnome-games [1:2.22.2.1-1]
Remv gnome-games-data [1:2.22.2.1-1]
Remv gnome-cards-data [1:2.22.2.1-1]
Remv gnome-games-extra-data [2.22.0-1]
Remv gnome-mag [1:0.15.0-1]
Remv gnome-orca [2.22.2-1]
Remv gnome-themes [2.22.2-1]
Remv gnome-themes-extras [0.9.0.deb0.3]
Remv gnome-volume-manager [2.22.1-1]
Remv gnuchess-book [1.00-2]
Remv gnuchess [5.07-4.1]
Remv gnumeric [1.8.3-1]
Remv gnumeric-common [1.8.3-1]
Remv gok [1.3.7-1]
Remv gstreamer0.10-tools [0.10.19-3]
Remv gthumb [3:2.10.8-1]
Remv gthumb-data [3:2.10.8-1]
Remv gtk2-engines [1:2.14.2-1]
Remv gtk2-engines-pixbuf [2.12.10-2]
Remv gucharmap [1:2.22.1-1]
Remv guile-1.8-libs [1.8.5+1-1]
Remv inkscape [0.46-1+b1]
Remv libgnome2.0-cil [2.20.1-1]
Remv libart2.0-cil [2.20.1-1]
Remv vinagre [0.5.1-1]
Remv libavahi-ui0 [0.6.22-5]
Remv libbind9-30 [1:9.4.2-10]
Remv python-brlapi [3.10~r3724-1]
Remv libbrlapi0.5 [3.10~r3724-1]
Remv libc-ares1 [1.5.1-0]
Remv libcolorblind0 [0.0.1-1]
Remv libisccfg30 [1:9.4.2-10]
Remv libdns32 [1:9.4.2-10]
Remv libelfg0 [0.8.10-2]
Remv libgc1c2 [1:6.8-1.1]
Remv libgconf2.0-cil [2.20.1-1]
Remv libggzmod4 [0.0.14.1-1]
Remv libggzcore9 [0.0.14.1-1]
Remv libggz2 [0.0.14.1-1]
Remv libgimp2.0 [2.4.6-1]
Remv serpentine [0.9-5]
Remv python-gnome2-extras [2.19.1-2]
Remv libgksu1.2-0 [1.3.8-1]
Remv libgksuui1.0-1 [1.0.7-2]
Remv libglade2.0-cil [2.12.1-1]
Remv libgtk2.0-cil [2.12.1-1]
Remv libgnome-vfs2.0-cil [2.20.1-1]
Remv libglib2.0-cil [2.12.1-1]
Remv libgmime-2.0-2a [2.2.21-1]
Remv libgnome-mag2 [1:0.15.0-1]
Remv libgnome-speech7 [1:0.4.19-1]
Remv libgoffice-0-6 [0.6.3-1]
Remv libgoffice-0-6-common [0.6.3-1]
Remv seahorse [2.22.2-3]
Remv libgpgme11 [1.1.6-2]
Remv libgpod-common [0.6.0-5]
Remv rhythmbox [0.11.5-5]
Remv libgpod3 [0.6.0-5]
Remv libgsf-gnome-1-114 [1.14.8-1]
Remv libgsl0ldbl [1.11-2]
Remv libgtk-vnc-1.0-0 [0.3.6-2]
Remv python-gtkglext1 [1.1.0-3.1]
Remv libgtkglext1 [1.2.0-1]
Remv python-gtkhtml2 [2.19.1-2]
Remv libgtkhtml2-0 [2.11.1-2]
Remv libisccc30 [1:9.4.2-10]
Remv libisc32 [1:9.4.2-10]
Remv liblwres30 [1:9.4.2-10]
Remv pstoedit [3.45-3]
Remv libpstoedit0c2a [3.45-3]
Remv libmagick++10 [7:6.3.7.9.dfsg1-2+b2]
Remv libmono-cairo1.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono2.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1] [libmono-system-web2.0-cil ]
Remv libmono-system-web2.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono1.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv mono-runtime [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv mono-gac [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono-system-web1.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono-system-data1.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono-sharpzip0.84-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono-data-tds1.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono-security1.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono-system1.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono-i18n1.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono-corlib1.0-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil [1.9.1+dfsg-1]
Remv libmtp7 [0.2.6.1-2]
Remv libntfs-3g24 [1:1.2310-1]
Remv libopal-2.2 [2.2.11~dfsg1-4]
Remv libplot2c2 [2.5-2+b1]
Remv libpt-1.10.10 [1.10.10-2]
Remv libpt-1.10.10-plugins-alsa [1.10.10-2]
Remv libpt-1.10.10-plugins-v4l [1.10.10-2]
Remv libpth20 [2.0.7-10]
Remv sg3-utils [1.24-2]
Remv libsgutils1 [1.24-2]
Remv libwmf-bin [0.2.8.4-6]
Remv libxp6 [1:1.0.0.xsf1-1]
Remv lzop [1.02~rc1-2]
Remv ncompress [4.2.4.2-1]
Remv p7zip [4.57~dfsg.1-1]
Remv perlmagick [7:6.3.7.9.dfsg1-2+b2]
Remv python-4suite-doc [1.0.2-5]
Remv python-4suite-xml [1.0.2-5]
Remv python-ctypes [1.0.2-5]
Remv system-config-printer [0.7.81-4]
Remv python-cups [1.9.31-1]
Remv python-eggtrayicon [2.19.1-2]
Remv python-gst0.10 [0.10.11-1]
Remv python-gtkmozembed [2.19.1-2]
Remv python-notify [0.1.1-2+b1]
Remv python-pkg-resources [0.6c8-3]
Remv sharutils [1:4.6.3-1]
Remv sound-juicer [2.22.0-1]
Remv totem [2.22.2-3]
Remv unace [1.2b-6]
Remv vino [2.22.2-1]
Remv w3c-dtd-xhtml [1.1-5]
Remv whois [4.7.26]
Remv xulrunner-gnome-support [1.8.1.14-3]

Old 06-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Florian Kulzer

[ Please try to turn off the HTML part of your messages. ]

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:18:40 +0800, Reeyarn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've come accoss a similar problem, that my apt-get or aptitude wanted to
> remove my gnome, gtk, etc. Almost ervery core module of gnome i think.(see
> attached for the result of apt-get autoremove -s)

[...]

I think you are missing one or more of the following metapackages:

gnome | The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components
gnome-core | The GNOME Desktop Environment -- essential components
gnome-core-devel | The GNOME Desktop Environment -- development components
gnome-desktop-environment | The GNOME Desktop Environment
gnome-devel | The GNOME Desktop Environment -- development tools
gnome-fifth-toe | The GNOME Fifth Toe applications
gnome-office | The GNOME Office suite
gnome-themes-extras | various themes for the GNOME 2 desktop

The metapackages themselves are "empty", but they protect other packages
from autoremoval by depending on them.

Florian |

Old 06-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Reeyarn

2008/6/14 Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:

> [ Please try to turn off the HTML part of your messages. ]
>
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:18:40 +0800, Reeyarn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've come accoss a similar problem, that my apt-get or aptitude wanted to
> > remove my gnome, gtk, etc. Almost ervery core module of gnome i think.(see
> > attached for the result of apt-get autoremove -s)
>
> [...]
>
> I think you are missing one or more of the following metapackages:
>
> gnome | The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components
> gnome-core | The GNOME Desktop Environment -- essential components
> gnome-core-devel | The GNOME Desktop Environment -- development components
> gnome-desktop-environment | The GNOME Desktop Environment
> gnome-devel | The GNOME Desktop Environment -- development tools
> gnome-fifth-toe | The GNOME Fifth Toe applications
> gnome-office | The GNOME Office suite
> gnome-themes-extras | various themes for the GNOME 2 desktop
>
> The metapackages themselves are "empty", but they protect other packages
> from autoremoval by depending on them.
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |

Hi Kulzer,

I've got the problem. Thank you for that.

My gnome-desktop-environment is not installed, because it depends on
gnome-system-tools,
gnome-system-tools: depends: liboobs-1-3 (>= 2.19.91)
but 'libooobs-1-3' is unavailable in 'sid' right now.

Just wonder why I could still use gnome...amazine

Regards,

Reeyarn

Old 06-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:36:34 +0800, Reeyarn wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:18:40 +0800, Reeyarn wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've come accoss a similar problem, that my apt-get or aptitude wanted to
> > > remove my gnome, gtk, etc. Almost ervery core module of gnome i think.(see
> > > attached for the result of apt-get autoremove -s)

[...]

> I've got the problem. Thank you for that.
>
> My gnome-desktop-environment is not installed, because it depends on
> gnome-system-tools,
> gnome-system-tools: depends: liboobs-1-3 (>= 2.19.91)
> but 'libooobs-1-3' is unavailable in 'sid' right now.

If you really need libooobs-1-3 then you can add a Lenny/testing line to
your /etc/apt/sources.list. Lenny still has version 2.20.0-1 of
liboobs-1-3.

However, it seems to me that Gnome on Sid does not require libooobs-1-3
anymore:

$ aptitude why gnome liboobs-1-3
p gnome Suggests gnome-dbg
p gnome-dbg Recommends liboobs-1-3-dbg
p liboobs-1-3-dbg Depends liboobs-1-3 (= 2.20.0-1)

The "suggests" of gnome-dbg can safely be ignored, unless you really
need to do some debugging of gnome system components or applications.
(In that case you probably have to wait until gnome-dbg is updated for
liboobs-1-4.)

Gnome itself has switched to liboobs-1-4 (which is available in Sid):

$ aptitude why gnome liboobs-1-4
p gnome Depends gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.20.2.4)
p gnome-desktop-environment Depends gnome-system-tools (>= 2.20.0)
p gnome-system-tools Depends liboobs-1-4

Maybe your mirror is in an inconsistent state or you did not run
"apt-get update" recently enough. It could also be that the liboobs-1-3
to liboobs-1-4 transition of Gnome is not complete yet, so maybe you
just have to wait for a few more days.

> Just wonder why I could still use gnome...amazine

If you have all the components of Gnome installed then it will work fine
without the "gnome" and the "gnome-desktop-environment" metapackage.
Just don't run any autoremoval commands.

Florian |

Old 06-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Reeyarn

2008/6/15 Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
>[...]
> Gnome itself has switched to liboobs-1-4 (which is available in Sid):
>
> $ aptitude why gnome liboobs-1-4
> p gnome Depends gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.20.2.4)
> p gnome-desktop-environment Depends gnome-system-tools (>= 2.20.0)
> p gnome-system-tools Depends liboobs-1-4
>
> Maybe your mirror is in an inconsistent state or you did not run
> "apt-get update" recently enough. It could also be that the liboobs-1-3
> to liboobs-1-4 transition of Gnome is not complete yet, so maybe you
> just have to wait for a few more days.

I've tried both sid mirror in debian.cn99.com of China and
ftp2.jp.debian.org of Japan, and I have run 'apt-get update' just now.
But the problem still exists:

# aptitude why gnome liboobs-1-3
i gnome depends gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.20.2.4)
iB gnome-desktop-environment depends gnome-system-tools (>= 2.20.0)
i gnome-system-tools depends liboobs-1-3 (>= 2.19.91)

# aptitude why gnome liboobs-1-4
No reason for installing liboobs-1-4.

I guess it's just that liboobs-1-3 to liboobs-1-4 transition is not
yet complete.
So I turned off my unstable line in sources.list and added a testing in it.
Then my aptitude downgraded some packages back and repaired my gnome.
Maybe I just have to wait for some days.

Thanks Florian!

Reeyarn

Old 06-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 02:09:50 +0800, Reeyarn wrote:
> >> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:36:34 +0800, Reeyarn wrote:
> >> I've got the problem. Thank you for that.
> >>
> >> My gnome-desktop-environment is not installed, because it depends on
> >> gnome-system-tools,
> >> gnome-system-tools: depends: liboobs-1-3 (>= 2.19.91)
> >> but 'libooobs-1-3' is unavailable in 'sid' right now.

[...]

> I've tried both sid mirror in debian.cn99.com of China and
> ftp2.jp.debian.org of Japan, and I have run 'apt-get update' just now.
> But the problem still exists:
>
> # aptitude why gnome liboobs-1-3
> i gnome depends gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.20.2.4)
> iB gnome-desktop-environment depends gnome-system-tools (>= 2.20.0)
> i gnome-system-tools depends liboobs-1-3 (>= 2.19.91)
>
> # aptitude why gnome liboobs-1-4
> No reason for installing liboobs-1-4.

That looks like your gnome-system-tools package is still at version
2.20.0-2. An up-to-date Sid mirror should have version 2.22.0-1, which
depends on liboobs-1-4. It could be that some other dependency block the
upgrade, but such problems should eventually sort themselves out.

> I guess it's just that liboobs-1-3 to liboobs-1-4 transition is not
> yet complete.
> So I turned off my unstable line in sources.list and added a testing in it.
> Then my aptitude downgraded some packages back and repaired my gnome.
> Maybe I just have to wait for some days.

If the problem does not go away on its own: Add the Sid sources again,
run "apt-get update" and check with

apt-cache policy gnome-system-tools

which versions of gnome-system-tools are available. It should be
possible to upgrade to version 2.22.0-1 once the liboobs transition is
complete. (I don't run Gnome myself, so I cannot easily check what the
status is right now.)

Florian |

Old 06-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Reeyarn

2008/6/16 Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:

> That looks like your gnome-system-tools package is still at version
> 2.20.0-2. An up-to-date Sid mirror should have version 2.22.0-1, which
> depends on liboobs-1-4.

It seems gnome-system-tools in sid(i386) is still at 2.20.0-6, while
other platform like amd64 has upgraded to 2.22.0-1.

I ran it in my computer and it gets:
# apt-cache policy gnome-system-tools
gnome-system-tools:
Installed:2.20.0-6
Available:2.20.0-6
Version Lists:
*** 2.20.0-6 0
500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

In the packages website,
http://packages.debian.org/gnome-system-tools, it reads,
sid (unstable) (gnome):
2.22.0-1: amd64 arm hppa ia64 s390 sparc
2.20.0-6: alpha armel i386 mips mipsel powerpc
2.20.0-2: m68k

To cite Daniel and Dietrich once more,
In other words, neither of these packages can be upgraded right now.