-   -   pppoeconf does not work (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/104600-pppoeconf-does-not-work.html)

"中和" 06-11-2008 09:49 AM

pppoeconf does not work

It's a quite strange issue, I have searched on google for the whole day, but cannot solve it, so I send this email to get help from you.
*
I installed Debian for both my PC and notebook using the same*debian-40r3-i386-CD-1.iso CD. I have a ADSL boardband and there is no problem using the boardband on the debian in my PC, but there IS problem in using the brandband on debian in my notebook, though I configured*them in*the same way:

apt-get install pppoeconf
pppoeconf
When I*ran pppoeconf on my PC, it*went on smoothly and successfully, but when I ran it on my notebook, I got this error message:*
*

Sorry, I scanned 1 interface, but the Access
Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please
check your network and modem cables. Another reason
for the scan failure may also be another running pppoe
process which controls the modem.

*
Then I checked my network card of my notebook by connecting my notebook to my PC using a special network cable, and I can get the shared*files on my PC from my notebook, so I think my network card of my notebook is fine.

*
So I feel quite strange, what should the problem be?* I really need your help, I'm a newbie of debian, this is the first time I use debian. thanks!

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 06-11-2008 11:19 AM

pppoeconf does not work

*和 wrote:
> It's a quite strange issue, I have searched on google for the whole
> day, but cannot solve it, so I send this email to get help from you.
>
> I installed Debian for both my PC and notebook using the
> same debian-40r3-i386-CD-1.iso CD. I have a ADSL boardband and there
> is no problem using the boardband on the debian in my PC, but there IS
> problem in using the brandband on debian in my notebook, though I
> configured them in the same way:
>
> apt-get install pppoeconf
> pppoeconf
>
> When I ran pppoeconf on my PC, it went on smoothly and successfully,
> but when I ran it on my notebook, I got this error message:
>

> Sorry, I scanned 1 interface, but the Access
> Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please
> check your network and modem cables. Another reason
> for the scan failure may also be another running pppoe
> process which controls the modem.
>

> Then I checked my network card of my notebook by connecting my
> notebook to my PC using a special network cable, and I can get the
> shared files on my PC from my notebook, so I think my network card of
> my notebook is fine.
>
> So I feel quite strange, what should the problem be? I really need
> your help, I'm a newbie of debian, this is the first time I use
> debian. thanks!

Do you disconnect your desktop when you try to connect via the laptop?

--
Finagle's Seventh Law:
The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

"Star Liu" 06-11-2008 12:52 PM

pppoeconf does not work

Thanks for your attention!
I tried "pppoeconf" in both the gnome-terminal under gdm desktop and the pure text mode(single user mode at boot menu) ,* is there any other ways I can try?
*
>On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:

>Do you disconnect your desktop when you try to connect via the laptop?

--
Finagle's Seventh Law:
****** The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

*

*

--
--------------------------------
Buddha Linux Debian

"Star Liu" 06-11-2008 10:11 PM

pppoeconf does not work

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 06-11-2008 10:23 PM

pppoeconf does not work

Star Liu wrote:
> Thanks for your attention!
> I tried "pppoeconf" in both the gnome-terminal under gdm desktop and
> the pure text mode(single user mode at boot menu) , is there any
> other ways I can try?

As I had asked,

Do you disconnect your desktop when you try to connect via the laptop?

--
We are each entitled to our own opinion, but no one is entitled to his
own facts.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 06-11-2008 10:32 PM

pppoeconf does not work

Star Liu wrote:
> Hi Eduardo,
>
> I'm not sure what does this mean, how to disconnect my desktop ? sorry,
> i'm a newbie.

Firstly, please reply to the list so that others can see the posts and
possibly help you.

Essentially, you cannot at the same time run pppoe in the desktop and in
the laptop. I do not know how one disconnects pppoe; turning off the
system should do that, at least for you to try.

If you want both computers to have access at the same time, you need a
different setup, you cannot rum pppoe on both at the same time.

--
It was all so different before everything changed.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Star Liu 06-11-2008 10:53 PM

pppoeconf does not work

I tried it in this way:

1. connect from my desktop to ADSL, it works fine

2. disconnect the ADSL from desktop, and shutdown the desktop

3. run pppoeconf in my laptop

4. get the*error message

it seems the laptop cannot communicate with the adsl server, but I have no idea on how to check and fix it.

*

thanks

> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:32:34 -0300
> From: eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: pppoeconf does not work
>
> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> > <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br <mailto:eduardo@kalinowski.com.br>> wrote:
> > > Do you disconnect your desktop when you try to connect via the
> > > laptop?
> Star Liu wrote:
> > Hi Eduardo,
> >
> > I'm not sure what does this mean, how to disconnect my desktop ? sorry,
> > i'm a newbie.
>
> Firstly, please reply to the list so that others can see the posts and
> possibly help you.
>
> Essentially, you cannot at the same time run pppoe in the desktop and in
> the laptop. I do not know how one disconnects pppoe; turning off the
> system should do that, at least for you to try.
>
> If you want both computers to have access at the same time, you need a
> different setup, you cannot rum pppoe on both at the same time.
>
> --
> It was all so different before everything changed.
>
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
> http://move.to/hpkb

Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger* Get it now!

Ding Honghui 06-13-2008 02:33 AM

pppoeconf does not work

Star Liu 06-13-2008 08:55 AM

pppoeconf does not work

I did something more. I bought a router to connect my desktop, laptop and the*ADsL, and using the DHCP to set up the network, now all of them work fine, which means I can connect to internet through my ADSL from both my desktop and laptop concurrently. so I'm not worried about this issue temporally.

I guess there should be some bug in the pppoeconf app, but i don't what happened inside.

Thanks for your attension!