Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Gabriel Parrondo

Default Gnome desktop on fresh lenny install won't logout - how do I debug this?

El mar, 10-06-2008 a las 23:00 +0100, j t escribió:
> Hi all.
>
> I've just installed a fresh Lenny on my Thinkpad T60. In addition to
> the base install, I've installed the "xorg" package and the
> "gnome-core" package, so I don't have gdm (I just login and run
> "startx").
>
> When I've finished using X, I logout by clicking on "System" (on the
> Gnome Menu Bar) and then clicking on "Log Out <username>". But 50% of
> the time, this does nothing (just as though I'd clicked on the
> adjacent button, "Cancel", instead).
>
> I've been playing around trying to work out where the problem is, and
> I've found out that the problem only happens if I run startx and then
> try to logout _without_ having started any other programs. If, for
> example, I start just one "Gnome terminal" and then close the
> terminal, the problem does NOT happen. (it's as though starting at
> least 1 program clears something that stops the problem from
> happening).
>
> If, however, I run startx, wait a few seconds (without starting
> anything else) and then try to logout by clicking on "System", then
> "Log Out <username>", the system will hang about 50% of the time.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I can debug this to work out which
> package I should report the bug against?

You should check the programs that are started on gnome startup. Pull
all of them out and re-add them one by one.
Most likely, one of them is keeping the init script from finishing and
that's why you can't logout.

Another way to go is to add a new user with a clean home and try with
him.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."