Old 06-11-2008, 05:48 AM
"Magicloud"

Default How to make a link backup?

Hello,

******** Assuming
I have two WAN link, with two different routes and ips. And I have two nics in
my box.

******** Usually,
I only use one link, the primary link. But sometimes, the primary link is down,
I need to switch to another link ASAP, and switch back when the broken link is
OK again for a certain long time.

******** How
to do this? I do not think bonding works here, right?

*

Thanks.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Tim Ruehsen

Am Mittwoch, 11. Juni 2008 schrieb Magicloud:
> Hello,
>
> Assuming I have two WAN link, with two different routes and ips.
> And I have two nics in my box.
>
> Usually, I only use one link, the primary link. But sometimes, the
> primary link is down, I need to switch to another link ASAP, and switch
> back when the broken link is OK again for a certain long time.
>
> How to do this? I do not think bonding works here, right?
>

> Thanks.

I never gave it a try on linux (on winxp it seems to work): 'metric' is for
that purpose.
See 'route -n' and/or 'man route'.

The man page says:
Metric The 'distance' to the target (usually counted in hops). It is
not used by recent kernels, but may be needed by routing dae-
mons.

sorry, not a solutuion. more like a hint.

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Tim Rühsen