Old 06-10-2008, 10:00 PM
"j t"

Default Gnome desktop on fresh lenny install won't logout - how do I debug this?

Hi all.

I've just installed a fresh Lenny on my Thinkpad T60. In addition to
the base install, I've installed the "xorg" package and the
"gnome-core" package, so I don't have gdm (I just login and run
"startx").

When I've finished using X, I logout by clicking on "System" (on the
Gnome Menu Bar) and then clicking on "Log Out <username>". But 50% of
the time, this does nothing (just as though I'd clicked on the
adjacent button, "Cancel", instead).

I've been playing around trying to work out where the problem is, and
I've found out that the problem only happens if I run startx and then
try to logout _without_ having started any other programs. If, for
example, I start just one "Gnome terminal" and then close the
terminal, the problem does NOT happen. (it's as though starting at
least 1 program clears something that stops the problem from
happening).

If, however, I run startx, wait a few seconds (without starting
anything else) and then try to logout by clicking on "System", then
"Log Out <username>", the system will hang about 50% of the time.

Does anyone have any idea how I can debug this to work out which
package I should report the bug against?

Thanks, J :-)

Old 06-11-2008, 09:48 PM
"j t"

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:46 AM, Gabriel Parrondo <g.parrondo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If, however, I run startx, wait a few seconds (without starting
>> anything else) and then try to logout by clicking on "System", then
>> "Log Out <username>", the system will hang about 50% of the time.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea how I can debug this to work out which
>> package I should report the bug against?
>>

> You should check the programs that are started on gnome startup. Pull
> all of them out and re-add them one by one.
> Most likely, one of them is keeping the init script from finishing and
> that's why you can't logout.
>
> Another way to go is to add a new user with a clean home and try with
> him.

OK, I've tried the 2nd thing 1st: I've created a new user using
"adduser testuser", and tried to recreate the problem by logging in as
testuser and then running startx. The problem is still there - i.e. it
happens with a completely fresh userid.

Just to recap: I'm running a completely fresh Lenny install, I don't
have gdm installed, I login at a virtual terminal using a new fresh
userid, run startx and WITHOUT running anything from the desktop, I
try to logout. Logout hangs.

I'm a little surprised that I'm the first to find this - I would have
thought that there would be lots of people running Lenny at the moment
(so there would also be at least a few running Lenny without gdm), but
that's a different matter!

With regards to "checking the programs that are started on Gnome
startup", the "Startup Programs" tab of Gnome's "Sessions Preferences"
app only shows 1 program: "Visual Assistance", and I've unchecked
(disabled) that but I still get the same problem. Is there any other
way to disable startup programs that I'm not aware of?

One other point of interest: If logout hangs, I can clear the hang by
running any program (either from Alt-F2, or by clicking on an icon on
one of the panels). As soon as I start any other app, the logout
continues normally and X then shuts down.

Should I just log this as a bug against gnome-session and see how it
goes from there? Again, thanks for any help,

Jaime