Old 06-10-2008, 04:44 PM
"David Fox"

Default RealPlayer Guidance Needed

OOPS forgot to send this to the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: RealPlayer Guidance Needed
To: "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info>

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> When an old cpu died I upgraded to a new motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64
> Processor 3800+. I am running the current version of Lenny with a

So are you running amd64 lenny, or a 32 bit lenny with a 64-bit kernel?

I too did a 32->64 bit upgrade (I replaced my 7 year old tired athlon
1000 cpu and motherboard with an ECS motherboard and 5200 dual core
amd64 cpu) recently. But I'm on (for right now) ubuntu hardy heron
8.04.

Things might be a little different. First of all, do other web videos
work in your browser (youtube for instance)?

Since realplayer is strictly 32-bit, are there ways to listen to your
content with mplayer, gxine, or other tools? I have yet to install
realplayer on this new rig.

Look for a package called ia32-libs & ia32libs-gtk. The package might
be named differently in Debian, as well as the codecs (w32codecs, but
I have w64codecs installed here. I can play the NY Times videos OK as
well as CNN videos, radio stations (haven't tested extensively, most
seem to work). See if you can coax them to play the content in a
different way. Oftentimes all you need is a package that supplies the
cook library, which w64codecs supplies, so I haven't yet found a
needed reason to have realplayer installed here.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Thomas H. George wrote :
When an old cpu died I upgraded to a new motherboard and an AMD Athlon
64 Processor 3800+. I am running the current version of Lenny with a
2.6.24-1-amd64 kernel. I can no longer listen to the audio streams from
my favorite radio stations, play the NY Times videos and sundry links
suggested by my email correspondents.

I checked the mozilla (iceape?) plugins and it looked like I needed
nswrapperplugin. I downloaded the RPM's, ran alien and dpkg then found
the notice that linux32 must be installed to use the plugin. When I
started apt-get install linux32 dire warnings of essentials to be
removed caused me to quickly abort the installation.

I realize I'm clueless about the current problems. Please humor me and
tell me what I should read to understand what's going on and what I
must learn to go about fixing my system.

Tom

Hi, if you really want to use the real stuff download the .bin of the
latest version (11). You can run it as unprivileged user and put where
you want or as root and it will default in /opt (just type in console
"./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin" in the directory where you downloaded it).

It works on Lenny at least, but not really better than Mplayer's plugin...

Yet Another Tom