Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   CC version conflicts--kernel vs nvidia driver (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/104104-cc-version-conflicts-kernel-vs-nvidia-driver.html)

"H.S." 06-10-2008 04:40 PM

CC version conflicts--kernel vs nvidia driver
 
Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:



The following helped me:

# cd /usr/bin
# rm gcc
# ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc

After compiling the kernel module, you can redo the steps above with
gcc-4.3, or you can leave it this way.



if all you want is to use gcc-4.1, how about using:
$> CC=gcc-4.1 make progname

I guess it will depend on how the makefile of the program to be compiled
is made (I will be surprised if gcc is hardcoded into it).


Also, instead of fiddling with the binaries in /usr/bin, perhaps
alternatives could be used (/etc/alternatives) to point gcc to gcc-4.1.
Removing binaries from /usr/bin doesn't seem right to me.


->HS



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

David Baron 06-10-2008 06:41 PM

CC version conflicts--kernel vs nvidia driver
 
On Tuesday 10 June 2008 20:18:45 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > I have nvidia's "proprietary" dirver 96.43.01 running well on my
> > Debian Sid. There is a bug in the opengl which will show up, for
> > example, rotating a piece in a jigsaw puzzle program, where areas
> > near the cursor are incorrectly painted. Their driver is up to
> > version .05 so I tried to install.
> >
> > Their .run complained about the gcc version. I noticed the
> > kernel-compiled .ko's will show a 4.1.3. Now I compiled that kernel
> > much more recently than that!! *Going ahead with the current 4.3.2!!
> > will produce and un-modprobable nvidia.ko. No --force option will
> > avail.
> >
> > Their instructions say set a CC environment variable. Anything I try
> > will then produce a complain that this "compiler" cannot produce
> > execs. I tried 4.1.3, gcc4.1.3, gcc-4.1.3 and such variations of the
> > current version to no avail.
> >
> > Since the kernel compile chose this older version, recompiling clean
> > will probably not help. What do I do to kludge this (I have sometimes
> > succeeded in editing vermagic stuff if the result had exactly the
> > same length but the gcc is not in this string.)
>
> The *following helped me:
>
> # cd /usr/bin
> # rm gcc
> # ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc
>
> After compiling the kernel module, you can redo the steps above with
> gcc-4.3, or you can leave it this way.

Worked fine. Actually, the kernel used 4.2 (the module I looked at, probably
no longer relevant, said 4.1). All's well.

I have nine (count 'em) gcc-'s from 2.95 to 4.3. Do I need all of these?



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Nyizsnyik Ferenc 06-10-2008 06:54 PM

CC version conflicts--kernel vs nvidia driver
 
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:40:18 -0400
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Removing binaries from /usr/bin doesn't seem right to me.
>
> ->HS
>

/usr/bin/gcc is only a symbolic link to one of the versions of gcc, like
gcc-3.4, gcc-4.2, etc, not a binary. And I tried update-alternatives
first, but:

# update-alternatives --config cc

There is only 1 program which provides cc
(/usr/bin/gcc). Nothing to configure.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.
http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/4


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Graeme Tank 06-12-2008 01:08 AM

CC version conflicts--kernel vs nvidia driver
 
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:41:52PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008 20:18:45 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
> wrote:
> > > I have nvidia's "proprietary" dirver 96.43.01 running well on my
> > > Debian Sid. There is a bug in the opengl which will show up, for
> > > example, rotating a piece in a jigsaw puzzle program, where areas
> > > near the cursor are incorrectly painted. Their driver is up to
> > > version .05 so I tried to install.
> > >
> > > Their .run complained about the gcc version. I noticed the
> > > kernel-compiled .ko's will show a 4.1.3. Now I compiled that kernel
> > > much more recently than that!! *Going ahead with the current 4.3.2!!
> > > will produce and un-modprobable nvidia.ko. No --force option will
> > > avail.
> > >
> > > Their instructions say set a CC environment variable. Anything I try
> > > will then produce a complain that this "compiler" cannot produce
> > > execs. I tried 4.1.3, gcc4.1.3, gcc-4.1.3 and such variations of the
> > > current version to no avail.
> > >
> > > Since the kernel compile chose this older version, recompiling clean
> > > will probably not help. What do I do to kludge this (I have sometimes
> > > succeeded in editing vermagic stuff if the result had exactly the
> > > same length but the gcc is not in this string.)
> >
> > The *following helped me:
> >
> > # cd /usr/bin
> > # rm gcc
> > # ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc
> >
> > After compiling the kernel module, you can redo the steps above with
> > gcc-4.3, or you can leave it this way.
>
> Worked fine. Actually, the kernel used 4.2 (the module I looked at, probably
> no longer relevant, said 4.1). All's well.
>
> I have nine (count 'em) gcc-'s from 2.95 to 4.3. Do I need all of these?

I tend to let dselect suggest to me which packages to remove ... they
are under the "Obsolete and local packages present on system" heading. I
believe apt will also suggest obsolete packages for you to remove and
tell you how to remove them.

Using testing, my installed gcc's are:

$ COLUMNS=80 dpkg -l | grep -E "gcc |gcc-[0-9].[0-9] "
ii gcc 4:4.2.3-10 The GNU C compiler
hi gcc-3.4 3.4.6-6 The GNU C compiler
ii gcc-4.1 4.1.2-19 The GNU C compiler
ii gcc-4.2 4.2.4-1 The GNU C compiler
ii gcc-4.3 4.3.0-5 The GNU C compiler
$

I recall removing gcc-2.95 aways back, but it was quite the
kernel compiling workhorse for some time.

Graeme


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.