Old 06-10-2008, 03:51 PM
David Baron

Default CC version conflicts--kernel vs nvidia driver

I have nvidia's "proprietary" dirver 96.43.01 running well on my Debian Sid.
There is a bug in the opengl which will show up, for example, rotating a
piece in a jigsaw puzzle program, where areas near the cursor are incorrectly
painted. Their driver is up to version .05 so I tried to install.

Their .run complained about the gcc version. I noticed the
kernel-compiled .ko's will show a 4.1.3. Now I compiled that kernel much more
recently than that!! Going ahead with the current 4.3.2!! will produce and
un-modprobable nvidia.ko. No --force option will avail.

Their instructions say set a CC environment variable. Anything I try will then
produce a complain that this "compiler" cannot produce execs. I tried 4.1.3,
gcc4.1.3, gcc-4.1.3 and such variations of the current version to no avail.

Since the kernel compile chose this older version, recompiling clean will
probably not help. What do I do to kludge this (I have sometimes succeeded in
editing vermagic stuff if the result had exactly the same length but the gcc
is not in this string.)

Old 06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Nyizsnyik Ferenc

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:51:49 +0300
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> I have nvidia's "proprietary" dirver 96.43.01 running well on my
> Debian Sid. There is a bug in the opengl which will show up, for
> example, rotating a piece in a jigsaw puzzle program, where areas
> near the cursor are incorrectly painted. Their driver is up to
> version .05 so I tried to install.
>
> Their .run complained about the gcc version. I noticed the
> kernel-compiled .ko's will show a 4.1.3. Now I compiled that kernel
> much more recently than that!! Going ahead with the current 4.3.2!!
> will produce and un-modprobable nvidia.ko. No --force option will
> avail.
>
> Their instructions say set a CC environment variable. Anything I try
> will then produce a complain that this "compiler" cannot produce
> execs. I tried 4.1.3, gcc4.1.3, gcc-4.1.3 and such variations of the
> current version to no avail.
>
> Since the kernel compile chose this older version, recompiling clean
> will probably not help. What do I do to kludge this (I have sometimes
> succeeded in editing vermagic stuff if the result had exactly the
> same length but the gcc is not in this string.)

The following helped me:

# cd /usr/bin
# rm gcc
# ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc

After compiling the kernel module, you can redo the steps above with
gcc-4.3, or you can leave it this way.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc