Old 06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Dexter Filmore

Default kernel tells me stuff on tty1 - want it on tty 8 or 10. how?

Encountered an oddity on a headless machine with etch r3:

When the system is booted, kernel messages are put on tty1. Since this is the
terminal I login to after it's booted this is highly annoying since my screen
is garbled when I run scripts and the kernel messages me about... mounted
disks or plugged ethernet cables etc.
I've never seen this with other distros afair, Slackware puts ll its kernel
output on tty8 for example. I'd like to have that here, too.
Can do?

Dex

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de

Old 06-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:40:12PM +0200, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Encountered an oddity on a headless machine with etch r3:
>
> When the system is booted, kernel messages are put on tty1.

They actually go to /dev/tty (your "current" console).

> Since this is the
> terminal I login to after it's booted this is highly annoying since my screen
> is garbled when I run scripts and the kernel messages me about... mounted
> disks or plugged ethernet cables etc.
> I've never seen this with other distros afair, Slackware puts ll its kernel
> output on tty8 for example. I'd like to have that here, too.
> Can do?

setlogcons .

You'll have to open(8) that terminal first, I believe.

I use in a certian init.d script:

CONSOLE=10
openvt -c "$CONSOLE" -- /bin/true || true
setlogcons "$CONSOLE" || true

To revert to the default: setlogcons '

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Dexter Filmore

Am Dienstag, 10. Juni 2008 18:15:45 schrieb Tzafrir Cohen:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:40:12PM +0200, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > Encountered an oddity on a headless machine with etch r3:
> >
> > When the system is booted, kernel messages are put on tty1.
>
> They actually go to /dev/tty (your "current" console).
>
> > Since this is the
> > terminal I login to after it's booted this is highly annoying since my
> > screen is garbled when I run scripts and the kernel messages me about...
> > mounted disks or plugged ethernet cables etc.
> > I've never seen this with other distros afair, Slackware puts ll its
> > kernel output on tty8 for example. I'd like to have that here, too.
> > Can do?
>
> setlogcons .
>
> You'll have to open(8) that terminal first, I believe.
>
> I use in a certian init.d script:
>

> CONSOLE=10
> openvt -c "$CONSOLE" -- /bin/true || true
> setlogcons "$CONSOLE" || true

What's it with the "true"?

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de

Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 07:20:40PM +0200, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 10. Juni 2008 18:15:45 schrieb Tzafrir Cohen:
> > On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:40:12PM +0200, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > > Encountered an oddity on a headless machine with etch r3:
> > >
> > > When the system is booted, kernel messages are put on tty1.
> >
> > They actually go to /dev/tty (your "current" console).
> >
> > > Since this is the
> > > terminal I login to after it's booted this is highly annoying since my
> > > screen is garbled when I run scripts and the kernel messages me about...
> > > mounted disks or plugged ethernet cables etc.
> > > I've never seen this with other distros afair, Slackware puts ll its
> > > kernel output on tty8 for example. I'd like to have that here, too.
> > > Can do?
> >
> > setlogcons .
> >
> > You'll have to open(8) that terminal first, I believe.
> >
> > I use in a certian init.d script:
> >

> > CONSOLE=10
> > openvt -c "$CONSOLE" -- /bin/true || true
> > setlogcons "$CONSOLE" || true
> >

> What's it with the "true"?

It is part of an init.d script that runs with -e set (exit on error).
IIRC those two lines could have legitimate reasons to fail (Don't
remember exactly why) and I didn't want them to fail the script.

I figure you should remove them.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend