Old 06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
abelahcene

Default How to install a small graphic manager

Hi,
I have a miniPc, can't install the heavy gnome or kde on it . I want to
install a just graphic , in fact I want to use it , just to display a
window . Any small WM will be OK.

So I have to install the system whitout X, and complete it with small X
later, I don't know what are the required packages to run correctly the X.

thanks for reply
bela

Old 06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Kevin Mark

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:42:55PM +0100, abelahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a miniPc, can't install the heavy gnome or kde on it . I want to
> install a just graphic , in fact I want to use it , just to display a
> window . Any small WM will be OK.
>
> So I have to install the system whitout X, and complete it with small X
> later, I don't know what are the required packages to run correctly the
> X.
>
> thanks for reply
> bela

Define small. I run X and fvwm on my XO-1 with etch.
Its specs are 700mhz/256MB ram/1GB SDD.
iirc it etch was like 300mb or so.
-k
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Preston Boyington

abelahcene wrote:

Hi,
I have a miniPc, can't install the heavy gnome or kde on it . I want to
install a just graphic , in fact I want to use it , just to display a
window . Any small WM will be OK.

i have Fluxbox running on a 133mhz/16mb compaq laptop. with gKrellm and
a few scripts i use it quite often.

So I have to install the system whitout X, and complete it with small X
later, I don't know what are the required packages to run correctly the X.

shouldn't be a problem. use aptitude to help yourself out when
installing. just stay away from the meta packages if you are concerned
about space.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:42:55PM +0100, abelahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a miniPc, can't install the heavy gnome or kde on it . I want to
> install a just graphic , in fact I want to use it , just to display a
> window . Any small WM will be OK.

WM basically implies X.

> So I have to install the system whitout X, and complete it with small X
> later, I don't know what are the required packages to run correctly the X.

matchbox is one example of a desktop optimized for smaller displays on
top of X.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 06-13-2008, 01:00 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:42:55PM +0100, abelahcene wrote:
> I have a miniPc, can't install the heavy gnome or kde on it . I want to
> install a just graphic , in fact I want to use it , just to display a
> window . Any small WM will be OK.
>
> So I have to install the system whitout X, and complete it with small X
> later, I don't know what are the required packages to run correctly the X.

My smallest box is a 486 with 32MB ram with a 512 MB drive. Granted it
can't run Etch anymore but it runs up-to-date xorg from OpenBSD.

I use icewm on all my boxes.

If you only want to show one window, then technically you don't need a
window manager. For convenience, you could have rxvt start then run
your app from that. Set window size and position with --geometry.

Doug.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:00:42PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:42:55PM +0100, abelahcene wrote:
> > I have a miniPc, can't install the heavy gnome or kde on it . I want to
> > install a just graphic , in fact I want to use it , just to display a
> > window . Any small WM will be OK.
> >
> > So I have to install the system whitout X, and complete it with small X
> > later, I don't know what are the required packages to run correctly the X.
> >

> My smallest box is a 486 with 32MB ram with a 512 MB drive. Granted it
> can't run Etch anymore but it runs up-to-date xorg from OpenBSD.

Why can't this box run Etch? IIRC the minimal requirements of the Debian
Installer is either 32MB or 24MB (for the "low memory" variant).

> I use icewm on all my boxes.
>
> If you only want to show one window, then technically you don't need a
> window manager. For convenience, you could have rxvt start then run
> your app from that. Set window size and position with --geometry.

Which is fine, as long as the app does not pop-up any additional
windows. Then things become strange.

For a single-application scenario, you may also run it on the console
frame-buffer directly (at least if it is GTK), I believe.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 06-14-2008, 07:00 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 01:24:21PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:00:42PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> > My smallest box is a 486 with 32MB ram with a 512 MB drive. Granted it
> > can't run Etch anymore but it runs up-to-date xorg from OpenBSD.
>
> Why can't this box run Etch? IIRC the minimal requirements of the Debian
> Installer is either 32MB or 24MB (for the "low memory" variant).

The installer needs 48 MB. I did the drive-swap juggle from another
computer. It takes Etch 5 minutes to boot, and about 30 seconds from
login to bash prompt. X takes about 10 minutes to start and even icewm
with Xorg hits swap, and this with the vesa driver. I get good
resoultion with the xf86-v3 S3 driver but v3 was removed from Etch (and
Sarge). Aptitude hits swap very hard loading all the info on all the
packages in main into memory and causes the box to thrash.

In short, even if you get it loaded, Etch is a dog on old boxes. The
box is rather zippy on OpenBSD.

Doug.