Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 AM
"Mag Gam"

Default indexing particular file types

Is it possible to index all symbolic links (source and destination) of a filesystem? For example, in my university we have a project where professors use vast amount of disk space -- over 10 TB a month. We provide the professors a mount point, /barXX and export that mount point. The professor then symbolic links that filesystem like, ln -s /nfsexport/barXX June10_data. I would like to keep track of these symbolic links. Is there a good method for this? Is there a feature in ext3 which will let me keep track of these symbolic links. I can always do a find /fs and compare inode info, but that would just take too long...

TIA

Old 06-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Christian Jaeger

Mag Gam wrote:

Is it possible to index all symbolic links (source and destination) of a
filesystem? For example, in my university we have a project where professors
use vast amount of disk space -- over 10 TB a month.

For scanning, it's not the amount of bytes which is relevant but the
number of filesystem items.

We provide the
professors a mount point, /barXX and export that mount point. The professor
then symbolic links that filesystem like, ln -s /nfsexport/barXX
June10_data. I would like to keep track of these symbolic links. Is there a
good method for this? Is there a feature in ext3 which will let me keep
track of these symbolic links.

Am I understanding you right that the symlinks are created on the client
systems' local filesystems, not on the networked filesystem (but just
*pointing* inside the networked filesystem)? Then (i.e. you wanting to
be notified centrally about symlinks being created on client disks)
makes the problem actually two problems.

I'm not aware of ready-made solutions, so I expect it will involve some
programming. I'd look into one of the following:

- capture the symlink creation calls in the tools being used (for
example, only use a special tool, or dpkg-divert /bin/ln and put a
wrapper there which collects the information, or modify libc, or use
LD_PRELOAD hacks)
- use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify (but I'm not sure about how
safe this is in regards to races; same is probably also true for the
above solution though)
- use "fuse" (a filesystem in userspace) mounts on the clients, and
write your own filesystem/hooks

Christian.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-14-2008, 02:16 PM
"Mag Gam"

Yes. This is exactly what I intend to do. Thanks for the feedback.

If you have any advice on this please don't hesitate to share with us :-)

TIA