Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Julien Barnier

Default No more sound under X

Hi,

I got a strange problem since a testing ugrade several weeks ago : I
got no more sound underx, whereas it works without any problem in a
terminal without X.

More precisely, if I launch XFCE for example, the sound doesn't
work. To make it work again, I must kill all applications currently
using it (xfce-mcs-manager in this case), unload the sound modules
(emu10k1) and reload them. Then sound works.

I first thought of a problem wiuth xfce-mcs-manager, but the same
problem happens under gnome or fluxbox...

Did anybody have a similar problem ?

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
Julien

Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:41:29 +0200, Julien Barnier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a strange problem since a testing ugrade several weeks ago : I
> got no more sound underx, whereas it works without any problem in a
> terminal without X.

It would be good to know whether this upgrade included the kernel. Check
/var/log/dpkg.log* (or /var/log/aptitude* if you use aptitude).

> More precisely, if I launch XFCE for example, the sound doesn't
> work. To make it work again, I must kill all applications currently
> using it (xfce-mcs-manager in this case), unload the sound modules
> (emu10k1) and reload them. Then sound works.

Which command or media player did you use to check the sound? I would
start with something elementary like "speaker-test -t sine" and watch
for error messages.

> I first thought of a problem wiuth xfce-mcs-manager, but the same
> problem happens under gnome or fluxbox...

Which sound devices do you have? Run

find /dev/ -group audio | grep -v '/.static/'

Check if this output remains unchanged after you start X.

Maybe some background process is blocking access to the sound devices.
You can test this with

lsof $(find /dev/ -group audio)

Florian |