Old 06-09-2008, 08:16 PM

Default Getting network settings to stick

Greetings

I have put Debian Etch on my laptop. Somewhere during the course of
the install the IP address I assigned didn't stick. I have used the
ifconfig command in an attempt to set it but the system doesn't retain
it between boot ups. I have also looked at the file in the
/etc/network directory but it has the address set in there. How can I
get the system to retain the desired IP address?

Any pointers and comments will be appreciated.

Walt

Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 PM
"James Youngman"

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:16 PM, <waltwilliams@intergate.com> wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have put Debian Etch on my laptop. Somewhere during the course of the
> install the IP address I assigned didn't stick. I have used the ifconfig
> command in an attempt to set it but the system doesn't retain it between
> boot ups. I have also looked at the file in the /etc/network directory but
> it has the address set in there. How can I get the system to retain the
> desired IP address?
>
> Any pointers and comments will be appreciated.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#fr55

James.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Kent West

waltwilliams@intergate.com wrote:
I have put Debian Etch on my laptop. Somewhere during the course of
the install the IP address I assigned didn't stick. I have used the
ifconfig command in an attempt to set it but the system doesn't retain
it between boot ups. I have also looked at the file in the
/etc/network directory but it has the address set in there. How can I
get the system to retain the desired IP address?

*Which* file in /etc/network?

You might want to post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces for us to
look at. (Feel free to obscure any actual IP addresses if you'd like.)

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 PM
"Walt L. Williams"

Ooops! sorry. There is only one file in my /etc/network directory. It's called
interface and goes as follows:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.5
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1
dns-search williams_home_network.lan

It was my impression that this is where the system obtained its IP
address. I am not in the know on networking issues, but I am eager
the learn. Any pointers will be appreciated.

--
Best Regards
Walt L. Williams

.