Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 AM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

Default Introductions are stupid. Let artwork speak for artist?

Sorry for being cheeky asshole, but #2 in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork#How_to_Join should be removed,
or at least swapped with #3. What's the ratio of people who send
introduction letters, and artists who actually contribute something,
or at least try hard?

I didn't send any introduction letters, i just spent an evening
animating splash with my curly hands and sub-zero (not to be confused
with "cool") gimp skillz, and second revision of it now welcomes kde4
users in sulphur, right after kdm theme, i've hacked up a bit later
with help of Martin. Contributing to fedora is easy, joining IRC to
show off some drafts or concepts and receive critics is even easier.
I'm pretty sure people who really want to contribute can do it without
loudmouth letters, bringing some artwork instead.

With best regards to people who do more and talk less.
Curly-handed, but attempting to beautify fedora.
Stalwart.
--
http://scwlab.com

Old 06-09-2008, 09:02 AM
JoergSimon

Am Montag, 9. Juni 2008 10:55:42 schrieb Pavel Shevchuk:

> I'm pretty sure people who really want to contribute can do it without
> loudmouth letters, bringing some artwork instead.

i have no idea about doing artwork, but very encouraging, really :P

--
Jörg Simon
jsimon@fedoraproject.org

Old 06-09-2008, 09:10 AM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

>i have no idea about doing artwork, but very encouraging, really :P

Me too, that's why i took Mairin's and Martin's graphics and wrote
script files around them making splash and login theme. I really
wanted to make KDE4 nicer, and i succeeded (well, i hope so)

Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Frank Murphy

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 11:55 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> Sorry for being cheeky asshole, but #2 in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork#How_to_Join should be removed,
> or at least swapped with #3. What's the ratio of people who send
> introduction letters, and artists who actually contribute something,
> or at least try hard?

This is Open to correction: but I think it's on the wiki somwhere, that
those without oss skills couldwouldshould be mentored.

> I didn't send any introduction letters, i just spent an evening
> animating splash with my curly hands and sub-zero (not to be confused
> with "cool") gimp skillz, and second revision of it now welcomes kde4
> users in sulphur, right after kdm theme, i've hacked up a bit later
> with help of Martin. Contributing to fedora is easy, joining IRC to
> show off some drafts or concepts and receive critics is even easier.
> I'm pretty sure people who really want to contribute can do it without
> loudmouth letters, bringing some artwork instead.

As a recent lister, there should be a welcome for those who have at
least got the courage to intro themselves. As it is hard to provide an
example created with the programs, unless one asks for the help
knowledge to do so. There are a myriad of artists out there,
who maybe just need that bit of encouragement to take up the oss
armour (no pun Nico), and a "get on with it", in this case may not be
the best approach.

Currently am printing out the "inkscape manual" by Tavmjong Bah,
am getting there, but it's a slow road for me, I sleep a lot
(http://www.narcolepsy.org.uk/)

Even a weak bulb may help the overall neon lighting.

Frank

Skype: Frankly3D
http://www.frankly3d.com

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Nicu Buculei

Pavel Shevchuk wrote:

Sorry for being cheeky asshole, but #2 in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork#How_to_Join should be removed,
or at least swapped with #3. What's the ratio of people who send

Not sure, I think we want to befriend to each other, form a community
and such. Communication is key, be it on the list, on IRC, on our blogs
and sites like flickr or deviantArt. Spend some time together, know each
other and maybe we will work better as a team.

There is also the "old way": subscribe to the list, lurk for a while to
get familiar with the project, make a few small comments and go bit time
into work when if feel comfortable.

introduction letters, and artists who actually contribute something,
or at least try hard?

First, there is a large number of membership requests in FAS (the Fedora
Account System). I sent an introductory message tot he applicants,
inviting them tot he list and show the DesignService queue. Only a few
of them follow with an introduction and *some* of them get past the
introduction

I actively delete the request not followed after 2 weeks, but so far I
deleted only the requests with no introduction. I still have to act on
those with *only* an introduction and nothing else (not even an email
after they got a "welcome" message on the list as reply to the
introduction).

I didn't send any introduction letters, i just spent an evening
animating splash with my curly hands and sub-zero (not to be confused
with "cool") gimp skillz, and second revision of it now welcomes kde4
users in sulphur, right after kdm theme, i've hacked up a bit later
with help of Martin. Contributing to fedora is easy, joining IRC to
show off some drafts or concepts and receive critics is even easier.
I'm pretty sure people who really want to contribute can do it without
loudmouth letters, bringing some artwork instead.

Yup, and that worked great for you.
Some other people may need a bit of hand-holding, so for they the talk
part may be useful. But at some point they should do some work, we are
not a social network.

With best regards to people who do more and talk less.

Even more when we have a lot of projects in need for contributors (like
the Echo theme development)

Old 06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Nicu Buculei

Frank Murphy wrote:

Currently am printing out the "inkscape manual" by Tavmjong Bah,
am getting there, but it's a slow road for me, I sleep a lot
(http://www.narcolepsy.org.uk/)

I hope what you are printing is the draft for the new version (0.16,
documenting Inkscape 0.46), as it shows a lot of new features:

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL_v14Draft/html/

Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Frank Murphy

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 12:38 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Frank Murphy wrote:
> >
> > Currently am printing out the "inkscape manual" by Tavmjong Bah,
> > am getting there, but it's a slow road for me, I sleep a lot
> > (http://www.narcolepsy.org.uk/)
>
> I hope what you are printing is the draft for the new version (0.16,
> documenting Inkscape 0.46), as it shows a lot of new features:
> http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL_v14Draft/html/

Not sure. gulp

Frank