Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Mihira Fernando

Default Intall etche on Windows Vista system with AMD64 processor

On Monday 09 June 2008 12:16:03 Ioannis Xydakis wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I am trying to install etche on a pc with an AMD64 processor that has
> already Windows Vista Premium (32bit) installed. I downloaded the ISO image
> of CD1 from Debian web site and wrote it to a CD as bootable.
How exactly did you burn the CD ? what were the steps you took ?

> After i restart the pc an try to install it, it drops me to a DOS prompt
> and to disk A:..!! I don't have any floppy disk on my pc. My questions
> are: Can i install Debian AMD64 with Windows Vista? If yes...how, or what i
> do wrong?
I suspect you botched the CD burning process. Had it been done properly, the
CD will launch the Debain Installer after it boots from the CD.

Mihira.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Ioannis Xydakis

I burned the ISO image and checked the CD to be bootable...did i do something wrong? Can it be that the problem is the burning software (i use NTI)?
Thank you again for your answer.
Regards,
Yannis

Old 06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Mihira Fernando

On Monday 09 June 2008 15:38:43 Ioannis Xydakis wrote:
> I burned the ISO image and checked the CD to be bootable...did i do
> something wrong? Can it be that the problem is the burning software (i use
> NTI)? Thank you again for your answer.
> Regards,
> Yannis

I beleive you messed it up by trying to make the CD bootable. If you burned
the ISO to the CD, you dont have to manually set it to be bootable as the CD
you get is already set to be bootable by the image.

What is NTI ? if that software has the option to create a CD from a given ISO
file, read up on how to do that.

If not, here's a free CD/DVD burning software that can correctly create CDs
from ISO images.

http://www.deepburner.com/download/DeepBurner1.exe

Its only 2 or 3 clicks with that one to create a CD using an ISO file.

Mihira.

PS. Please send replies only to the list.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Kent West

Ioannis Xydakis wrote:
I am trying to install etche on a pc with an AMD64 processor that has already Windows Vista Premium (32bit) installed. I downloaded the ISO image of CD1 from Debian web site and wrote it to a CD as bootable.

After i restart the pc an try to install it, it drops me to a DOS prompt and to disk A:..!! I don't have any floppy disk on my pc. My questions are: Can i install Debian AMD64 with Windows Vista? If yes...how, or what i do wrong?

That's really odd, and I cannot explain it.

I think what I'd try is to boot into Vista and then browse to
http://goodbye-microsoft.com and install Debian from there. This takes
the CD out of the equation altogether.

--
Kent West

Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 PM
"Koh Choon Lin"

I think what I'd try is to boot into Vista and then browse to http://goodbye-microsoft.com and install Debian from there. This takes the CD out of the equation altogether.

Is the web site an official Debian site?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Kent West

Koh Choon Lin wrote:

I think what I'd try is to boot into Vista and then browse to
http://goodbye-microsoft.com and install Debian from there. This
takes the CD out of the equation altogether.

Is the web site an official Debian site?

From the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win32-loader_%28Debian%29)
linked from the "More details about it" link:

*

*win32-loader* is a component of the Debian-Installer
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian-Installer> that runs on Windows
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows> and has the ability
to load the actual installer either from the network (as in the
version used in goodbye-microsoft.com <http://goodbye-microsoft.com/>)
or from CD-ROM <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM> media (as in the
version included in lenny
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Releases> CD images).

win32-loader was born as an independent project, for which only the
network version was available. Later the code would go through a long
review and polishing process to become part of the official Debian
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian> distribution.

*
It is my understanding that the site itself is not an official Debian
site, but I've used this site two or three times; it merely loads a
minimal boot-loader that then goes and grabs the installation files from
official Debian sites to begin the actual installation. I suppose
there's some risk that the boot-loader might be compromised, but the
site's been up for at least a year, and I've never heard any negatives
about it; I suspect that if it were a problem site, there would have
been plenty of notice on the Debian boards. In addition, Debian Weekly
News (http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2007/02/) mentions:

*Debian-Installer Loader.* Robert Millan announced
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2007/01/msg01083.html> the
availability of a Debian-Installer Loader for win32. The program,
inspired by Ubuntu's similar project
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe>, features 64-bit CPU
auto-detection, download of kernel and initrd netboot images, and
chain-loading into Debian-Installer via grub4dos
<http://grub4dos.sf.net/>. Graphical installations are supported
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2007/01/msg01092.html> as well.
The frontend site goodbye-microsoft.com
<http://goodbye-microsoft.com/> has been setup for advocacy purposes.

--
Kent West

Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Ioannis Xydakis escreveu:

I burned the ISO image and checked the CD to be bootable...did i do something wrong? Can it be that the problem is the burning software (i use NTI)?
Thank you again for your answer.

My guess is that you burned the ISO file to the CD-ROM. If you put the
CD-ROM in the drive and only see that, then that's what happened.

What you have to do is use the "Record ISO Image" or a similar option.
The popular Nero software can do that, but that's not the first option
displayed. I believe it is called only "Burn Image".