-   -   moon-lander 1:1.0-3 goes zombie (debian etch) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/103151-moon-lander-1-1-0-3-goes-zombie-debian-etch.html)

Brian Wells 06-09-2008 07:22 AM

moon-lander 1:1.0-3 goes zombie (debian etch)

Installed the moon-lander 1:1.0-3 package (and its dependency package,
moon-lander-data, same version) using aptitude, on debian etch. Every
time the game ship lands, I hear "Tranquility base here, the eagle..."
and then the program stops dead in its tracks. gdb shows the following
error message:

Couldn't load /usr/share/games/moon-lander/images/backgrounds/..:
Unsupported image format
[Thread -1218417744 (zombie) exited]

(I'm not familiar with using gdb, but was able to get that much.) Does
anyone know if there's a workaround, or if and how a bug report should
be filed? This is my first debian-user post.

- Brian Wells

And now for something completely off-topic:

I think your opinions are reasonable, except for the one about my mental
instability.
-- Psychology Professor, Farifield University

Andrew Sackville-West 06-09-2008 03:00 PM

moon-lander 1:1.0-3 goes zombie (debian etch)

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:22:56AM -0700, Brian Wells wrote:

Welcome Brian.

> Installed the moon-lander 1:1.0-3 package (and its dependency package,
> moon-lander-data, same version) using aptitude, on debian etch. Every
> time the game ship lands, I hear "Tranquility base here, the eagle..."
> and then the program stops dead in its tracks. gdb shows the following
> error message:
>
> Couldn't load /usr/share/games/moon-lander/images/backgrounds/..:
> Unsupported image format
> [Thread -1218417744 (zombie) exited]

Have you looked in that directory just to check out what's there?
Assuming that all looks good, I would first try a re-install of
moon-lander:

aptitude reinstall moon-lander

> (I'm not familiar with using gdb, but was able to get that much.) Does
> anyone know if there's a workaround, or if and how a bug report should
> be filed? This is my first debian-user post.

If the problem persists, the yes, you should file a bug report using
the `reportbug` tool.

Brian Wells 06-09-2008 07:24 PM

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 08:00 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> Welcome Brian.
Thank you.

> > Couldn't load /usr/share/games/moon-lander/images/backgrounds/..:
> > Unsupported image format
> > [Thread -1218417744 (zombie) exited]
>
> Have you looked in that directory just to check out what's there?

I just did; there are image files there, but moon-lander appears to be
trying to load the directory itself as though it were an image.

> Assuming that all looks good, I would first try a re-install of
> moon-lander:
>
> aptitude reinstall moon-lander

Just tried that too, no change.

> If the problem persists, the yes, you should file a bug report using
> the `reportbug` tool.

OK, I just tried that, but I haven't gotten a copy sent by e-mail yet.
How does reportbug send e-mail anyway? I don't think my debian system is
setup to send e-mail without using the evolution graphical client. How
do I configure debian so that it can send e-mail automatically?

- Brian Wells

And now for something completely off-topic:

Apply only to affected area.