Old 06-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default cdebootstrap error: can't install system

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 02:08:36PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> I'm trying to create a Sid chroot system, and cdebootstrap downloads
> many things, but it displays an error message at the end.
>
> First I see this message:
> I: Can't find package libtasn1-2-bin for exclusion

looks like libtasn1-2 went out with sarge. And does it actually say
"exclusion"?

how up to date is your install of cdebootstrap? YOu could grep through
the cdebootstrap configs and see if you could replace the refernces to
libtasn1-2* with libtasn1-3*.

hth

Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 PM
"Mumia W.."

I'm trying to create a Sid chroot system, and cdebootstrap downloads
many things, but it displays an error message at the end.

First I see this message:
I: Can't find package libtasn1-2-bin for exclusion

looks like libtasn1-2 went out with sarge. And does it actually say
"exclusion"?

how up to date is your install of cdebootstrap? YOu could grep through
the cdebootstrap configs and see if you could replace the refernces to
libtasn1-2* with libtasn1-3*.

hth

I'm using cdebootstrap 0.3.15. My O/S is Etch. Yes it actually says
"exclusion".

libtasn1-[23] do appear in /usr/share/cdebootstrap/sid/packages:

--------------------------------------
Comment: $LastChangedBy: bastian $
Comment: $LastChangedDate: 2006-08-24 19:03:46 +0000 (Do, 24 Aug 2006) $
Comment: $LastChangedRevision: 1236 $

Section: base
Arch: any
Packages: apt, apt-utils

Section: build
Packages:
build-essential
fakeroot

Section: standard
Arch: any
Packages:
priority-required
priority-important
-libtasn1-2-bin
-libtasn1-3-bin

Old 06-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:53:05PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 06/08/2008 02:51 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 02:08:36PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
>>> I'm trying to create a Sid chroot system, and cdebootstrap downloads
>>> many things, but it displays an error message at the end.
>>>
>>> First I see this message:
>>> I: Can't find package libtasn1-2-bin for exclusion
>>
>> looks like libtasn1-2 went out with sarge. And does it actually say
>> "exclusion"?
>>
>> how up to date is your install of cdebootstrap? YOu could grep through
>> the cdebootstrap configs and see if you could replace the refernces to
>> libtasn1-2* with libtasn1-3*.
>>
>> hth

> I'm using cdebootstrap 0.3.15. My O/S is Etch. Yes it actually says
> "exclusion".
>
> libtasn1-[23] do appear in /usr/share/cdebootstrap/sid/packages:
>
> --------------------------------------
> Comment: $LastChangedBy: bastian $
> Comment: $LastChangedDate: 2006-08-24 19:03:46 +0000 (Do, 24 Aug 2006) $
> Comment: $LastChangedRevision: 1236 $
>
> Section: base
> Arch: any
> Packages: apt, apt-utils
>
> Section: build
> Packages:
> build-essential
> fakeroot
>
> Section: standard
> Arch: any
> Packages:
> priority-required
> priority-important
> -libtasn1-2-bin
> -libtasn1-3-bin
> ---------------------end-------------------
>
> I don't know how to interpret that however.

since that file hasn't been updated since 2006, I'd say a bug report
is in order.

As I read it, it wants all priority-required and priority-important
packages except libtasn1-2-bin and libtasn1-3-bin. *I* would just
remove the libtasn1-2-bin line and see what happens.

I would also file a bug report as cdebootstrap shouldn't fail when
you exclude a package that doesn't exist, IMO.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:46 AM
"Mumia W.."

I don't know how to interpret that however.

since that file hasn't been updated since 2006, I'd say a bug report
is in order.

As I read it, it wants all priority-required and priority-important
packages except libtasn1-2-bin and libtasn1-3-bin. *I* would just
remove the libtasn1-2-bin line and see what happens.

I would also file a bug report as cdebootstrap shouldn't fail when
you exclude a package that doesn't exist, IMO.

I think I'll do that. Thanks.

However, I don't think that's the core problem because I removed
"-libtasn1-[23]-bin" from the packages file, and the problem still
occurs. Here is the output:

# ~/bin/cdeboot.sh
+ cdebootstrap sid /mnt/hdisk/sid-root http://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/
P: Retrieving Release.gpg
P: Retrieving Release
P: Parsing Release
P: Retrieving Release
P: Validating Packages.gz
P: Parsing Packages
P: Validating gcc-4.3-base
P: Validating libgcc1
P: Validating libc6
P: Validating perl-base
P: Validating debianutils
P: Validating libdb4.6
P: Validating liblocale-gettext-perl
P: Validating libtext-iconv-perl
P: Validating libtext-charwidth-perl
P: Validating libtext-wrapi18n-perl
P: Validating debconf-i18n
P: Validating debconf
P: Validating libpam-runtime
P: Validating libpam0g
P: Validating libselinux1
P: Validating libpam-modules
P: Validating passwd
P: Validating adduser
P: Validating libstdc++6
P: Validating libbz2-1.0
P: Validating readline-common
P: Validating libncurses5
P: Validating libreadline5
P: Validating libusb-0.1-4
P: Validating zlib1g
P: Validating gpgv
P: Validating gnupg
P: Validating debian-archive-keyring
P: Validating apt
P: Validating libdb4.4
P: Validating apt-utils
P: Validating libncursesw5
P: Validating libsigc++-2.0-0c2a
P: Validating libcwidget3
P: Validating libxapian15
P: Validating libept0
P: Validating aptitude
P: Validating mawk
P: Validating base-passwd
P: Validating base-files
P: Validating bash
P: Validating bsdutils
P: Validating bsdmainutils
P: Validating libattr1
P: Validating libacl1
P: Validating coreutils
P: Validating cpio
P: Validating sed
P: Validating ncurses-bin
P: Validating lsb-base
P: Validating cron
P: Validating dhcp3-common
P: Validating dhcp3-client
P: Validating diff
P: Validating dmidecode
P: Validating dpkg
P: Validating e2fslibs
P: Validating libdevmapper1.02.1
P: Validating libblkid1
P: Validating libcomerr2
P: Validating libss2
P: Validating libuuid1
P: Validating e2fsprogs
P: Validating ed
P: Validating nano
P: Validating findutils
P: Validating gcc-4.2-base
P: Validating grep
P: Validating groff-base
P: Validating gzip
P: Validating hostname
P: Validating net-tools
P: Validating ifupdown
P: Validating info
P: Validating mount
P: Validating libsepol1
P: Validating sysvinit-utils
P: Validating initscripts
P: Validating iptables
P: Validating iputils-ping
P: Validating sysklogd
P: Validating klogd
P: Validating libconsole
P: Validating libgpg-error0
P: Validating libgcrypt11
P: Validating libgdbm3
P: Validating liblzo2-2
P: Validating libopencdk10
P: Validating libtasn1-3
P: Validating libgnutls13
P: Validating libgnutls26
P: Validating libslang2
P: Validating libnewt0.52
P: Validating libpopt0
P: Validating libsasl2-2
P: Validating libssl0.9.8
P: Validating libwrap0
P: Validating login
P: Validating logrotate
P: Validating makedev
P: Validating man-db
P: Validating manpages
P: Validating mktemp
P: Validating module-init-tools
P: Validating ncurses-base
P: Validating netbase
P: Validating netcat-traditional
P: Validating procps
P: Validating tzdata
P: Validating util-linux
P: Validating sysv-rc
P: Validating sysvinit
P: Validating tar
P: Validating tasksel-data
P: Validating tasksel
P: Validating tcpd
P: Validating traceroute
P: Validating update-inetd
P: Validating vim-common
P: Validating vim-tiny
P: Validating wget
P: Validating whiptail
P: Extracting gcc-4.3-base
P: Extracting libc6
P: Extracting libgcc1
P: Extracting perl-base
P: Extracting debianutils
P: Extracting libdb4.6
P: Extracting liblocale-gettext-perl
P: Extracting libtext-iconv-perl
P: Extracting libtext-charwidth-perl
P: Extracting libtext-wrapi18n-perl
P: Extracting debconf
P: Extracting debconf-i18n
P: Extracting libpam-runtime
P: Extracting libpam0g
P: Extracting libselinux1
P: Extracting libpam-modules
P: Extracting passwd
P: Extracting libstdc++6
P: Extracting libncurses5
P: Extracting zlib1g
P: Extracting mawk
P: Extracting base-passwd
P: Extracting base-files
P: Extracting bash
P: Extracting bsdutils
P: Extracting libattr1
P: Extracting libacl1
P: Extracting coreutils
P: Extracting sed
P: Extracting ncurses-bin
P: Extracting lsb-base
P: Extracting diff
P: Extracting dpkg
P: Extracting e2fslibs
P: Extracting libdevmapper1.02.1
P: Extracting libblkid1
P: Extracting libcomerr2
P: Extracting libss2
P: Extracting libuuid1
P: Extracting e2fsprogs
P: Extracting findutils
P: Extracting gcc-4.2-base
P: Extracting grep
P: Extracting gzip
P: Extracting hostname
P: Extracting mount
P: Extracting libsepol1
P: Extracting sysvinit-utils
P: Extracting initscripts
P: Extracting libslang2
P: Extracting login
P: Extracting makedev
P: Extracting mktemp
P: Extracting ncurses-base
P: Extracting procps
P: Extracting tzdata
P: Extracting util-linux
P: Extracting sysv-rc
P: Extracting sysvinit
P: Extracting tar
P: Unpacking package base-passwd
P: Configuring package base-passwd
P: Configuring helper cdebootstrap-helper-diverts
P: Configuring helper cdebootstrap-helper-makedev
P: Unpacking package dpkg
P: Configuring package dpkg
P: Unpacking package gcc-4.3-base
P: Unpacking package libc6
P: Unpacking package libgcc1
P: Unpacking package perl-base
P: Unpacking package debianutils
P: Unpacking package libdb4.6
P: Unpacking package liblocale-gettext-perl
P: Unpacking package libtext-iconv-perl
P: Unpacking package libtext-charwidth-perl
P: Unpacking package libtext-wrapi18n-perl
P: Unpacking package debconf
P: Unpacking package debconf-i18n
P: Unpacking package libpam-runtime
P: Unpacking package libpam0g
P: Unpacking package libselinux1
P: Unpacking package libpam-modules
P: Unpacking package passwd
P: Unpacking package libstdc++6
P: Unpacking package libncurses5
P: Unpacking package zlib1g
P: Unpacking package mawk
P: Unpacking package base-files
P: Unpacking package bash
P: Unpacking package bsdutils
P: Unpacking package libattr1
P: Unpacking package libacl1
P: Unpacking package coreutils
P: Unpacking package sed
P: Unpacking package ncurses-bin
P: Unpacking package lsb-base
P: Unpacking package diff
P: Unpacking package e2fslibs
P: Unpacking package libdevmapper1.02.1
P: Unpacking package libblkid1
P: Unpacking package libcomerr2
P: Unpacking package libss2
P: Unpacking package libuuid1
P: Unpacking package e2fsprogs
P: Unpacking package findutils
P: Unpacking package gcc-4.2-base
P: Unpacking package grep
P: Unpacking package gzip
P: Unpacking package hostname
P: Unpacking package mount
P: Unpacking package libsepol1
P: Unpacking package sysvinit-utils
P: Unpacking package initscripts
P: Unpacking package libslang2
P: Unpacking package login
P: Unpacking package makedev
P: Unpacking package mktemp
P: Unpacking package ncurses-base
P: Unpacking package procps
P: Unpacking package tzdata
P: Unpacking package util-linux
P: Unpacking package sysv-rc
P: Unpacking package sysvinit
P: Unpacking package tar
P: Configuring package makedev
P: Configuring package sysv-rc
P: Configuring package gcc-4.2-base
P: Configuring package libpam-runtime
P: Configuring package gcc-4.3-base
P: Configuring package libc6
P: Configuring package mktemp
P: Configuring package debianutils
P: Configuring package bsdutils
P: Configuring package perl-base
P: Configuring package libsepol1
P: Configuring package tar
P: Configuring package zlib1g
P: Configuring package libgcc1
P: Configuring package libtext-iconv-perl
P: Configuring package libncurses5
P: Configuring package libattr1
P: Configuring package sed
P: Configuring package e2fslibs
P: Configuring package libcomerr2
P: Configuring package mawk
P: Configuring package libdb4.6
P: Configuring package grep
P: Configuring package hostname
P: Configuring package libacl1
P: Configuring package libslang2
P: Configuring package libss2
P: Configuring package findutils
P: Configuring package gzip
P: Configuring package liblocale-gettext-perl
P: Configuring package diff
P: Configuring package libselinux1
P: Configuring package libstdc++6
P: Configuring package libtext-charwidth-perl
P: Configuring package libtext-wrapi18n-perl
P: Configuring package coreutils
P: Configuring package ncurses-base
P: Configuring package ncurses-bin
P: Configuring package base-files
P: Configuring package libdevmapper1.02.1
P: Configuring package debconf-i18n
P: Configuring package libblkid1
P: Configuring package sysvinit-utils
P: Configuring package bash
P: Configuring package debconf
P: Configuring package lsb-base
P: Configuring package procps
P: Configuring package libpam0g
P: Configuring package libpam-modules
P: Configuring package tzdata
P: Configuring package passwd
P: Configuring package login
P: Configuring package libuuid1
P: Configuring package mount
P: Configuring package e2fsprogs
P: Configuring package util-linux
P: Configuring package initscripts
P: Configuring package sysvinit
P: Unpacking package libbz2-1.0
P: Unpacking package readline-common
P: Unpacking package libreadline5
P: Unpacking package libusb-0.1-4
P: Unpacking package gpgv
P: Unpacking package gnupg
P: Unpacking package debian-archive-keyring
P: Unpacking package apt
P: Configuring package libbz2-1.0
P: Configuring package readline-common
P: Configuring package libreadline5
P: Configuring package libusb-0.1-4
P: Configuring package gpgv
P: Configuring package gnupg
P: Configuring package debian-archive-keyring
P: Configuring package apt
P: Configuring helper cdebootstrap-helper-apt
E: Couldn't install system due to errors!
-----------------end-----------------

I can't see anything that looks like an error message (before the last
line).

What's going on?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 09:46:26PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 06/08/2008 07:32 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:53:05PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> priority-important
>>> -libtasn1-2-bin
>>> -libtasn1-3-bin
>>> ---------------------end-------------------
>>>
>>> I don't know how to interpret that however.
>>
>> since that file hasn't been updated since 2006, I'd say a bug report
>> is in order.
>>
>> As I read it, it wants all priority-required and priority-important
>> packages except libtasn1-2-bin and libtasn1-3-bin. *I* would just
>> remove the libtasn1-2-bin line and see what happens.
>>
>> I would also file a bug report as cdebootstrap shouldn't fail when
>> you exclude a package that doesn't exist, IMO.

> I think I'll do that. Thanks.
>
> However, I don't think that's the core problem because I removed
> "-libtasn1-[23]-bin" from the packages file, and the problem still
> occurs. Here is the output:

a couple of things. 1) only remove the -libtasn1-2-bin line as the
other package exists. 2) I don't have cdebootstrap installed, but I do
have debootstrap. It mentions that trying to install sid from stable
won't work do to changes in the system. I would suspect the same is
true of cdebootstrap. You could install etch with it and then migrate
that etch install, or you could pull in the sid version of
cdebootstrap and try that.

> # ~/bin/cdeboot.sh
> + cdebootstrap sid /mnt/hdisk/sid-root http://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/
> P: Retrieving Release.gpg
> P: Configuring package libusb-0.1-4
> P: Configuring package gpgv
> P: Configuring package gnupg
> P: Configuring package debian-archive-keyring
> P: Configuring package apt
> P: Configuring helper cdebootstrap-helper-apt
> E: Couldn't install system due to errors!
> -----------------end-----------------
>
> I can't see anything that looks like an error message (before the last
> line).

in the world of unhelpful herror messages, that really takes the cake.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM
"Mumia W.."

a couple of things. 1) only remove the -libtasn1-2-bin line as the
other package exists. 2) I don't have cdebootstrap installed, but I do
have debootstrap. It mentions that trying to install sid from stable
won't work do to changes in the system. I would suspect the same is
true of cdebootstrap. You could install etch with it and then migrate
that etch install, or you could pull in the sid version of
cdebootstrap and try that.
[...]

That's a good idea. Thanks, I'll try that.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:21:11AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > # ~/bin/cdeboot.sh
> > + cdebootstrap sid /mnt/hdisk/sid-root http://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/
> > P: Retrieving Release.gpg
> > P: Configuring package libusb-0.1-4
> > P: Configuring package gpgv
> > P: Configuring package gnupg
> > P: Configuring package debian-archive-keyring
> > P: Configuring package apt
> > P: Configuring helper cdebootstrap-helper-apt
> > E: Couldn't install system due to errors!
> >
> > I can't see anything that looks like an error message (before the last
> > line).
>
> in the world of unhelpful herror messages, that really takes the cake.

Deserves a bug report at least. Is there a verbose option?
Since it is only a shell script, maybe a bit of sprinkling with echo -n
might shed a bit more light.

--
Chris.
======