Old 06-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Marc Shapiro

Default Printing from a wireless laptop on LAN

I am running Debian Etch on my desktop machine connected to a Verizon
FIOS router, which includes wireless. My wife has an ASUS EEE PC which
connects flawlessly to the wireless router. Our printer is connected to
the desktop which is running CUPS. CUPS also runs on the EEE. How do I
get the EEE to recognize the printed on the desktop?

I have set the server settings on the desktop to "Share published
printers connected to this system".

I restarted cupsd after making this change.
I have verified that the printers that I want the EEE to access are
published, according to CUPS.

The EEE, as I said, is also running CUPS and the default settings are to
"Show printers shared by other systems" so it seems to me that it should
find the printer from the desktop, but it doesn't.

According to the tutorial at
www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/110/228/ this should be all that I
need.

What am I missing?

On the desktop, /etc/cups/cupsd.conf contains:

# Show general information in error_log.
LogLevel info
SystemGroup lpadmin
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
# Allow shared printing...
Order allow,deny
Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
Encryption Required
# Restrict access to the admin pages...
Order allow,deny
Allow localhost
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
AuthType Basic
Require user @SYSTEM
# Restrict access to the configuration files...
Order allow,deny
Allow localhost
</Location>
<Policy default>
<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>

Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer
Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job
Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class
CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>

AuthType Basic
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
# Only the owner or an administrator can cancel a job...
<Limit Cancel-Job>
Order deny,allow
Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
</Limit>
<Limit All>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
</Policy>
Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 06-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sun June 8 2008, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I have set the server settings on the desktop to "Share published
> printers connected to this system".
> I restarted cupsd after making this change.
> I have verified that the printers that I want the EEE to access are
> published, according to CUPS.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing.html#sharing_with_windows
http://www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/110/197/

between those 2 I got my Vista laptop printing from 2 printers attached to my
Debian Lenny system ..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800