Old 06-08-2008, 05:31 PM
"Francesco Pietra"

Default Fw: wine problems?

Frustrated by lack of functionality of installed package wine since I
upgraded to i386 lenny, I purged removed all specific packages of wine
and reinstalled, also my database application. Still hanging while
commanding 'search'. Then I planned a more drastink purging.
I first commanded
apt-get --purge remove wine

Then I explored what will happen from command

apt-get --purge remove wine*

The output screen from this command is shown below. Clearly I did not
continue as it will remove gnome parts, in particular gnome-session,
which is what I use after startx. Any suggestion?
Thanks
francesco pietra

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Note, selecting libwine-capi for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing-data for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing3-data instead of libchewing-data
Note, selecting libswing-layout-java for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting matchbox-window-manager for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-alsa for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting windows-el for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting plplot9-driver-xwin for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libmono-winforms1.0-cil for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing3-data for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting wxwin-i18n for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting xwatchwin for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-twain for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting fte-xwindow for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin-style-comix for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting xwininfo for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting wings3d for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting x-window-system-core for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin-decor-baghira for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting avifile-win32-plugin for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting freepwing for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting x-window-system for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting cpio-win32 for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing-dev for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting scim-chewing for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting windowlab for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing2-dev for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin-style-suse2 for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting winkeydaemon for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libconfigwin-ocaml-dev for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libcameleon-ocaml-dev instead of libconfigwin-ocaml-dev
Note, selecting wine-utils for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing3 instead of libchewing
Note, selecting kwin-style-knifty for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting not+darwin for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting type-handling instead of not+darwin
Note, selecting wininfo for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting worldwind for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-jack for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting hwinfo for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting grubutil-win32 for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing3 for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting wxwin2.4-headers for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin-style-crystal for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libmono-winforms2.0-cil for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting x-window-manager for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing3-dev for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin4 for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin-style-baghira for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-ldap for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting wine-bin for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting avant-window-navigator for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting wine-doc for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-gphoto2 for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting avant-window-navigator-data for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting twinkle for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting gzip-win32 for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting not+bsd-darwin for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting type-handling instead of not+bsd-darwin
Note, selecting libwings-dev for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting wine for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting wing for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting wink for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-print for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin-style-dekorator for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting openwince-jtag for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libgnome-window-settings1 for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kdeartwork-theme-window for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-dbg for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-dev for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-cms for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-gl for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting worldwind-doc for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-esd for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libgnome-window-settings-dev for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting wing-data for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libworldwind-java for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin-style-powder for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libswingx-java for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-nas for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting winbind for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-oss for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting winpdb for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libswing-layout-java-doc for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting openwince-include for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libchewing1-dev for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting libwine-sane for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin-baghira for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting win32-loader for regex 'wine*'
Note, selecting kwin-style-serenity for regex 'wine*'
x11-apps x11-session-utils x11-utils x11-xfs-utils x11-xkb-utils
x11-xserver-utils xauth xinit xorg
Suggested packages:
mesa-utils pdksh
The following packages will be REMOVED:
alacarte* fast-user-switch-applet* gnome-applets* gnome-control-center*
gnome-core* gnome-desktop-environment* gnome-panel* gnome-session*
libgnome-window-settings1* libwine* libwine-alsa* libwine-cms* libwine-esd*
libwine-gl* libwine-gphoto2* libwine-jack* libwine-ldap* libwine-nas*
libwine-oss* libwine-print* libwine-sane* nautilus* nautilus-cd-burner*
type-handling* wine-bin* wine-utils*
x11-apps x11-session-utils x11-utils x11-xfs-utils x11-xkb-utils
x11-xserver-utils xauth xinit
xorg
1 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 26 to remove and 129 not upgraded.
Need to get 1269kB of archives.
After this operation, 75.3MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

of course

--
Dr Francesco Pietra
Professor of Chemistry

Old 06-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:31:06 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Frustrated by lack of functionality of installed package wine since I
> upgraded to i386 lenny, I purged removed all specific packages of wine
> and reinstalled, also my database application. Still hanging while
> commanding 'search'. Then I planned a more drastink purging.
> I first commanded
> apt-get --purge remove wine
>
> Then I explored what will happen from command
>
> apt-get --purge remove wine*
>
> The output screen from this command is shown below. Clearly I did not
> continue as it will remove gnome parts, in particular gnome-session,
> which is what I use after startx. Any suggestion?
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> Note, selecting libwine-capi for regex 'wine*'
> Note, selecting libchewing-data for regex 'wine*'
> Note, selecting libchewing3-data instead of libchewing-data
> Note, selecting libswing-layout-java for regex 'wine*'

[...]

For apt-get the regular expression 'wine*' will match any package whose
name contains the string "win". You are mixing up shell globbing
patterns and regular expressions; see "man 7 regex" for the correct
regex syntax. (Moreover, things can get really messy if you have any
files in the current directory whose names start with "wine"; see the
section "Pathname Expansion" in the manpage of bash.)

Try

apt-get -s --purge remove 'wine.*'

and if this shows the right output then you can run the same command
without the "-s" to actually remove and purge these packages.

(Note: I have no idea if puring and reinstalling all those wine packages
will solve your original problem.)

Florian |

Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 PM
"Francesco Pietra"

Thanks. I followed the right recipe and the carried out a fresh
install of wine. Everything shows a correct installation, like

dpkg --status wine

The windows application (a database) installs, though it fails to
work. Like before.

I have already abandoned the windows application chemsk50 as chem
drawing package as there is now gchampaint. Hope to find a linux
alternative to the free-form database.

francesco

Old 06-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:46:40PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Thanks. I followed the right recipe and the carried out a fresh
> install of wine. Everything shows a correct installation, like
>
> dpkg --status wine
>
> The windows application (a database) installs, though it fails to
> work. Like before.
>
> I have already abandoned the windows application chemsk50 as chem
> drawing package as there is now gchampaint. Hope to find a linux
> alternative to the free-form database.

There is no entry in http://appdb.winehq.org/ for chemsk50
Has it ever worked?

--