Old 06-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Marty

Default SOLVED Gnome URL icon associations

Marty wrote:
In my debian Etch system, the default browser is iceape, the link
/etc/x-www-browser points to /usr/bin/iceape, and mozilla is the selected
default browser using the gnome Desktop->Preferences->Preferred Applications
applet. I am not familiar with gconf configuration.

Regardless of the default browser settings, desktop icon URLs opened my mouse
click on the desltop, or opened within nautilus appear in konqueror. When
konqueror is uninstalled, the desktop URL icons are opened by gedit instead.
Default browser selection works normally, however, for URL icons placed in a panel.

In addition to finding a fix, I am curious about why the system defaults to
either konqueror or gedit, and the relevant configuration files and settings.
Thanks for any help.

I fixed the problem by adding the following lines to
~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list:

application/xhtml+xml=iceape.desktop
text/html=iceape.desktop
text/xml=iceape.desktop

This was needed is because the default browser is epiphany in the gconf global
defaults.listfile. A more permanent solution may be changing the global
defaults, applying them to new users as well, but still I don't know how to
safely do that.

Since the last posting, in addition to the previous failed attempts, I also
tried changing the default gnome browser and URL handlers settings using
gconf-editor, which failed, and forcing the KDE MIME setting in kcontrol, which
worked around the problem but disabled normal MIME handling. I don't know why
it should matter at all in Gnome, but at least in explains why Konqueror was
starting.

In seeking the fix I found at least four separate and differently working
mechanisms related to MIME or file association in debian, not including their
local and global versions. Although I have a fix for the immediate problem, I
still don't know why there are so many ways in Debian to perform a similar
function, how they overlap and differ, where they are all documented, or even
which package(s) on which to file a bug or wishlist report.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Chuck Rhode

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:00:20 +0200, Marty wrote:

> Although I have a fix for the immediate problem, I still don't know
> why there are so many ways in Debian to perform a similar function,
> how they overlap and differ, where they are all documented, or even
> which package(s) on which to file a bug or wishlist report.

I have no clue here either, but here is a *python* script (long) that
I use to set things up:

o http://lacusveris.com/vital_linux_tweaks/vital_change_browser.python

--
... Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA