FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 PM
"Steve King"
 
Default Multiple files MV'd into one

Hi all,

Got a bit of an issue with one of my system users. They have
accidentally moved multiple files from 1 directory, into a single file
in another.

As a result I now have to try and fetch these files out of the larger
file and give them back to the user.

Any advice or suggestions on how to fetch them out? I was thinking of
using something to find the EOF's within the larger file and then
splitting at that byte point, but I don't want to further screw the
situation up.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"
 
Default Multiple files MV'd into one

On 08/06/2008, Steve King <steve.king@mgsk.com.au> wrote:
> Got a bit of an issue with one of my system users. They have
> accidentally moved multiple files from 1 directory, into a single file
> in another.

Can we have more details on how this happened? mv won't let you move
many files into one; if there are many operands to move, the last one
must be a directory. Were all the files catted into a larger one?

> Any advice or suggestions on how to fetch them out? I was thinking of
> using something to find the EOF's within the larger file and then
> splitting at that byte point,

This won't work unless the big file is in some weird way; catting a
bunch of files into a big one doesn't introduce EOFs at each cat
point.

- Jordi G. H.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-09-2008, 03:17 AM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"
 
Default Multiple files MV'd into one

Hi, Steve. I don't think you mean to reply to me only, so I'm moving
the discussion back to the list.

On 08/06/2008, Steve King <steve.king@mgsk.com.au> wrote:
> 2008/6/9 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com>:
>
> > On 08/06/2008, Steve King <steve.king@mgsk.com.au> wrote:
> >> Got a bit of an issue with one of my system users. They have
> >> accidentally moved multiple files from 1 directory, into a single file
> >> in another.
> >
> > Can we have more details on how this happened?
>
> I'm not sure exactly how it happened to be honest,

Ok, what's more important is to know what the final product looks
like. That was more my question.

> basically, there were a group of files in one directory, with a very
> simular name: ie, company_department_date-filename.ext
>
> As far as I can understand, (and I'm still trying to find the bash
> history that proves it) the user issued a command simular to the
> following:
>
> mv * /new/path/location
>
> However, for some reason completely unknown to me, it has created a
> large file called:
>
> company_department_.ext

Okay, so is this as if they had done "cat * > company_department_.ext"?

> Which I'm assuming means they have incorrectly specified the
> destination in the new path location of the mv?

Maybe it was a misplaced tar? Maybe they were trying to use tar to
copy files and instead tarred it all into one? Does "file
company_department_.ext" tell you it's a tarred file?

- Jordi G. H.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 AM
"Steve King"
 
Default Multiple files MV'd into one

Thanks Jordi,

It actually reads like a normal file (ie, from the app we can play the
file in a video player - as these are video files) - and upon further
investigation it looks like it could be the client used to read the
file system that is reporting the problem - not the filesystem itself!

In my terminal now, when I run an ls, I see all the files as separate
files, however on our app, we see them as one file. Which means that
this proves that they could not / did not concatenate all the files
together! Huzzah! It is the apps fault! So I will forward this to app
support instead.

Thanks for helping thou guys!

Regards,
Steve.


2008/6/9 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com>:
> Hi, Steve. I don't think you mean to reply to me only, so I'm moving
> the discussion back to the list.
>
> On 08/06/2008, Steve King <steve.king@mgsk.com.au> wrote:
>> 2008/6/9 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com>:
>>
>> > On 08/06/2008, Steve King <steve.king@mgsk.com.au> wrote:
>> >> Got a bit of an issue with one of my system users. They have
>> >> accidentally moved multiple files from 1 directory, into a single file
>> >> in another.
>> >
>> > Can we have more details on how this happened?
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly how it happened to be honest,
>
> Ok, what's more important is to know what the final product looks
> like. That was more my question.
>
>> basically, there were a group of files in one directory, with a very
>> simular name: ie, company_department_date-filename.ext
>>
>> As far as I can understand, (and I'm still trying to find the bash
>> history that proves it) the user issued a command simular to the
>> following:
>>
>> mv * /new/path/location
>>
>> However, for some reason completely unknown to me, it has created a
>> large file called:
>>
>> company_department_.ext
>
> Okay, so is this as if they had done "cat * > company_department_.ext"?
>
>> Which I'm assuming means they have incorrectly specified the
>> destination in the new path location of the mv?
>
> Maybe it was a misplaced tar? Maybe they were trying to use tar to
> copy files and instead tarred it all into one? Does "file
> company_department_.ext" tell you it's a tarred file?
>
> - Jordi G. H.
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org