Old 06-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Ron Johnson

Default mkdir no longer works

Old 06-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 05:27:19PM -0700, Steve Mazurek wrote:
> I can no longer create directories with mkdir, neither as root from the
> command line nor from within the terminals in the xwindow graphics system.
> (I am using etchnhalf, linux image 2.6.22-4-686 on a Thinkpad T42) In
> either case, when I type mkdir directory-name or mkdir path directory-name
> and hit enter the output is always > on a new line. If I cd to the
> directory where I'm trying to make the new subdirectory I receive the same
> result. I've never had this happen before. I recently installed drivers
> and firmware for ipw2100, which is now working, and I used mkdir and mv
> while doing this. Any suggestions? Is there a bug involved? Thanks for
> any advice.

I bet you have an unescaped special character in your directory name,
hence the '>' prompting you to continue the command. please provide
the *exact* command you are issuing.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:13 AM
"Steve Mazurek"

Thank you for your replies.* I didn't try using aliases, but there was an unescaped special character, ' , in the directory name.* I omitted it and the* directory now exists and I can use it.* Again, thanks for the speedy replies.

> I can no longer create directories with mkdir, neither as root from the

> command line nor from within the terminals in the xwindow graphics

> system. (I am using etchnhalf, linux image 2.6.22-4-686 on a Thinkpad

> T42) *In either case, when I type mkdir directory-name or mkdir path

> directory-name and hit enter the output is always * > on a new line. *If

> I cd to the directory where I'm trying to make the new subdirectory I

> receive the same result. *I've never had this happen before. *I recently

> installed drivers and firmware for ipw2100, which is now working, and I

> used mkdir and mv while doing this. *Any suggestions? *Is there a bug

> involved? *Thanks for any advice.

That makes it appear to be some sort of shell script. *Did you alias it?

Try this:

$ alias

$ alias mkdir

$ which mkdir

- --

Ron Johnson, Jr.

Jefferson LA *USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. *In lighter news, the city of New New

York is doomed."