Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 PM
"s. keeling"

Default pgp import problem (was Problems with Gnome appearance.)

Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 02:17:47 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Sorry to jump in mid thread, but since this issue has popped up I
> > thought I'd mention a problem I've been having.
> >
> > $ gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 330C4A75
> > gpg: requesting key 330C4A75 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
> > gpgkeys: key 330C4A75 not found on keyserver
> > gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped
> > gpg: invalid radix64 character 3A skipped
> > gpg: invalid radix64 character 5F skipped
> > gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped
> > gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped
> > gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped
> > gpg: invalid radix64 character 3A skipped
> > gpg: invalid radix64 character 3B skipped
> > gpg: malformed CRC
> > gpg: read_block: read error: invalid keyring
> > gpg: Total number processed: 0
> > $
>
> How does your DNS server resolve subkeys.pgp.net? I see five different
> IP addresses, with preference given to either 213.239.206.174 or
> 64.71.173.107. Try if you still have this problem when you specify one
> of these IPs as the keyserver.

I was experiencing failures (server timeout) apparently due to this
DNS issue (my DNS is my ISP). I installed maradns locally, and the
problem disappeared.

Thanks for the hint.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:54 PM
"s. keeling"

Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:

> How does your DNS server resolve subkeys.pgp.net? I see five different

Follow up to my last fup; no, maradns isn't the solution, sorry.
Using the IPs works, DNS times out apparently.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
"s. keeling"

Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz>:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 03:23:04PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 02:17:47 +1200
> > Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> > > The weird thing is, it works for other people. Googling on the radix64
> >
> > Including me; I imported all three of the keys you mentioned without
> > problems. Sorry, but I don't know enough about GPG & the servers to
>
> Are you running etch?

I'm running etch. Using their IP finds all correctly. Hostname/DNS
fails.