Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Anyone use Linux to author DVDs?

Old 06-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Bob Cox

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:05:37 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> I'm using DVD Styler (from debian-multimedia.org) because it's
> simple, and I know nothing about authoring. The disks I *have* made
> work great from vlc, but not stand-alone players.
>
> Anyone have thoughts about what I'm doing wrong?

If it's any help, I create DVDs from recordings made using Kaffeine with
a DVB-T card. These are .m2t files. I run them through ProjectX to
demultiplex into separate video and audio files and then use mplex with
the -f 8 option re-multiplex and create a DVD compliant mpeg. (In
reality I use a bash script to do both these steps automatically and the
whole de/remux process is probably only necessary because of the DVB-T
source and its apparently inherent audio/video sync problems). If
editing is needed then Avidemux seems pretty good, saving the edited
file with the mpeg-ps option.

I use devede to create the fully DVD compliant .iso and save lots of
time by selecting the advanced option "This file is already a
DVD/xCD-suitable MPEG-PS file". The resultant DVDs play on normal
domestic standalone players.

HTH.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM
"David Fox"

Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 04:05:37PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> I'm using DVD Styler (from debian-multimedia.org) because it's
> simple, and I know nothing about authoring. The disks I *have* made
> work great from vlc, but not stand-alone players.
>
> Anyone have thoughts about what I'm doing wrong?

A certain grumpy editor might have some:
http://lwn.net/Articles/263387/

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend