FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Bill Wohler
 
Default ath5k anyone?

Hey folks,

Has anyone had any luck with the ath5k driver? I've installed
linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. My /etc/network/interfaces file says:

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet static
wireless_essid <ESSID>
wireless_key <KEY>
address <ADDRESS>
netmask <MASK>
gateway <GW>

When I say "ifup ath0", iwconfig reveals that ath0 is associated to my
AP, ifconfig looks right (as it should with a static config). dmesg
looks great too:

ath5k_pci 0000:02:02.0: registered as 'phy0'
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'pid'
ath5k phy0: Atheros AR5211 chip found (MAC: 0x42, PHY: 0x30)
ath5k phy0: RF5111 5GHz radio found (0x17)
ath5k phy0: RF2111 2GHz radio found (0x23)
udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to ath0
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): ath0: link is not ready
ath0: Initial auth_alg=0
ath0: authenticate with AP 02:1e:58:07:5d:f2
ath0: RX authentication from 02:1e:58:07:5d:f2 (alg=0 transaction=2 status=0)
ath0: authenticated
ath0: associate with AP 02:1e:58:07:5d:f2
ath0: RX AssocResp from 02:1e:58:07:5d:f2 (capab=0x11 status=0 aid=2)
ath0: associated
ath0: switched to short barker preamble (BSSID=02:1e:58:07:5d:f2)
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): ath0: link becomes ready
ath0: CTS protection enabled (BSSID=02:1e:58:07:5d:f2)
ath0: switched to long barker preamble (BSSID=02:1e:58:07:5d:f2)
ath0: no IPv6 routers present

However, I can't ping my access point.

Do I need some extra magic in /etc/network/interfaces?

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG ID:610BD9AD


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Jaime Tarrant
 
Default ath5k anyone?

* Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com) wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Has anyone had any luck with the ath5k driver? I've installed
> linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. My /etc/network/interfaces file says:
>
[snip]
>
> When I say "ifup ath0", iwconfig reveals that ath0 is associated to my
> AP, ifconfig looks right (as it should with a static config). dmesg
> looks great too:
>
[snip]
>
> However, I can't ping my access point.
>
> Do I need some extra magic in /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> --
> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG ID:610BD9AD
>
>

I had a hard time getting wireless working properly with atheros chipsets and
then found the following site, which has a link to a script that has worked
well for me on Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian laptops.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798485

I have not looked into what this script did differenly to what I was doing,
however it certainly worked well for me.

Only thing to consider is that you will probably have to re-run it each time
you do a kernel upgrade, as the script automates building the drivers from
the madwifi subversion repository against your running kernel.

HTH - Jaime
--
Jaime Tarrant
http://www.tarsysco.com jaime.tarrant@tarsysco.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Jose Luis Rivas Contreras
 
Default ath5k anyone?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Jaime Tarrant wrote:
> * Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com) wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Has anyone had any luck with the ath5k driver? I've installed
>> linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. My /etc/network/interfaces file says:
>>
> [snip]
>> When I say "ifup ath0", iwconfig reveals that ath0 is associated to my
>> AP, ifconfig looks right (as it should with a static config). dmesg
>> looks great too:
>>
> [snip]
>> However, I can't ping my access point.
>>
>> Do I need some extra magic in /etc/network/interfaces?
>>
>> --
>> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG ID:610BD9AD
>>
>>
>
> I had a hard time getting wireless working properly with atheros chipsets and
> then found the following site, which has a link to a script that has worked
> well for me on Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian laptops.
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798485
>
> I have not looked into what this script did differenly to what I was doing,
> however it certainly worked well for me.
>
> Only thing to consider is that you will probably have to re-run it each time
> you do a kernel upgrade, as the script automates building the drivers from
> the madwifi subversion repository against your running kernel.
>
> HTH - Jaime
> --
> Jaime Tarrant
> http://www.tarsysco.com jaime.tarrant@tarsysco.com
>
>
I guess that will work as works module-assistant. In my college I setted
up hundreds of this cards with module-assistant and madwifi-source, just:

# apt-get install madwifi-source module-assistant
# m-a prepare
# m-a update
# m-a a-i madwifi

Then I just made # iwconfig ath0 essid ESSID; dhclient ath0 and it was
done, I was surfing with wireless.

Regards.
- --
Jose Luis Rivas. San Cristóbal, Venezuela. PGP: 0xCACAB118
http://ghostbar.ath.cx/{about,acerca} - http://debian.org.ve
`ghostbar' @ irc.debian.org/#debian-ve,#debian-devel-es
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFITBYiOKCtW8rKsRgRAtawAJ9dDo4A9PY0FF7KhOpB/PuFYVj7bQCgh2+n
46b9i6oAprQGkMZxZ/FCHQw=
=su02
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-08-2008, 05:47 PM
David Goodenough
 
Default ath5k anyone?

On Sunday 08 June 2008, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
> Jaime Tarrant wrote:
> > * Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com) wrote:
> >> Hey folks,
> >>
> >> Has anyone had any luck with the ath5k driver? I've installed
> >> linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. My /etc/network/interfaces file says:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> When I say "ifup ath0", iwconfig reveals that ath0 is associated to my
> >> AP, ifconfig looks right (as it should with a static config). dmesg
> >> looks great too:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> However, I can't ping my access point.
> >>
> >> Do I need some extra magic in /etc/network/interfaces?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG
> >> ID:610BD9AD
> >
> > I had a hard time getting wireless working properly with atheros chipsets
> > and then found the following site, which has a link to a script that has
> > worked well for me on Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian laptops.
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798485
> >
> > I have not looked into what this script did differenly to what I was
> > doing, however it certainly worked well for me.
> >
> > Only thing to consider is that you will probably have to re-run it each
> > time you do a kernel upgrade, as the script automates building the
> > drivers from the madwifi subversion repository against your running
> > kernel.
> >
> > HTH - Jaime
> > --
> > Jaime Tarrant
> > http://www.tarsysco.com jaime.tarrant@tarsysco.com
>
> I guess that will work as works module-assistant. In my college I setted
> up hundreds of this cards with module-assistant and madwifi-source, just:
>
> # apt-get install madwifi-source module-assistant
> # m-a prepare
> # m-a update
> # m-a a-i madwifi
>
> Then I just made # iwconfig ath0 essid ESSID; dhclient ath0 and it was
> done, I was surfing with wireless.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Jose Luis Rivas. San Cristóbal, Venezuela. PGP: 0xCACAB118
> http://ghostbar.ath.cx/{about,acerca} - http://debian.org.ve
> `ghostbar' @ irc.debian.org/#debian-ve,#debian-devel-es

That is the way that I install madwifi, BUT none of this answers the
original question. Ath5k is the new binary firmware free driver for
the Atheros wireless cards, and it is that he wants to use.

I have not tried the ath5k driver yet, but I too would be very interested
to hear from anyone who has made it work.

David


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-09-2008, 04:10 AM
Jaime Tarrant
 
Default ath5k anyone?

* David Goodenough (david.goodenough@btconnect.com) wrote:
> On Sunday 08 June 2008, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
> > Jaime Tarrant wrote:
> > > * Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com) wrote:
> > >> Hey folks,
> > >>
> > >> Has anyone had any luck with the ath5k driver? I've installed
> > >> linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. My /etc/network/interfaces file says:
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > >> When I say "ifup ath0", iwconfig reveals that ath0 is associated to my
> > >> AP, ifconfig looks right (as it should with a static config). dmesg
> > >> looks great too:
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > >> However, I can't ping my access point.
> > >>
> > >> Do I need some extra magic in /etc/network/interfaces?
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG
> > >> ID:610BD9AD
> > >
> > > I had a hard time getting wireless working properly with atheros chipsets
> > > and then found the following site, which has a link to a script that has
> > > worked well for me on Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian laptops.
> > >
> > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798485
> > >
> > > I have not looked into what this script did differenly to what I was
> > > doing, however it certainly worked well for me.
> > >
> > > Only thing to consider is that you will probably have to re-run it each
> > > time you do a kernel upgrade, as the script automates building the
> > > drivers from the madwifi subversion repository against your running
> > > kernel.
> > >
> > > HTH - Jaime
> > > --
> > > Jaime Tarrant
> > > http://www.tarsysco.com jaime.tarrant@tarsysco.com
> >
> > I guess that will work as works module-assistant. In my college I setted
> > up hundreds of this cards with module-assistant and madwifi-source, just:
> >
> > # apt-get install madwifi-source module-assistant
> > # m-a prepare
> > # m-a update
> > # m-a a-i madwifi
> >
> > Then I just made # iwconfig ath0 essid ESSID; dhclient ath0 and it was
> > done, I was surfing with wireless.
> >
> > Regards.
> > --
> > Jose Luis Rivas. San Cristóbal, Venezuela. PGP: 0xCACAB118
> > http://ghostbar.ath.cx/{about,acerca} - http://debian.org.ve
> > `ghostbar' @ irc.debian.org/#debian-ve,#debian-devel-es
>
> That is the way that I install madwifi, BUT none of this answers the
> original question. Ath5k is the new binary firmware free driver for
> the Atheros wireless cards, and it is that he wants to use.
>
> I have not tried the ath5k driver yet, but I too would be very interested
> to hear from anyone who has made it work.
>
> David
>

I am glad some people have had success with module-assistant and the like -
maybe I just have dramas as I am running unstable, however the OP seems to be
as well as he is running kernel 2.6.25.2-2, which is the same as me.

Anyway, the ubuntuforums link that I referenced provides a script that
installs the ath5k version driver. So far, I have not had a single problem. I
do know that a lot of people do seem to be having problems with their atheros
chipsets however (mostly the earlier ath_pci version) as there are many
comments on tickets at madwifi.org (ref: http://madwifi.org/ticket/1562 for
example).

Atleast in my experience, the module assistant approach didn't work as I was
forever plagued by an 'unable to reset hardware' issue.

--
Jaime Tarrant
http://www.tarsysco.com jaime.tarrant@tarsysco.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Paul Johnson
 
Default ath5k anyone?

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 12:55 -0430, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
> I guess that will work as works module-assistant. In my college I setted
> up hundreds of this cards with module-assistant and madwifi-source, just:
>
> # apt-get install madwifi-source module-assistant
> # m-a prepare
> # m-a update
> # m-a a-i madwifi
>
> Then I just made # iwconfig ath0 essid ESSID; dhclient ath0 and it was
> done, I was surfing with wireless.

I believe the same can be accomplished with more time to get coffee in a
one-liner.

# apt-get install module-assistant && m-a a-i madwifi

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca
 
Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 AM
David Goodenough
 
Default ath5k anyone?

On Monday 09 June 2008, Jaime Tarrant wrote:
> * David Goodenough (david.goodenough@btconnect.com) wrote:
> > On Sunday 08 June 2008, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
> > > Jaime Tarrant wrote:
> > > > * Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com) wrote:
> > > >> Hey folks,
> > > >>
> > > >> Has anyone had any luck with the ath5k driver? I've installed
> > > >> linux-image-2.6.25-2-686. My /etc/network/interfaces file says:
> > > >
> > > > [snip]
> > > >
> > > >> When I say "ifup ath0", iwconfig reveals that ath0 is associated to
> > > >> my AP, ifconfig looks right (as it should with a static config).
> > > >> dmesg looks great too:
> > > >
> > > > [snip]
> > > >
> > > >> However, I can't ping my access point.
> > > >>
> > > >> Do I need some extra magic in /etc/network/interfaces?
> > > >>
> > > >> --
> > > >> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG
> > > >> ID:610BD9AD
> > > >
> > > > I had a hard time getting wireless working properly with atheros
> > > > chipsets and then found the following site, which has a link to a
> > > > script that has worked well for me on Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian laptops.
> > > >
> > > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798485
> > > >
> > > > I have not looked into what this script did differenly to what I was
> > > > doing, however it certainly worked well for me.
> > > >
> > > > Only thing to consider is that you will probably have to re-run it
> > > > each time you do a kernel upgrade, as the script automates building
> > > > the drivers from the madwifi subversion repository against your
> > > > running kernel.
> > > >
> > > > HTH - Jaime
> > > > --
> > > > Jaime Tarrant
> > > > http://www.tarsysco.com jaime.tarrant@tarsysco.com
> > >
> > > I guess that will work as works module-assistant. In my college I
> > > setted up hundreds of this cards with module-assistant and
> > > madwifi-source, just:
> > >
> > > # apt-get install madwifi-source module-assistant
> > > # m-a prepare
> > > # m-a update
> > > # m-a a-i madwifi
> > >
> > > Then I just made # iwconfig ath0 essid ESSID; dhclient ath0 and it was
> > > done, I was surfing with wireless.
> > >
> > > Regards.
> > > --
> > > Jose Luis Rivas. San Cristóbal, Venezuela. PGP: 0xCACAB118
> > > http://ghostbar.ath.cx/{about,acerca} - http://debian.org.ve
> > > `ghostbar' @ irc.debian.org/#debian-ve,#debian-devel-es
> >
> > That is the way that I install madwifi, BUT none of this answers the
> > original question. Ath5k is the new binary firmware free driver for
> > the Atheros wireless cards, and it is that he wants to use.
> >
> > I have not tried the ath5k driver yet, but I too would be very interested
> > to hear from anyone who has made it work.
> >
> > David
>
> I am glad some people have had success with module-assistant and the like -
> maybe I just have dramas as I am running unstable, however the OP seems to
> be as well as he is running kernel 2.6.25.2-2, which is the same as me.
As he is running 2.6.25 there is no need to run module-assistant, as ath5k
is build into the kernel. So the problem is not building it, but rather using
it.

David
>
> Anyway, the ubuntuforums link that I referenced provides a script that
> installs the ath5k version driver. So far, I have not had a single problem.
> I do know that a lot of people do seem to be having problems with their
> atheros chipsets however (mostly the earlier ath_pci version) as there are
> many comments on tickets at madwifi.org (ref:
> http://madwifi.org/ticket/1562 for example).
>
> Atleast in my experience, the module assistant approach didn't work as I
> was forever plagued by an 'unable to reset hardware' issue.
>
> --
> Jaime Tarrant
> http://www.tarsysco.com jaime.tarrant@tarsysco.com



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Bill Wohler
 
Default ath5k anyone?

David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> writes:

> As he is running 2.6.25 there is no need to run module-assistant, as
> ath5k is build into the kernel. So the problem is not building it,
> but rather using it.

Hi David,

Correct on all counts. Yes, ath5k is built into 2.6.25 so it should
"just work." And I've been building madwifi-source with m-a and using
it for years.

A recent change in either madwifi or the kernel has caused my wireless
connections to drop periodically which is what prompted me to
investigate ath5k, especially since new development has switched from
madwifi to ath5k.

Also note that I did associate with the AP, but just couldn't set up a
network connection as shown below.

Another reader suggested that my network parameters were missing a
broadcast address, but a default broadcast address is provided, and
adding an explicit address didn't change things.

However Pavel Roskin thought that it might be a WEP issue. Sure
enough, when I disabled WEP, my network came up! So it appears that
ath5k has WEP issues with my device.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG ID:610BD9AD


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org