Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Peter Robinson

Default Java webstart in amd64

Dear all,

although I have seen some pages with advice on how to get java working
in amd64 / testing, I am still a bit confused. Is the best way to go a
chroot environment? In particular, I have not had great experiences with
gcjava and prefer the sun version of java, but no javaws is available at
present for amd64. DOes anyone know of a tutorial on how to get things
rolling?

thanks :_} Peter

Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 08:11:41PM +0200, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> although I have seen some pages with advice on how to get java working
> in amd64 / testing, I am still a bit confused. Is the best way to go a
> chroot environment? In particular, I have not had great experiences with
> gcjava and prefer the sun version of java, but no javaws is available at
> present for amd64. DOes anyone know of a tutorial on how to get things
> rolling?

There is no sun-java-plugin for amd64. If you want official sun java-plugin
on amd64 you'll have to run it in a chroot...

Old 06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
"Walt L. Williams"

Good Morning

Try this link
http://packages.debian.org/etch/sun-java5-jdk

If you look over on the right there are links for
Sun Java 6. I am currently using the the backport
of java 6 on etch without trouble. I would recommend
that you use apt-get or? to install them. I installed
them by downloaded them and installed them
with dpkg, what a pain.

Hope this helps.

--
Best Regards
Walt L. Williams

.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 01:37:35PM +0000, Walt L. Williams wrote:
> Good Morning
>
> Try this link
> http://packages.debian.org/etch/sun-java5-jdk
>
> If you look over on the right there are links for
> Sun Java 6. I am currently using the the backport
> of java 6 on etch without trouble. I would recommend
> that you use apt-get or? to install them. I installed
> them by downloaded them and installed them
> with dpkg, what a pain.

Unless I misread the OP, he is looking for the java plugin. There is
no sun-java plugin for amd64.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Georgi Naplatanov

Heelo, Peter.

IBM's JDK for linux amd64 contains java webstart.
Another option is to install ia32 compatiblity package and to use Sun's
java for i586.

Regards
Georgi

Old 06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:23:58AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 01:37:35PM +0000, Walt L. Williams wrote:
> > Good Morning
> >
> > Try this link
> > http://packages.debian.org/etch/sun-java5-jdk
> >
> > If you look over on the right there are links for
> > Sun Java 6. I am currently using the the backport
> > of java 6 on etch without trouble. I would recommend
> > that you use apt-get or? to install them. I installed
> > them by downloaded them and installed them
> > with dpkg, what a pain.
>
> Unless I misread the OP, he is looking for the java plugin. There is
> no sun-java plugin for amd64.

my bad! I misread...

Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Peter Robinson

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

If you look over on the right there are links for
Sun Java 6. I am currently using the the backport
of java 6 on etch without trouble. I would recommend
that you use apt-get or? to install them. I installed

them by downloaded them and installed them
with dpkg, what a pain.

Unless I misread the OP, he is looking for the java plugin. There is
no sun-java plugin for amd64.

my bad! I misread...

In case anyone else is following this post, I have found an interesting
method of setting things up:

still am working on implementing this on my box tho..gruß P.