Old 06-07-2008, 01:55 PM
André Berger

Default Cross-platform debootstrap/bootlaoder woes

I would like to install Lenny i386 onto an external USB HDD, for use
with a T-Online S100, from a PPC Etch box. The problems are: I can't
compile grub on the PPC box; and I can't chroot to the i386 system.
While I can edit $HDD/etc/fstab and such, I can't seem to write an
i386 bootloader onto the disk. Help!

-André

--
May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!
Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Tera Kernel 2.6/PPC from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org>

Old 06-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 03:55:11PM +0200, André Berger wrote:
> I would like to install Lenny i386 onto an external USB HDD, for use
> with a T-Online S100, from a PPC Etch box. The problems are: I can't
> compile grub on the PPC box; and I can't chroot to the i386 system.
> While I can edit $HDD/etc/fstab and such, I can't seem to write an
> i386 bootloader onto the disk. Help!

I've not tried it, but can you not just cat the bootloader images to
the start of the drive? Download and unpack the appropriate bootloader
and cat the boot image to the start of the device directly.

just a thought.