Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Tenant

Default Server install questions

We just ordered a new 1U server that will operate in a Colo
setup.

The specs are:

Xeon Yorkfield X3350, quad
2.67Ghz, 12M L2, 1333fsb

Supermicro X7SBI socket 775 server board

4-Gig (2x 2G) DDR2-667

2x 750-Gig Seagate ES2 RAID Edition, 7200rpm

on-board Intel ICH9R 4-port SATA-II Controller

on-board Intel dual GB NICs

24-speed slim CD-ROM, no floppy

Supermicro 1U SC813MT-300CB Rackmount Chassis

4x hot-swap SATA bays

supermicro 300-watt power supply

1U Rail Kit

We specified it be installed with Etch 4.0_r3 with software RAID for
the two drives.

So the vendor emails back, asking:

1. Do you want i386 or x86_64 Debian?

2. What will be the partitioning scheme?

Damn if I know. I'd appreciate thoughts on whether to use 32/64 bit
versions, and are there any established partitioning schemes (I always
uesed defaults)

Thanks

Old 06-06-2008, 06:22 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

32 vs 64 bit is a question that you
really should answer. If you are using applications that are only 32 bit then
be prepared for the changes if you go 64bit. If this is a general purpose type
of server (MySQL, Apache, ect ) then I suggest you go 64bit. In my world (eg
everything that I do) the 64bit MySQL works SOOOOOO much better then the 32bit
version doing the same tasks. Some tasks you may not notice the difference in
the slightest. I also have need of upwards of 8GB of memory so that obviously
influenced my decision to go 64bit as well.

*

As for the partitioning, I don’t
know what you are doing so I can’t give you anything more then a few
suggestions. I personally always set aside 10GB for /. I also set my swap space
to be 2x the amount of memory or 5GB, whichever is the smallest. If the box is going
to be using a lot of temporary files I will set a large /tmp partition if need
be. If it is a web server, I usually give /var/www its own partition. I have a
few applications that use /opt extensively so on those systems I give a 10GB
/opt. The rest of the space always goes to /home. It really depends on what you
are doing with the system.

*

Probably not the definitive answer you
wanted, but hopefully it helps ;-)