Old 06-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Fabio Guerinoni

Default USB for potato

Hi,
I have an old computer, that I have resucitate not long ago, running
potato (Debian 2.2). I wanted to load a module, for a USB interface
storage. Apparently, nothing comes with the original distribution..

.. and the packages that are listed under a search on the site,
do not seem appropriate because they need the debian-installer which comes
in the later distributions.

Thank you, Fabio

Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Fabio,

Am 2008-06-06 12:46:36, schrieb Fabio Guerinoni:
> Hi,
> I have an old computer, that I have resucitate not long ago, running
> potato (Debian 2.2). I wanted to load a module, for a USB interface
> storage. Apparently, nothing comes with the original distribution..
> .. and the packages that are listed under a search on the site,
> do not seem appropriate because they need the debian-installer which comes
> in the later distributions.
>
> Thank you, Fabio
------------------------ END OF REPLIED MESSAGE ------------------------

USB-Development has started under Kernel 2.1 and Potato has used 2.2
where it had only rudimentary support. Since Potato CAN run 2.4 Kernels
I suggest you, to try 2.4.8 because the 2.4.24/2.4.36.6 will not more
work (there was a heavy changement in the Kernel).

OK, 2.4.36.6 could work, IF you compile all NEEDED modules INTO the
Kernel which mean, you will not have any loadable modules.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:46:36PM -0500, Fabio Guerinoni wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an old computer, that I have resucitate not long ago, running
> potato (Debian 2.2). I wanted to load a module, for a USB interface
> storage. Apparently, nothing comes with the original distribution..
> .. and the packages that are listed under a search on the site, do
> not seem appropriate because they need the debian-installer which
> comes in the later distributions.

If your kernel support USB, you can manually load with insmod or
modprobe.

But, The latest stable release of Debian is 4.0 (etch). Why are you
using it.

You need to make upgrade step by step or zap everything and install new
sytem.

Actually, the question is
* What do you want with the old PC?
* Why you need USB module? Do you have USB device?
* Do you have important data on that PC?
* Do you have network access from old PC?
* Do you have any means to connect old PC with new one? (serial?)

Anyway, it is not question of which distro to use but what you want to
do is most important. Good luck.

Osamu

Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 01:28:19PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/06/08 12:46, Fabio Guerinoni wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have an old computer, that I have resucitate not long ago, running
> > potato (Debian 2.2). I wanted to load a module, for a USB interface
> > storage. Apparently, nothing comes with the original distribution..
> > .. and the packages that are listed under a search on the site,
> > do not seem appropriate because they need the debian-installer which comes
> > in the later distributions.
>
> Potato is O-L-D ancient. If it's too underpowered for Etch, you
> might need to try Slackware, Gentoo or OpenBSD.

Please do not post this way even if you are trying to be funny. We know
you know a lot about Debian but telling this to newbie accomplishes
nothing but causing bad feels.

Technically, it will take as much extra works to use old underpowered
system no matter what distro he uses.

He may be able to dance through chroot and NFS copy to upgrade system
without installer with Debian. Those distro which requires recompile
such as Gentoo may require much more work...

Let's make this list to help people.

Osamu

Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 17:44 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 01:28:19PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 06/06/08 12:46, Fabio Guerinoni wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have an old computer, that I have resucitate not long ago, running
> > > potato (Debian 2.2). I wanted to load a module, for a USB interface
> > > storage. Apparently, nothing comes with the original distribution..
> > > .. and the packages that are listed under a search on the site,
> > > do not seem appropriate because they need the debian-installer which comes
> > > in the later distributions.
> >
> > Potato is O-L-D ancient. If it's too underpowered for Etch, you
> > might need to try Slackware, Gentoo or OpenBSD.
>
> Please do not post this way even if you are trying to be funny. We know
> you know a lot about Debian but telling this to newbie accomplishes
> nothing but causing bad feels.
>
> Technically, it will take as much extra works to use old underpowered
> system no matter what distro he uses.
>
> He may be able to dance through chroot and NFS copy to upgrade system
> without installer with Debian. Those distro which requires recompile
> such as Gentoo may require much more work...
>
> Let's make this list to help people.

It might just be me, but Ron's advise sounds reasonable and not at all
mean spirited. In fact it is very similar to your advise. Feeling a
little touchy?

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 06-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Kevin Mark

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:46:36PM -0500, Fabio Guerinoni wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an old computer, that I have resucitate not long ago, running
> potato (Debian 2.2). I wanted to load a module, for a USB interface
> storage. Apparently, nothing comes with the original distribution..
> .. and the packages that are listed under a search on the site,
> do not seem appropriate because they need the debian-installer which comes
> in the later distributions.
>
> Thank you, Fabio

If you just need the data, you can remove the HD and find some thing
like a HD enclosure to put it in. They you can attach the HD to some
other machine and get the data.
Just an more unusual option to consider.
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 06-12-2008, 10:27 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:46:36PM -0500, Fabio Guerinoni wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an old computer, that I have resucitate not long ago, running
> potato (Debian 2.2). I wanted to load a module, for a USB interface
> storage. Apparently, nothing comes with the original distribution..
> .. and the packages that are listed under a search on the site,
> do not seem appropriate because they need the debian-installer which comes
> in the later distributions.

Potato's kernel may (likely) doesn't have the module for for the USB
storage. You will likely need to use something more recent.

On my old boxes, I can't get Etch to run due to lack of memory and disk
space. On them, I run OpenBSD just fine. You will find that OpenBSD
works with most USB hardware. Testing is easy: read their FAQ on
www.openbsd.org, download the installer floppy image to a box with a
floppy drive, and make the floppy (if you use Debian, you'll need to use
debian's dd options not the OpenBSD dd options listed in the FAQ). Then
connect the USB device, insert the floppy, power on the box and watch
the dmesg scroll by. OpenBSD's dmesg are the definitive report from the
kernel what hardware it finds. You can go to a shell in the installer
and re-read the dmesg if you want.

As someone else asked, what is the reason for using the old hardware and
for what are you wanting to use it?

Doug.