Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Default printing from the cli and mailcap

Working on another issue, I wanted to print a README.

damon@dam-main:/usr/share/doc/migrationtools$ print ./README
Warning: unknown mime-type for "./README" -- using "application/*"
Error: no "print" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"

A quick look at mailcap showed I really did not want to dive into there
yet

I am using cupsys to print to a lpd network printer. I never tried to
print from the cli before, how do you do it?
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 06-06-2008, 03:27 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 11:13 -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Working on another issue, I wanted to print a README.
>
> damon@dam-main:/usr/share/doc/migrationtools$ print ./README
> Warning: unknown mime-type for "./README" -- using "application/*"
> Error: no "print" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"
>
> A quick look at mailcap showed I really did not want to dive into there
> yet
>
> I am using cupsys to print to a lpd network printer. I never tried to
> print from the cli before, how do you do it?

Never mind. I did not want to spend any time deciphering that above
file. But I did a quick google: how to print cli cups and found this

http://www.g-loaded.eu/2005/11/10/using-a-cups-printer-from-command-line/

and tried this: lpr README and what do you know? It printed!

I knew about lpr, but having never set up lpr (always used cups) I did
not know that would work. So, I got it printed and did not spend a lot
of time trying to figure it out.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

snip

> You might also try a2ps. It can also 'pretty-print' your output.

Nice, thanks!