Old 06-05-2008, 05:38 PM
"Andrew M.A. Cater"

Default Lenny with newest installer on Thinkpad: no sound in KDE, avahi problem

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 07:41:32PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 17:12:49 +0000
> "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Wireless didn't work immediately - following the advice on the wiki
> > exactly and downloading the Intel version 3.0 firmware worked like a
> > charm _EXCEPT_ that I can't get a usable dhcp lease.
> >
> > I've a feeling that avahi is intervening - the laptop always ends up
> > with a 169.* address - and I don't know enough about how to get it to
> > work. DHCP is being given out by a stock Linksys WRT54G which in turn is
> > fed from my cable modem.
>
> Try turning off avahi and see if the dhcp problem persists.
>
> > Andy

I'm embarassed to say that I've solved all of this - sort of - with a
re-install. Since there was no data or accounts on there yet, I hadn't
lost anything

Adding desktop=kde to the end of the installer options got me almost all
the way. An aptitude install elinks and then following the ipw2200
instructions on the Debian wiki allowed me to check that the firmware
was detected.

It still associates only with one of the two possible access points in
the house - but I'm a _lot_ further forward.

AndyC