Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Stephan Seitz

Default Streaming with Debian Testing

Hi!

I have two Debian systems in the same network running Testing. One of
them has an analog TV card (Philips Semiconductors SAA7134/SAA7135HL
Video Broadcast Decoder). I can watch TV with kdetv without problems
using V4L2, but normally I’m not using this system directly. So I tried
to stream the video with vlc, but every example I found in the net seemed
to use a codec not available with the Debian version of ffmpeg (patent
problems). The multimedia repository contains a non-free version of
ffmpeg, but not of vlc.

So how can I stream one TV channel to my other system? An example command
line is greatly appreciated.

Someone from debian-multimedia suggested mythtv which I will try the next
days, but from the description I come to understand that mythtv is
a complete video recorder. It may be a little oversized.

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal@gmx.de |
| PGP Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/pgp.html |

Old 06-06-2008, 06:12 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

Fraid I tried to tackle the same problem a few months ago and didn't
quite get the desired results either. I ran into the same problem where
I had to compile the latest version of vlc with all of the extra goodies
myself. I also ended up ripping out the ffmpeg packages from Ubuntu to
get some things working. Of course my problem was that I was trying to
dig into a streaming video that was being broadcast in some kind of
crappy windows streaming format and not from a TV tuner so I hope you
have better luck.

As for MythTV, it is a wonderful product and it does streaming really
well. If you are recording a show and then streaming it, the MythWeb
package offers streaming or downloading. If you are wanting to just
stream live TV, there is a package for that as well and I know I have
seen talk about hooking up other frontends clients to the stream (eg so
you can have vlc as the client and not install mythtv frontend) but I
have never tried doing that so I am afraid I can't give much help on
that one.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Stephan Seitz