Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Default IP forwarding drops out.

I have my network front end running Debian sarge (yet, it's time to
upgrade at lest to etch). It's connected to the rest of the net by a
DSL line. I've set up port-forwarding to selected machines on my LAN
for the convenience of certain games, and bittorrent, and I'd like to
use it for some always-on applications.

But every now and then, once every week or two, the port-forwarding
drops out, and I have to reestablish it by running the same script that
gets run on startup.

Does anyone have any idea how to track down the problem? I've looked at
the system logs and not found anything suspicious. But probably I don't
know which logs to look in, or what to look for in them, and it would be
as plain as day if I did.

If this is a known sarge problem, of course upgrading to etch would be
the solution.

-- hendrik

Old 06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 11:11:55AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> I have my network front end running Debian sarge (yet, it's time to
> upgrade at lest to etch). It's connected to the rest of the net by a
> DSL line. I've set up port-forwarding to selected machines on my LAN
> for the convenience of certain games, and bittorrent, and I'd like to
> use it for some always-on applications.
>
> But every now and then, once every week or two, the port-forwarding
> drops out, and I have to reestablish it by running the same script that
> gets run on startup.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to track down the problem? I've looked at
> the system logs and not found anything suspicious. But probably I don't
> know which logs to look in, or what to look for in them, and it would be
> as plain as day if I did.
>
> If this is a known sarge problem, of course upgrading to etch would be
> the solution.

just a couple of suggestions.

1) if you're planning to upgrade, go ahead and do it, the problem may
just go away. That doesn't really necessarily solve the problem
though...

2) does your DSL connection go down from time to time? maybe it's
dropping out and the system isn't recovering properly.

3) next time it goes down, instead of just rerunning the network
scripts, see if you can diagnose the situation a little bit. look at
the output of

ifconfig
route
and maybe get a dump from iptables.

then compare to the state of things when the system is working.