-   -   64bit virtual guest (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/101053-64bit-virtual-guest.html)

Alex Samad 06-05-2008 12:52 AM

64bit virtual guest

Hi

I have been using vmware-server for a while, but would like to use a
open source product instead, so I dove into virtualbox-ose, looks okay
but I have run into some hiccups, can't install a 64bit guest :( downer
for me.

My next thought, before going back to vmware, was qemu, does it handle
64b guests and can I start a vm headless, that was the other problem i
had with virtualbox

Alex

--
"Well, that's going to be up to the pundits and the people to make up their mind. I'll tell you what is a president for him, for example, talking about my record in the state of Texas. I mean, he's willing to say anything in order to convince people that I haven't had a good record in Texas."

- George W. Bush
09/20/2000
on MSNBC

"David Fox" 06-06-2008 03:57 AM

64bit virtual guest

On 6/4/08, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> My next thought, before going back to vmware, was qemu, does it handle
> 64b guests and can I start a vm headless, that was the other problem i
> had with virtualbox

I tried it with the 64-bit sabayon dvd I have here and it tells me it
only thinks I have an i686 CPU (I have amd64) so I suspect not. The
manpage only indicates (via -M ?) that it supports PC and isa only PC.
I suspect it's 32-bit only.

"Damon L. Chesser" 06-06-2008 12:56 PM

64bit virtual guest

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:52 +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been using vmware-server for a while, but would like to use a
> open source product instead, so I dove into virtualbox-ose, looks okay
> but I have run into some hiccups, can't install a 64bit guest :( downer
> for me.
>

> My next thought, before going back to vmware, was qemu, does it handle
> 64b guests and can I start a vm headless, that was the other problem i
> had with virtualbox
>
> Alex

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines

HTH
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Alex Samad 06-06-2008 10:11 PM

64bit virtual guest

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:56:34AM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:52 +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have been using vmware-server for a while, but would like to use a
> > open source product instead, so I dove into virtualbox-ose, looks okay
> > but I have run into some hiccups, can't install a 64bit guest :( downer
> > for me.
> >

> > My next thought, before going back to vmware, was qemu, does it handle
> > 64b guests and can I start a vm headless, that was the other problem i
> > had with virtualbox
> >
> > Alex
>
> See here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines

great thanks, exactual what I was after

> HTH
> --
> Damon L. Chesser
> damon@damtek.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser

--
"We will make sure our troops have all that is necessary to complete their missions. That's why I went to the Congress last September and proposed fundamental -- supplemental funding, which is money for armor and body parts and ammunition and fuel."

- George W. Bush
09/04/2004
Erie, PA