Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 PM
"Javier Vasquez"

Default Has anyone used crosshurd to install debian/gnu Linux?

Hi,

I'm thinking on performing a fresh install on a 2nd partition. I was
thinking on using crosshurd (I've used it to install hurd, but never
linux), since according to its sid package web page [1], it looks like
crosshurd can do it:

Install a Debian system

crosshurd uses apt and a bit of black magic to setup a functional
Debian system. It supports the following target systems:

- linux-gnu (GNU/Linux)
- gnu (GNU/Hurd)
- kfreebsd-gnu (GNU/kFreeBSD)
- knetbsd-gnu (GNU/kNetBSD)

If crosshurd can be used to install linux-gnu, is there a howto
around? As I said, I've used it to install hurd before, but
afterwords a ./native-install was required... Not sure if the linux
cross-install would require any special script running after booting
or something... Neither I'm about crosshurd being able to install
linx, ... Just wanted to know, since I think crosshurd is pretty
simple and easy to use, ...

Thanks,

--
Javier

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/crosshurd

Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:08:44PM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> I'm thinking on performing a fresh install on a 2nd partition. I was
> thinking on using crosshurd (I've used it to install hurd, but never
> linux), since according to its sid package web page [1], it looks like
> crosshurd can do it:

Lets look at the why. Why do you want to do it? Debian has debootstrap
to install to a partition from an existing unix system (IIRC, it only
uses wget and sh). What will crosshurd give you that either debootstrap
or just the netinst.iso won't?

Doug.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
"Javier Vasquez"

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:08:44PM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
>> I'm thinking on performing a fresh install on a 2nd partition. I was
>> thinking on using crosshurd (I've used it to install hurd, but never
>> linux), since according to its sid package web page [1], it looks like
>> crosshurd can do it:
>>

> Lets look at the why. Why do you want to do it? Debian has debootstrap
> to install to a partition from an existing unix system (IIRC, it only
> uses wget and sh). What will crosshurd give you that either debootstrap
> or just the netinst.iso won't?
>
> Doug.

I've never used debootstrap. I have used crosshurd. Besides
crosshurd is pretty simple, one just needs to specify the repositories
from where to get the packages, which can be under "unstable" which is
what I want as well (this doesn't mean with debootstrap I can't
achieve the same thing), and then run crosshurd. It's that simple...

So basically because I've used crosshurd before, and I got used to it.
But if there's no experience with crosshurd, then I'd better go with
something others have tried and works... I'll search the web for
debootstrap to see how it works...

thanks,

--
Javier

Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
"Javier Vasquez"

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:08:44PM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
>>> I'm thinking on performing a fresh install on a 2nd partition. I was
>>> thinking on using crosshurd (I've used it to install hurd, but never
>>> linux), since according to its sid package web page [1], it looks like
>>> crosshurd can do it:
>>>

>> Lets look at the why. Why do you want to do it? Debian has debootstrap
>> to install to a partition from an existing unix system (IIRC, it only
>> uses wget and sh). What will crosshurd give you that either debootstrap
>> or just the netinst.iso won't?
>>
>> Doug.
>
> I've never used debootstrap. I have used crosshurd. Besides
> crosshurd is pretty simple, one just needs to specify the repositories
> from where to get the packages, which can be under "unstable" which is
> what I want as well (this doesn't mean with debootstrap I can't
> achieve the same thing), and then run crosshurd. It's that simple...
>
> So basically because I've used crosshurd before, and I got used to it.
> But if there's no experience with crosshurd, then I'd better go with
> something others have tried and works... I'll search the web for
> debootstrap to see how it works...

It looks simple as well... I took a look at:

Hopefully it's that simple, ... I hope I can call for "unstable" or

Thanks,

--
Javier