FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Ken Heard
 
Default Etch won't load after eight attempts

On 26 March 2008 I purchased a computer with an Intel dual core CPU and
a SATA hard drive. Since then I have off and on spent in the aggregate
77.94 hours trying to install and configure Etch on it using the third
revision of net-install disk.

I have so far made eight attempts to get a working system using the
Debian installer. Each time something happened to make the installation
unusable, and I could not find any way to fix each problem without
starting the installation all over again.

What happened earlier today is more or less typical of the what I have
been up against. I was able to complete the eighth installation with
the xfs file system and KDE. On the recommendation of the installer I
used the LILO boot loader instead of GRUB.

One of the first things I did by way of configuration today was to run
aptitude update and then to run aptitude upgrade. On of the packages to
be upgraded was the kernel (2.6.18-6-686). As part of the configuration
of this package by aptitude, I was told that this was the same kernel
already installed and that consequently I would have to reboot as soon
as the upgrade was finished.

I did so, but the reboot ended when the machine hung after returning
the following the following message:

"LILO 22.6.1 Loading EBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO
second stage"

What does this message mean? What if anything can I do to get the
machine working again? (Subsquent boots returned the same message after
booting?)

Or is my only option to attempt a ninth installation and hope for the best?

Ken Heard






--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"
 
Default Etch won't load after eight attempts

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:47:01PM -0400, Ken Heard wrote:

> What happened earlier today is more or less typical of the what I have
> been up against. I was able to complete the eighth installation with
> the xfs file system and KDE. On the recommendation of the installer I
> used the LILO boot loader instead of GRUB.

I don't remember the installer making a recommendation for LILO. I'd go
with GRUB.

>
> One of the first things I did by way of configuration today was to run
> aptitude update and then to run aptitude upgrade. On of the packages to
> be upgraded was the kernel (2.6.18-6-686). As part of the configuration
> of this package by aptitude, I was told that this was the same kernel
> already installed and that consequently I would have to reboot as soon
> as the upgrade was finished.

Well, at least you know the installer will work since you are able to
run aptitude. I do wish that Debian didn't use the same kernel version
number for updates since on very rare occasions one ends up with an
unbootable system.

> I did so, but the reboot ended when the machine hung after returning
> the following the following message:
>
> "LILO 22.6.1 Loading EBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO
> second stage"
>
> What does this message mean? What if anything can I do to get the
> machine working again? (Subsquent boots returned the same message after
> booting?)
>
> Or is my only option to attempt a ninth installation and hope for the best?
>

I don't know what the problem is since I haven't used LILO since, I
think, Potato (IOW, I think I was using Grub on Sarge).

You could go ahead and reinstall and use Grub. If you want to try to
fis things, here's what I'd suggest:

1. Boot the installer in rescue mode and get a shell chrooted to
your system. It will then be like the system booted.

2. Use aptitude and install grub while removing LILO.

3. Since the kernel install itself went OK, you may now be fine.

4. If not, Grub may give you a better error message.


Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 AM
"Mumia W.."
 
Default Etch won't load after eight attempts

On 06/03/2008 06:47 PM, Ken Heard wrote:

On 26 March 2008 I purchased a computer with an Intel dual core CPU and
a SATA hard drive. Since then I have off and on spent in the aggregate
77.94 hours trying to install and configure Etch on it using the third
revision of net-install disk.



Whoa!


I have so far made eight attempts to get a working system using the
Debian installer. Each time something happened to make the installation
unusable, and I could not find any way to fix each problem without
starting the installation all over again.

What happened earlier today is more or less typical of the what I have
been up against. I was able to complete the eighth installation with
the xfs file system and KDE. On the recommendation of the installer I
used the LILO boot loader instead of GRUB.



It is absolutely necessary that you use XFS? AFAIK, XFS and Grub don't
mix very well. That's probably the reason why the installer recommended
LILO; however, I doubt that installation with LILO is as well debugged
as installation using Grub.



One of the first things I did by way of configuration today was to run
aptitude update and then to run aptitude upgrade. On of the packages to
be upgraded was the kernel (2.6.18-6-686). As part of the configuration
of this package by aptitude, I was told that this was the same kernel
already installed and that consequently I would have to reboot as soon
as the upgrade was finished.



I would suggest rebooting as soon as the base system is installed. You
need to know that booting works as soon as possible, and the base system
should be a bootable system.



I did so, but the reboot ended when the machine hung after returning
the following the following message:

"LILO 22.6.1 Loading EBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO
second stage"



A wild guess is that you only need to do "/sbin/lilo" after you've
managed to boot the system. Use a rescue disk that will let you chroot
into your partition. Etch CD#1 allows you to do this (it's saved me a
couple of times).


I also recommend getting a Knoppix disk for situations like these.


What does this message mean? What if anything can I do to get the
machine working again? (Subsquent boots returned the same message after
booting?)

Or is my only option to attempt a ninth installation and hope for the best?

Ken Heard



Re-read the LILO documentation--especially the part where it says
"Always do /sbin/lilo."


LILO is not like Grub. LILO can't read paritions--only disk sectors.
When LILO is installed (/sbin/lilo), it creates list of sectors (a
sector-map) to read upon bootup. Any changes to any of the files used by
lilo require that the sector-map be recreated (/sbin/lilo).


Whenever you change any aspect of LILO's configuration, or whenever you
make any changes to the kernel, "always do /sbin/lilo."


Good luck.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-04-2008, 04:11 AM
David Clymer
 
Default Etch won't load after eight attempts

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 21:12 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:47:01PM -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
>
> > What happened earlier today is more or less typical of the what I have
> > been up against. I was able to complete the eighth installation with
> > the xfs file system and KDE. On the recommendation of the installer I
> > used the LILO boot loader instead of GRUB.
>
> I don't remember the installer making a recommendation for LILO. I'd go
> with GRUB.

The installer installs LILO in cases that GRUB can't handle. Since GRUB
has to grok the block device and filesystem on which the /boot/grub
folder resides, it's no good if you try to boot from an LVM partition,
for example. LILO just points you at a particular part of the disk and
says "Start reading here", roughly speaking. So LILO's dumbness has its
advantages.

How exactly are you installing? Are you doing any unusual (raid5, LVM,
some uncommon filesystem) configuration of the root filesystem? If so, I
would recommend creating a separate ext2 /boot filesystem so that you
can use grub to boot. Once the kernel is loaded, it should be able to
understand any exotic set up you were able to create at install time.

> >
> > One of the first things I did by way of configuration today was to run
> > aptitude update and then to run aptitude upgrade. On of the packages to
> > be upgraded was the kernel (2.6.18-6-686). As part of the configuration
> > of this package by aptitude, I was told that this was the same kernel
> > already installed and that consequently I would have to reboot as soon
> > as the upgrade was finished.
>
> Well, at least you know the installer will work since you are able to
> run aptitude. I do wish that Debian didn't use the same kernel version
> number for updates since on very rare occasions one ends up with an
> unbootable system.
>
> > I did so, but the reboot ended when the machine hung after returning
> > the following the following message:
> >
> > "LILO 22.6.1 Loading EBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO
> > second stage"
> >
> > What does this message mean? What if anything can I do to get the
> > machine working again? (Subsquent boots returned the same message after
> > booting?)
> >
> > Or is my only option to attempt a ninth installation and hope for the best?
> >

Since I don't know how to fix the error you describe, I would go with
the 9th install, trying the method I suggested.

>
> I don't know what the problem is since I haven't used LILO since, I
> think, Potato (IOW, I think I was using Grub on Sarge).
>
> You could go ahead and reinstall and use Grub. If you want to try to
> fis things, here's what I'd suggest:
>
> 1. Boot the installer in rescue mode and get a shell chrooted to
> your system. It will then be like the system booted.
>
> 2. Use aptitude and install grub while removing LILO.
>
> 3. Since the kernel install itself went OK, you may now be fine.
>
> 4. If not, Grub may give you a better error message.
>

I somehow doubt this will work. The installer probably chose LILO for a
good reason.

-davidc

--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg
 
Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 AM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default Etch won't load after eight attempts

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:11:33AM -0400, David Clymer <david@zettazebra.com> was heard to say:
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 21:12 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > I don't know what the problem is since I haven't used LILO since, I
> > think, Potato (IOW, I think I was using Grub on Sarge).
> >
> > You could go ahead and reinstall and use Grub. If you want to try to
> > fis things, here's what I'd suggest:
> >
> > 1. Boot the installer in rescue mode and get a shell chrooted to
> > your system. It will then be like the system booted.
> >
> > 2. Use aptitude and install grub while removing LILO.
> >
> > 3. Since the kernel install itself went OK, you may now be fine.
> >
> > 4. If not, Grub may give you a better error message.
> >
>
> I somehow doubt this will work. The installer probably chose LILO for a
> good reason.

I agree with that. It might be worth trying to boot in rescue mode
and running lilo manually, though. It sounds to me like maybe something
went wrong with the lilo installation after the kernel upgrade.

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Christopher Judd
 
Default Etch won't load after eight attempts

On Wednesday 04 June 2008, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:11:33AM -0400, David Clymer
<david@zettazebra.com> was heard to say:
> > On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 21:12 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > > I don't know what the problem is since I haven't used LILO since,
> > > I think, Potato (IOW, I think I was using Grub on Sarge).
> > >
> > > You could go ahead and reinstall and use Grub. If you want to
> > > try to fis things, here's what I'd suggest:
> > >
> > > 1. Boot the installer in rescue mode and get a shell chrooted to
> > > your system. It will then be like the system booted.
> > >
> > > 2. Use aptitude and install grub while removing LILO.
> > >
> > > 3. Since the kernel install itself went OK, you may now be fine.
> > >
> > > 4. If not, Grub may give you a better error message.
> >
> > I somehow doubt this will work. The installer probably chose LILO
> > for a good reason.
>
> I agree with that. It might be worth trying to boot in rescue mode
> and running lilo manually, though. It sounds to me like maybe
> something went wrong with the lilo installation after the kernel
> upgrade.
>
> Daniel

Hi, guys,

I think that its worth installing grub. If it boots as far as the
menu you can switch to the command line and do some checks, or edit the
menu entries before booting if they're incorrect.

-Chris

------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. judd@wadsworth.org |
------------------------------------------------------------------------


IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It
is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org