-   -   browser oddities (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/1-browser-oddities.html)

David Zelinsky 11-15-2007 11:52 PM

browser oddities

I'm having a couple of different problems with my web browser.
I haven't been able to find any mention of solutions, so any help
or pointers would be welcome.

1. Missing "hide left bar" arrow in Google maps.
In google maps, there's supposed to be a little blue arrow on the left
edge of the map, between the map pane and the area to left with search
results. Clicking on the arrow is supposed to expand the map to fill
the whole window.

This used to appear in firefox, but a few months ago after an upgrade,
it's no longer there. So there's no way to hide that left bar and get
a larger map.

I've tried other browsers. Mozilla and Konqueror have the same
problem. In Opera, the arrow appears and works as it should.

2. Flash image obscuring text.
-------------------------------
I've recently started seeing web pages using flash, in which some
flash image obscures text. In once case, there was a navigation bar
overlapping the pages's text, which couldn't be made to go away. In
another case, a popup menu popped up _behind_ a flash image, making
it impossible to see or click on the menu entries.

This same problem occurs in mozilla (not surprisingly), but not in
konqueror.

Any suggestions?

Here are the browser versions I'm using:

||/ Name Version Description
+++-===============================-===============================-================================================== ============================
ii iceweasel 2.0.0.6+2.0.0.8-0etch1 lightweight web browser based on Mozilla
ii iceape-browser 1.0.10~pre070720-0etch3 Iceape Navigator (Internet browser) and Composer
ii konqueror 3.5.5a.dfsg.1-6etch1 KDE's advanced file manager, web browser and document viewer

--
David Zelinsky

Raj Kiran Grandhi 11-16-2007 01:50 AM

browser oddities

David Zelinsky wrote:

I'm having a couple of different problems with my web browser.
I haven't been able to find any mention of solutions, so any help
or pointers would be welcome.

1. Missing "hide left bar" arrow in Google maps.
In google maps, there's supposed to be a little blue arrow on the left
edge of the map, between the map pane and the area to left with search
results. Clicking on the arrow is supposed to expand the map to fill
the whole window.

Change the user-agent string from Iceweasel to Firefox (You can find it
in about:config, search for useragent.

2. Flash image obscuring text.
-------------------------------
I've recently started seeing web pages using flash, in which some
flash image obscures text. In once case, there was a navigation bar
overlapping the pages's text, which couldn't be made to go away. In
another case, a popup menu popped up _behind_ a flash image, making
it impossible to see or click on the menu entries.

Yes, that is annoying. But flash *is* annoying anyway, so I just adblock
it away!

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

11-16-2007 02:54 AM

browser oddities

Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajkiran@gmail.com> writes:

> David Zelinsky wrote:
> > I'm having a couple of different problems with my web browser.
> > I haven't been able to find any mention of solutions, so any help
> > or pointers would be welcome.
> > 1. Missing "hide left bar" arrow in Google maps.
> > In google maps, there's supposed to be a little blue arrow on the left
> > edge of the map, between the map pane and the area to left with search
> > results. Clicking on the arrow is supposed to expand the map to fill
> > the whole window.
>
> Change the user-agent string from Iceweasel to Firefox (You can find
> it in about:config, search for useragent.

Wow, that works! I'm very happy to have wide maps again!

> > 2. Flash image obscuring text.
> > -------------------------------
> > I've recently started seeing web pages using flash, in which some
> > flash image obscures text. In once case, there was a navigation bar
> > overlapping the pages's text, which couldn't be made to go away. In
> > another case, a popup menu popped up _behind_ a flash image, making
> > it impossible to see or click on the menu entries.
>
> Yes, that is annoying. But flash *is* annoying anyway, so I just
> adblock it away!

I tried it, and it does fix these problems, which is useful. But it
also breaks things, like youtube. What I really want is to make flash
in firefox behave the same as in other browsers.

Thanks for your help!

--
David

Kamaraju Kusumanchi 11-16-2007 03:10 AM

browser oddities

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:20:49 +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

>> 2. Flash image obscuring text.
>> -------------------------------
>> I've recently started seeing web pages using flash, in which some flash
>> image obscures text. In once case, there was a navigation bar
>> overlapping the pages's text, which couldn't be made to go away. In
>> another case, a popup menu popped up _behind_ a flash image, making it
>> impossible to see or click on the menu entries.
>
> Yes, that is annoying. But flash *is* annoying anyway, so I just adblock
> it away!

adblock is great! But does not seem to work on all the flash images.
Sometimes I see a flash advertisement. But there is no "block" tab. Any
suggestions about that?

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Raj Kiran Grandhi 11-16-2007 12:08 PM

browser oddities

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:

I've recently started seeing web pages using flash, in which some flash
image obscures text. In once case, there was a navigation bar
overlapping the pages's text, which couldn't be made to go away. In
another case, a popup menu popped up _behind_ a flash image, making it
impossible to see or click on the menu entries.

Yes, that is annoying. But flash *is* annoying anyway, so I just adblock
it away!

adblock is great! But does not seem to work on all the flash images.
Sometimes I see a flash advertisement. But there is no "block" tab. Any
suggestions about that?

Any example page? You can probably try to block it in the "Blockable
items" tab of Adblock+. Also, I heard that flashblock (or some similar
sounding extension) is good, though I never used it myself.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Marc Shapiro 11-16-2007 02:12 PM

browser oddities

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:

I've recently started seeing web pages using flash, in which some
flash

image obscures text. In once case, there was a navigation bar
overlapping the pages's text, which couldn't be made to go away. In
another case, a popup menu popped up _behind_ a flash image, making it
impossible to see or click on the menu entries.
Yes, that is annoying. But flash *is* annoying anyway, so I just
adblock

it away!

adblock is great! But does not seem to work on all the flash images.
Sometimes I see a flash advertisement. But there is no "block" tab.
Any suggestions about that?

Any example page? You can probably try to block it in the "Blockable
items" tab of Adblock+. Also, I heard that flashblock (or some similar
sounding extension) is good, though I never used it myself.

I have both installed and find it works quite well. With flashblock,
you only run flash applets IF YOU WANT TO by clicking on them.
Otherwise, they don't run.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

"Kelly Clowers" 11-16-2007 06:15 PM

browser oddities

On Nov 16, 2007 7:12 AM, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> > Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> >>
> >> adblock is great! But does not seem to work on all the flash images.
> >> Sometimes I see a flash advertisement. But there is no "block" tab.
> >> Any suggestions about that?
> >
> > Any example page? You can probably try to block it in the "Blockable
> > items" tab of Adblock+. Also, I heard that flashblock (or some similar
> > sounding extension) is good, though I never used it myself.
> >

> I have both installed and find it works quite well. With flashblock,
> you only run flash applets IF YOU WANT TO by clicking on them.
> Otherwise, they don't run.

Flashblock is great, I used to install it first thing on a new browser
install. Now I use Noscript, which can block Java, Silverlight, iframes,
and any other <object>s, and, of course, scripts. Noscript Flash and
Java blocking works just like Flashblock. The script blocking is more
annoying until you turn off the "slide up" notifications and allow JS on
the the top JS-using sites you visit. From there on it works great.

Between Adblock+ and Noscript I find many pages load much faster
and browser stability is much improved.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Ólafur Jens Siguršsson 11-17-2007 10:26 AM

browser oddities

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 08:20:49AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Change the user-agent string from Iceweasel to Firefox (You can find it in
> about:config, search for useragent.

Hi, I am using Epiphany and see the same thing as the original poster,
that is, there is no arrow to fill out the screen. This is not a
solution for Epiphany users I would think, and iceweasel users should
not have to do that.

Is this a problem in the code of the gecko engine or is it a problem
with the code in the maps.google.com pages?

Best regards

Oli